Clod Buster Powertrain Options

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Clod Buster Powertrain Options

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:58 pm

taz11 wrote:
andymac0035 wrote:They make a reverse-rotation titan monster 550 for use in the e-revo. This seems odd, as these monster 550's are supposed to have nuetral timing, but I have found in my personal expreience, that the reverse motor DOES run better on the rear axle than the normal rotation motor.
I can shed some light on this part. I found out some interesting stuff about motors back when I was modding Power wheels. The power Wheels motors also have zero timing but the one spinning backwards almost always burned up first.

In reality zero timed motors are not truly set at zero. When a motor runs the magnetic field inside deflects with the rotation of the motor. The timing of the motor is adjusted so that it is timed at zero at its peak efficiency. However, when it runs in reverse the magnetic field deflects in the opposite direction throwing the timing out X2 (deflection plus the original correction).

If you want more info you can google "armature reaction" or "commutation correction" and you'll find some more detail on it.
I find this to be very interesting. I also wonder where the silver can falls into all of this, as it's commonly run in reverse on the clods and I have never had one burn out prematurely, compared to the front, that is to say, when staying whithin it's range of tolerable voltage (3S).

It's also begs the question of how the HPI 15t firebolts fare (also neutral timing), as I know many of the brushed guys run these, and I kinda' want to try them out eventually myself. I like the e-revo titans, but between the length of the can, and adding to it with adjustable motor mounts, it sure is a lot to have hanging off of these gearboxes.

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:33 am

do alot of people run modified 540s? or are they just under powered? im trying to figure out what sytems i want to buy this thread has done nothing but get me thinking more! i wanna keep it simple but it seems like brushless is the way to go, looks like ill end up having an evx2 system laying around for winter an dual brushless for summer.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:43 am

You can run dual VXL systems year-round if that's your priority.

Having been on both sides of the coin, I still prefer the EVX-2.
Just so much simpler doing brushed.
The titans are great when running 4S and geared up.... if you can fit them.... LOL

The first thing you have to decide is what you want the truck to do, followed by how fast (or slow) you want it to be. Budget is also a factor.

Tug4090
Approved Member

Post by Tug4090 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Speaking of Titans, I was at my local Hobbytown USA yesterday. Was getting ready to buy a EVX2 and two Titan 12T 550s..... but right on the tag for the Titan said "Not recommended for dual motor vehicles" so I didnt buy it.

I definetely want the EVX2 but Im stuck on which brushed motors to run.

I still havent gotten my CPE terminator chassis in yet (its been almost 7 weeks) and I dont know yet if Im restricted to 2S or if it will accept a 3S Lipo.

Should I go back and buy the Titan 12Ts?????

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:24 pm

There are 3 different TITAN motors I think .. 21T ccw/cw rotation for Erevo..12T ccw/cw for Erevo.. and the titan 12t for slash and other..
Last edited by TnTpoof on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tug4090
Approved Member

Post by Tug4090 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Interesting.

So has anybody had luck with finding a universal waterproof receiver box to use on these?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm

TnTpoof wrote:There are 3 different TITAN motors I think .. 21T ccw/cw rotation for Erevo..12T ccw/cw for Erevo.. and the titan 12t for slash and other..
There are 4 different titan 550's.

There is no reverse rotation titan 12T motor. I wish there were. The (big) e-revo does not use the titan 12T at all.

Other than the Summit, with it's HUGE titan 775, all single brushed motor (current) traxxas vehicles use the titan 12T standard rotation motor.

The e-maxx uses two standard rotation titan "monster" 550 motors which are 21T.

The (big) e-revo uses one standard rotation 21T motor, and one reverse rotation 21T motor.

There is also the titan "marine" 550 which is a 23T motor and only comes in standard rotation.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Tug4090 wrote:Interesting.

So has anybody had luck with finding a universal waterproof receiver box to use on these?
The one used in the traxxas rusler and stampede is pretty compact, but I personally like the one that comes with the 2WD traxxas slash.

Clod-man
Approved Member

Post by Clod-man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:02 am

I Just bought a Txt-1 from Tamiya Club. It came from the Netherlands. Came with a Keyence Esc, can it take lipos? .

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Update time:

I need to add the geared-up titan info to page one, but that's not the reason for this post.

I have been running HPI 15T firebolts (540-size) in my clodbuster (terminator). My experience has been, for the most part, unpleasant. I bought these new and gave them a proper break-in prior to use, running them in the direction they would go on the truck. After that I installed them using 19t pinion (vs 13t) with the intention of using only 2S lipo. This proved a huge let-down after the 21T 550's on 4S. The motors seemed sluggish the rear one stalled badly, I think it was weaker and not up to the load of being on the rear axle. Battery life was also horrible with this set-up (around 5 minutes).

I then pulled them out, rotated them F+R, putting the stronger one out back, put stock 13T pinions on them, and ran them on 3S lipo. This was a LOT better, speeds seemed comparable to silver cans on 4S and battery run time improved as well. I was running on snow, having much fun, all seemed well....after putting it under heavy load a few times... the rear motor started giving of that burnt-smell-of-death.... all through this run, and all that followed..... the motors were fine *IF* allowed to run without much load/resistance at the tires.

Translation:
If you are running on hard surfaces, or racing in short heats, you won't care.
If you are out bashing around in your yard for the duration of the battery, you will care!

In addition, since these were burning up (on 3S) with stock gearing, and had only "okay" punch/torque, In my opinion, gearing these up would be an exersize in futility.

I think I had 5 or six runs on these, and today the rear motor toasted.... :thumbsdown:
The snow was a little soft, but the truck wasn't really sinking, and it certainly was not the heavy-wet snow that usually kills stuff. After that I ran it up and down the road for several minutes under heavy throttle trying to see if the front motor was going to pop.... it did not.... in light of that....in my personal opinion, I don't believe HPI when they say these have neutral timing.

If you need a 540 brushed motor because you can't fit 550's.... stick with the stock silver cans. They can take 3S and heavy loads all day long, and will take 4S for about as long as the firebolts take 3S, and give about the same speed, and better torque while doing it.....and better run time too.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:11 am

In hindsight I would done as you suggested and tried silver cans with 3S. I use the Firebolts on 2S in two trucks and haven't had any issues with them. I run 15t pinions on one and I find it lacks punch. The other truck has 13t pinions and that one is fine, albeit with slower top speed.

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:07 am

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:32 am

Gunder463 wrote:ever tried these andy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-1172-D ... 1e8904ab12
Nope, but I'm pretty sure they are the same motor, just with a different sticker..... LOL

fastfreddy

Post by fastfreddy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm

I just completed my clodzilla 4 build , decided to go with twin castle sidewinder 3 esc's and 3800 kv motors on a single 3s lipo. I'm just waiting for the wheel hexes from rc4wd to try it out. Has anyone run this setup before?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Yes, this has been tried. The person that tried it was using 2S, and had to gear up (he wasn't happy).
Going to 3S, will gain you speed, but don't be surprised if you break LOTS of stuff.