6WD/6WS Clod Buster - Tiamat

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
weeb_beano

Re: 6WD/6WS Clod Buster - Tiamat

Post by weeb_beano » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks Dave and Andy!
After dusting it off and completely disassembling it from storage, I set out to refactor, simplify, and correct anything that I didn't like about the truck.
I have been pretty busy and don't plan on doing a whole lot this season- but I have an infant daughter to take care of right now, so she gets full priority of course.

Anyhow here are some recent pictures:

The chassis has been widened about an inch. The three stick packs in a loop are for the motors. The other stick pack is accessory power - radio, servos, lights, and other doodads as they come available.

I made the entire body into it's own subassembly, with a tilting pivot at the front.
This allowed me to properly segregate the running hardware/electronics from any scale flourishes I plan on doing up top.
Two brushed fans provide cooling across the tops of the brushless ESCs. For now I am still using those old Jetis. Eventually I will upgrade to LiPo capable units. Also I plan on sealing the entire body assembly so that it is water and dustproof.

The MOA assemblies have been greatly simplified. Servo mounts don't protrude out the front like they used to. This was once the 'glass jaw' of the truck. Axle assemblies are now aluminum. They were the 1st generation RC4WD units. I was not happy when them when they first arrived, as they had some design issues- but luckily with some endmilling work those have been resolved. If I did not have such tooling I would have been SoL.

Link angles look kind of funny because I have not adjusted the suspension links to fit the new geometry of these axle casings. I'll get to that eventually.

I am still using quarter scale servos, but directly wired into the accessory stick pack for power. They get PWM inputs just like all the other radio gear, but they are drawing juice from 7.2V across the mains. It's about enough power to move the tires lock to lock, standing still on pavement.

Another view of the front MOA.

More refactoring and simplifying - I slapped together some quickie machined coilover damper mountings for the truck.
It's crude and brutalist but I think it sticks with the rest of the design language of the truck so far.

Here's a pic sitting on the workbench. So far I only shot a single quickie video of substandard quality- but the truck runs again!
It awaits some bashing, hopefully this summer I'll carve out some time.

I'm just happy to get the truck running, more or less at full force again.
Can't wait to go LiPo though!

Thanks for reading!

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm drooling here! WOW
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Im loving this build. :D Great craftsmanship. :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 am

Thats one very nice build you have there, The work is just fantastic!

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks a lot guys! I managed to get some time free from bottle/diaper change duties to do a little work on the truck. Nothing major- but I completely disassembled the yellow Aeromax body, and submerged it in plain old synthetic DOT3 brake fluid to remove the existing paint job. No pictures yet since it really isn't anything to show for.

The wiring for lights and accessories will be completely redone, and I plan on cutting up some styrene sheets to build a sealed partition for the cab area. I hope to build some scale features into the cockpit, and have a nice dust/water sealed compartment just for electronics.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:01 am

That is one heck of a rig! It is so cool that you have had it this long and continue to update it. Beautiful truck!
Jeff

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 am

What an epic truck! Your updates look brilliant and truly make this rig look tough. Hey man, it doesn't matter how long it takes to finesse everything. I would rather take longer to get the job done right just as you are doing. Great job.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks! I wish I could work faster, but it is what it is.
All these responsibilities interfere with my slacking :)

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 pm

I started working on Tiamat again... here are some relatively recent pictures of what's going on:

Paint was mostly stripped from the body. It's still persistent in some areas, more brake fluid and a little elbow grease will be required. The shock geometry looks weird because I slightly changed the upper link mounts and now the links need to be shortened.

The truck looks hilarious in transport tires. It's a must for now because I am accessing odd angles within the chassis and interior space. As LAV25@Scale4x4rc says- it's like an elephant in stiletto heels.

HMMMM.. I WONDER WHAT THOSE GIANT BUNCHES OF MULTICONDUCTOR LOW VOLTAGE CABLES ARE DOING...

I finally made the rear bumper assembly for the truck. Nothing fancy at all- and insanely over-engineered.

HMM. SO THAT is what all those cables are going to... MUAHAHAHA!

What you are seeing is what will display on an Android tablet mounted on my radio. It's basically a home-rolled telemetry package which will also save all recorded data (on an SD car in the truck) and let me do some good data analysis afterwards of how the truck was running, interleaved with video.

The data on the speedo/RPM bars are bogus, but the one control which is reporting battery condition is actually sampling unfiltered data from hardware directly. It's a little bit off but for uncalibrated data it's pretty close. So it may not look terribly impressive- especially the interface being a bit kludgey... but I am looking for accuracy right now instead of prettiness. Once I know the data is clean I'll start mocking up some better looking dashboard 'skins'.

Data is currently being sampled and saved at a rate of 200 hertz (200 samples per second). There's plenty of bandwidth over a plain old WiFi connection to stream this and a couple of channels of video (at reduced resolutions) to the tablet. Again this may not look very impressive right now, but I think I have a pretty good start.

Thanks for reading!

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:14 pm

This is looking great. i know i well be watching this as it goes. Great work and i really like the back bumper . :) =D> =D> =D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 pm

I really like this build! :thumbsup:
Have there been any ill-effects having the shocks angled in like that?

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks guys! The shocks angling inwards have no real side effects other than looking a bit weird closeup. Now that i know the telemetry setup works, i have to fabricate a pair of printed circuit boards and route everything properly as the next step

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:36 am

this truck is just astounding, cost has to be just insane.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 am

Gunder463 wrote:this truck is just astounding, cost has to be just insane.
Thanks! At this point the cost isn't actually so bad now as I invested more into tools than the truck itself.
A lot of the aluminum parts (the ugly ones) I made myself so additional costs were really just raw materials and time.

Probably the single most expensive components were the brushless motors and ESCs.
Back in the day, those were pretty pricey. The stuff I am working with now in modding the truck is surprisingly cheap.
Raspberry Pi/Arduino embedded computers, shrink wrap, wires, prototyping boards, and passive connectors are so much less costly than anything else on the truck actually...

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:31 pm

weeb_beano wrote:
Gunder463 wrote:this truck is just astounding, cost has to be just insane.
Thanks! At this point the cost isn't actually so bad now as I invested more into tools than the truck itself.
A lot of the aluminum parts (the ugly ones) I made myself so additional costs were really just raw materials and time.

Probably the single most expensive components were the brushless motors and ESCs.
Back in the day, those were pretty pricey. The stuff I am working with now in modding the truck is surprisingly cheap.
Raspberry Pi/Arduino embedded computers, shrink wrap, wires, prototyping boards, and passive connectors are so much less costly than anything else on the truck actually...
Well thats good, and (personally) i think your parts a good looking, im a fan of making my own stuff and you do an outstanding job with metal work. I wish i could see it in person!