Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Best Bang for Buck Clod ESC

Talk about electric motors, esc's, and batteries here.
lanky
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Mud Blaster

Re: Best Bang for Buck Clod ESC

Post by lanky » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:59 pm

I recently resurrected a few of my older clods.... Currently working on more of a "racer" type clod out of spares.... I took an all original "vintage" clod I had in the closet for the past 24 years, modded the cases went to 19T pinions, threw in an EVX2 and titan 550's. On 3s it is "fast for an old clod" on 4s its a bit faster.... For some reliable fun I say the EVX2 is great.

matt1ptkn
First real R/C car: Tamiya Clodbuster, new for Xmas in '88.

Post by matt1ptkn » Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm

So a small update... at the swap meet that I posted about, I found a Novak Super Rooster and one of the cheap Asian dual motor ESCs. Since then, I also purchased a new 3s lipo and a JConcepts 93 F250 body. My plan is to use the Asian ESC first, because the Novak is in great shape and looks so nice in its original box ( :roll: ) and use the 3s. I need to decide on an old school paint scheme because my skills are limited, and mount the body. I'm also now thinking of some performance changes, but am having a hard time deciding what to do. Money is my biggest hurdle at the moment, with time being a close second. Every time I visit clodtalk, I get so inspired to work on my clod. Then I get home and realize how many other projects I have in the queue. #-o
-Matt

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I now have the Asian ESC wired up and functioning on 3s. All seems good so far. It would sometimes have a lag when I would punch full throttle from a stop, but the addition of a capacitor on the receiver seems to have resolved that. I made an aluminum bracket to mount the 3s in the bottom of the clodzilla II chassis which seems like it will work really well. I'm very happy with the JConcepts body. I love the look of it. I was going for a fade scheme and painted fluorescent blue 1st. Once I sprayed the other blue over it, the fluorescent disappeared. Apparently I should have backed the fluorescent with silver. :oops: I still like the color. I have also just begun realizing the potential of the steering mix on my radio. Now that I understand its function, I think it will become one of the biggest handling upgrades I have made. I will be testing this ESC out soon, and if it doesn't live up to my expectations, the super rooster will be going in.
Attachments
Clod F-250.jpg
Clod F-250.jpg (208.82 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Clod F-250 Rear.jpg
Clod F-250 Rear.jpg (213.77 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Clod F-250 Body Off.jpg
Clod F-250 Body Off.jpg (213.44 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Clod F-250 Battery Tray.jpg
Clod F-250 Battery Tray.jpg (189.96 KiB) Viewed 52 times
-Matt

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:37 pm

So as of right now, I will recommend the cheap Asian ESC. On 3s, this clod really scoots! It almost does wheelies upon takeoff. The only limiting factor are the 30 year old tires ability to grab sufficient traction. Did some hard running yesterday for 10 minutes and motors and ESC were only warm. Plus, with using the steering mix and adjusting the 4-link and steering linkages, its very controllable. I enjoyed driving my clod more than my 3906 brushless Emaxx!

Thanks for all the input, answers and help. This place is a wealth of knowledge. =D>
-Matt