Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Which ESC or ESC combo package for my Clod

Talk about electric motors, esc's, and batteries here.
Guarddog32
First real R/C car: My first truck is the wheelie king, recently I purchased a Super Clod Buster and am currently buildiing it.

Which ESC or ESC combo package for my Clod

Post by Guarddog32 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 am

Hi all you awesome fellow/fellette Clodsters out there, hope you are having a blast runnin your clods. I am just breaking into the world of the Clod which I have been drooling over for years and finally broke down and am currently building it. I would like to use a 12-15 turn ESC dual motor capability in it and even better would be the combo package of ESC and Motors together. Looking for some suggestions from you all. Let me say this, I am not going to run brushless, just want a reasonably priced 12-15 turn esc setup for my baby. Thanks in advance for your help on this.

:) :) :)

Guarddog32
First real R/C car: My first truck is the wheelie king, recently I purchased a Super Clod Buster and am currently buildiing it.

Re: Which ESC or ESC combo package for my Clod

Post by Guarddog32 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 am

Im posting this as an update to my original post as I found this esc on the internet and sells for 29 dollars on Ebay. Can I get some feedback from y'all on this ESC?

the model is: Hobbywing Quicrun WP 860 Dual Brushed Waterproof Motor ESC for RC 1/10 Boat Car

:) :P 8)

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Welcome!

I've not used that esc, but many here have and like it.

To better help you though, first we need an idea of your skill level:

-Have you been in the hobby long?
-Can you solder and/or do simple wiring?
-Are you already using lithium polymer (LIPO) battieries?

Clods can be tricky for those not used to tinkering. It's very easy for me to say "oh just buy this or that" and "do this or that and you'll love it"...
... but that's not much help if it's something beyond your ability/understanding.

Guarddog32

Post by Guarddog32 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Good morning Andy and thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. To answer your questions, I was an auto mechanic by trade for 2 years with one year of Tech School for auto repair. I have built regular plastic models all my life, im 51. I have dabbled a bit in the hobby of RC cars/trucks, but am now taking it up seriously. If there was any tinkering to be done, I could do that pretty well, and my best bud is an electronics tech so he could do any soldering for me. And no, I have not ventured into Lipo batteries yet, I run the 6 cell venom nimh 5000mah batteries currently. My best bud is also going to get in the hobby because of me and we will do some serious mod stuff if things become available for whatever trucks were running. And to let you know what im looking for in an esc 12-15 turn capable is to make my Clod perform faster than stock, but NOT going to go to racing level on it, wont do that for any truck I get, just want better than stock but not to fast, I like to bash and stuff and don't feel like running into stuff going 60 mph, if ya know what I mean LOL :lol:

Thanks again for your help buddy and I look forward to your response.

Rich

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 am

Well the first thing I would suggest is learning about and "venturing" into lipo batteries. :)

If you insist on going with the nimh batteries you have, then I would suggest getting an EVX-2 and using a pair of your current batteries with the stock motors.

In my opinion, low turn motors are not the way to go unless you are racing. They don't last long on the higher voltages that make them really scoot.

The stock 27t motors respond well to higher voltages, and in a clod, with it's low-gearing they will last too. I run a castle creations sidewinder-3 (SV3) in my clodbuster (the stock-ish looking one). This is a programmable brushless esc that has the capability to run brushed motors as well (once you program it). I have a pair of Y-harnesses soldered up and plugged into it. My motors are wired in parellel and direct soldered from there using heavy gauge wire.

There is nothing magical about the esc I am using... it was handy.... if I had something else... I would have used that too.

The main thing for me is.... using the stock motors... with a 3-cell lipo battery... and using high current connections... or direct solder connections.

A 3 cell lipo battery will say 11.1v, however, that is a discharged rating. A fully charged lipo cell is 4.2v, so I'm starting out with 12.6v.
FYI, the operating safe range of a lipo cell is 3.0v-4.2v, however, most of us run more like a 3.4v-4.2v window. Most programmable esc's I set it around 3.2v-3.4v for a power cut-off, and most non-programmable esc's cut off somewhere around 3.5v per cell.... so once voltages drops that low under load, the car will sputter or just plain stop, preventing you from over-discharging that battery. Most esc's these days have a lipo-safe cut off, but don't assume, always check.

I hope this helps you, and also... this is just my take on it... there are many ways to go about it.... and many opinions, this is just what I have settled on after much trial and error.

matt1ptkn
First real R/C car: Tamiya Clodbuster, new for Xmas in '88.

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

I had essentially asked this same question here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30861&hilit=best+bang#p295955 and got some great feedback. The Hobbywing will be a fine ESC to use. As mentioned by AndyMac, stock motors with lipo make a great combination. I am running 27 turn brushed motors on 3S lipo and my clod is just the right speed.
Good luck on your project and don't forget to show us some photos along the way. ;)
-Matt