Clod Buster Powertrain Options

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Clod Buster Powertrain Options

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:07 am

No, it is simply a means to equalize the power draw off of two separate batteries.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:41 am

A small update, I will be editing this into the main posts on the front page.

I have been experimenting with the stock "silver can" (brushed) motors and a mamba max pro brushless esc. It was brought to my attention that a few people were using 4S lipo with the stock cans, and I decided to try it in my mostly stock clod.

This worked really well!! :D
But since I was running my clod under heavy load (and trigger finger) in the snow, it proved to be very hard on the motors and I burnt a pair out in short order.

I got a new pair of motors and noticed that thier brushes were wearing down REALLY fast. :shock:
I then dropped down to 3S lipo, and this has proven to be the sweet-spot for me, with hard-running of the clod. I have put a lot of runs on the motors since then. They are still hanging in there. I actually expected them to fail several runs ago....but nope....not yet.

Stats:
On 4S lipo, with stock gearing on a hard-packed snow covered road: 16 mph
On 3S lipo, with stock gearing on a hard-packed snow covered road: 13-14 mph
I will get better #'s once the snow melts and the road firms up some.
Speeds were measured with a garmin nuvi GPS.

Regardless, these #'s show that the silver cans are a viable alternative to the titans.
Next up will be....gearing up. :mrgreen:

frogs84ss
Approved Member

Post by frogs84ss » Fri May 03, 2013 2:19 am

just wondering what kinda speeds where you getting with the xl5 and 2s? I'm trying to decide between 2s or 3s xl5 or evx but defenitly running the stock 540's.
If it's green it's for me

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:31 am

frogs84ss wrote:just wondering what kinda speeds where you getting with the xl5 and 2s? I'm trying to decide between 2s or 3s xl5 or evx but defenitly running the stock 540's.
I never measured the speed with an XL-5 on 2S, but I did run a clod with stock motors on 2S today (MMP esc), and top speed was 11 mph.

I did a lot of tests today, and will be updating the post for running brushed motors with a brushless esc.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 am

ironman77 wrote:A good motor combo that works well is the tamiya gt tuned 25t motors. They are not the fastest motor, they are slower than a rs540 but they have a ton of torque. Double than a rs 540.they also run cool and last a long time on bat charge. There is no problem running in reverse.
I bought a couple of these motors based on the above. Doh. Fixed timing. Instructions clearly state not to run in reverse. Oh well, these can go into the TXT-2!

frogs84ss
Approved Member

Post by frogs84ss » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:07 pm

so I'm running the stock silver cans with the evx2 and 3s battery. love it perfect balance between speed and power and durability.
love this thread love my clod.

frogs84ss
Approved Member

Post by frogs84ss » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 am

also started running hpi 15t thunderbolts on 3s I really like this combo. and because of the internal fan and the high rpm they make like a turbo whining sound that sounds pretty darn cool in imo

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:52 am

The Harness would give you less amps ..as in electrical systems when you use 2 battery's in parallel you will get slightly less that your weakest battery's current and voltage..correct ???..
I'll answer that YES....TnT

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:37 am

Connecting 2 batteries in parallel will have double the current compared to a single battery of same type.

Voltage remains the same.

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Have you tried running a com lube for your speed runs? I have used Slick7 Voodoo in drag slot cars and it makes a difference.. for instance a car running a scale 1/4 mile (68ft w/ shut down) in the 1.500 second range (90% of my cars) were down in the 1.300-1.400 second range using the stuff..

I use this stuff on my RC motors after breaking them in - in water to "wash" the water out of the commutator.. and to prevent corrosion

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slick-7-Voodo-R ... 25838cd9d6
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

NorCarLow
Approved Member

Post by NorCarLow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 am

Andy how did the Traxxas VXL's workout for you? I'm thinking about going that way.
I have an older EVX2 w/o LVD with the titan motors from a revo think it is???
Anyway it has the reverse rotation motor. For right now I am running Trinity matched madness motors thru an XL5 on a 2s lipo. Me likey the speed so hesitant to go with the titans just yet.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:09 am

I bet that XL-5 runs a bit warm since you are running it at almost twice it's motor limit.
Good thing it's one tough little esc. (yes, I have run one with those motors too).

Both VXL's and titans will work and give good speed. The titans need higher gearing, and so do the VXL's. However, you can get good speed out of the VXL's with stock gearing.................. if you go with 3S.
.....as long as you have a radio that can tone-down the brakes.... otherwise, you'll snap lots of stuff when hitting the brakes.

Just remember, the more power and speed you add...... the more parts you will break. :explosion:

ramflames
Approved Member

Post by ramflames » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Can a Traxxas VXL3 ESC be used with the stock silver can motors? I'm currently using a Traxxas Xl-5 with 2s lipo. If so, How do you wire up two motors when the ESC has three motor leads for a single brushless motor. What can I expect for performance and durability? :?:

taz11
Approved Member

Post by taz11 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm

andymac0035 wrote:They make a reverse-rotation titan monster 550 for use in the e-revo. This seems odd, as these monster 550's are supposed to have nuetral timing, but I have found in my personal expreience, that the reverse motor DOES run better on the rear axle than the normal rotation motor.
I can shed some light on this part. I found out some interesting stuff about motors back when I was modding Power wheels. The power Wheels motors also have zero timing but the one spinning backwards almost always burned up first.

In reality zero timed motors are not truly set at zero. When a motor runs the magnetic field inside deflects with the rotation of the motor. The timing of the motor is adjusted so that it is timed at zero at its peak efficiency. However, when it runs in reverse the magnetic field deflects in the opposite direction throwing the timing out X2 (deflection plus the original correction).

If you want more info you can google "armature reaction" or "commutation correction" and you'll find some more detail on it.
No space for shelf queens.....use it or loose it!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 pm

ramflames wrote:Can a Traxxas VXL3 ESC be used with the stock silver can motors? I'm currently using a Traxxas Xl-5 with 2s lipo. If so, How do you wire up two motors when the ESC has three motor leads for a single brushless motor. What can I expect for performance and durability? :?:
-yes (there are members here that run this very set-up)
-you will need to make Y-harnesses for the +/- leads (I'm assuming you've already done this with the XL-5?)
-you don't use the middle wire (cap it off)
-reverse the wires on the rear motor (like what you are probably doing with the XL-5)
-this is only worth it if you run a 3S lipo, otherwise, stick with your XL-5.