6WD/6WS Clod Buster - Tiamat

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
flofox
Approved Member

Re: 6WD/6WS Clod Buster - Tiamat

Post by flofox » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:08 pm

very nice work Weeb
love the rear bumper assembly :thumbsup:
and offcourse the rest also

why didnt you just paint over the yellow paint?
and that paint job better gonna be good! :x :x
although that yellow was a bit plain,
it looked very nice on Tiamat and was part of the reason i felt in love with it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(and started to build my own 6x6)

CrewCabClod

Post by CrewCabClod » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 am

That has to be the best 6X6 I've ever seen! very well done :thumbsup:

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks guys! BTW I finally took my head out of the sand, looking around more on the board - there are some other really awesome 6x6 projects out there! I really need to pay more attention!

- Charliechristmas's off road fire truck viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25138
- CLODZ_72_2003's Big Bertha viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39
- Grahame's PeeWee viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11484

Thanks Gunder! I still have a long way to go to improve my metalworking. I know my stuff looks a bit simple and crude compared to something 'factory'. Right now my limitation is time- I have to make things as quickly as possible, unfortunately. But that's okay for now. Eventually :)

But as to why I wanted to strip the paint- it's because the original yellow coating wasn't applied evenly at times so there's places in the paint where it was clumpy or wavy. I wanted to have a clean start and do a better job this time. I wanted to try a subtle pattern inspired by the Royal Netherlands Air Force F-16 demo team:

Die Nederlandse straaljagers zien er geweldig uit!

flofox
Approved Member

Post by flofox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 pm

wtf?! are you dutch? (like me) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :)
or did you use google translate orso? =D> =D>

anyway, those fighter jets have indeed a very cool paint job
never saw that before
Its the first time they used our national colour ,orange, in a cool way(Its difficult colour to make look cool/though)
I dont think theyre combat colours, rather they are used for demo flights (shows) i think

and you know that theyre gonna replace those f16's for joint strike fighter's in the near future?
but that doesnt really matter for the paint job for your truck

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 pm

flofox wrote:wtf?! are you dutch? (like me) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :)
or did you use google translate orso? =D> =D>

anyway, those fighter jets have indeed a very cool paint job
never saw that before
Its the first time they used our national colour ,orange, in a cool way(Its difficult colour to make look cool/though)
I dont think theyre combat colours, rather they are used for demo flights (shows) i think

and you know that theyre gonna replace those f16's for joint strike fighter's in the near future?
but that doesnt really matter for the paint job for your truck
Nederlandse ek praat nie :) Ek is nie Nederlandse, maar my naam is (Tijger) - I only speak a VERY TINY bit of Afrikaans which only slightly helps me know when Google Translate is messing with me. I credit/blame some colleagues from Jo-burg who I tried to do a brain dump from. I don't really have a full understanding of the basic differences between Dutch and Afrikaans so I probably have a super weird perspective on the two languages at a whole. Also some Afrikaner music has made inroads in NYC, which i have on regular rotation (Die Antwoord, Jack Parow, etc).

Well, that's really the only real connection I have to the Dutch :) Someday I wouldn't mind going to the Netherlands- when the baby is old enough for sure.. Anyhow I hope to have access to an airbrush and I plan on using liquid mask to make a proper stencil for the graphics. The design I have in mind on the truck for now is heavily influenced from heraldry patterns. It's been evolving slowly, I have been trying to take my time on doing it right.

flofox
Approved Member

Post by flofox » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

ah, that explains it!
funny how the world spins

btw that sentence in dutch was 100% perfect (Die Nederlandse straaljagers zien er geweldig uit!)
spoken like a natural dutchman

the difference between afrikan and dutch is very big now
300 years ago it started the same maybe but not anymore these days
a dutchman and a afrikaner cannot not talk with each other without translator

I have been in johannesburg actually
when my cousin lived/worked there
nice place!

forget to tell
that the tiger is the national symbol of holland toghether with the colour orange

and i found another 6x6 thread, weeb
the starter of the thread still hasnt finished the built, after ten years! #-o

maybe you should take a look :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=323

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 pm

flofox wrote:and i found another 6x6 thread, weeb
the starter of the thread still hasnt finished the built, after ten years! #-o

maybe you should take a look :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=323
Bahaha you're a funny guy - I had totally forgotten about that thread!

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:07 am

Some minor updates...

I buttoned up the driveline and put the regular tires back on after completing all the wiring I needed for sensors on each axle.

It's a little ugly in there with the white tie wraps and some exposed elements. However I think it's for the best temporarily as I work out any kinks- which may require quick access. There is a magnetic reed switch on each wheel, along with a temperature sensor for each motor.

Once everything really checks out I'll bomb exposed connectors with shrink wrap and nice blacked out cable ties.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 pm

I had forgotten to post this image in this thread...

I guess it is becoming clearer as to what I am doing. What you are seeing is what will display on an Android tablet mounted on my radio. It's basically a home-rolled telemetry package which will also save all recorded data and let me do some good data analysis afterwards of how the truck was running, interleaved with video.

The data on the speedo/RPM bars are bogus, but the one control which is reporting battery condition is actually sampling unfiltered data from hardware directly. It's a little bit off but for uncalibrated data it's pretty close. So it may not look terribly impressive- especially the interface being a bit kludgey... but I am looking for accuracy right now instead of prettiness. Once I know the data is clean I'll start mocking up some better looking dashboard 'skins'.

Data is currently being sampled and saved at a rate of 200 hertz (200 samples per second). There's plenty of bandwidth over a plain old WiFi connection to stream this and a couple of channels of video (at reduced resolutions) to the tablet. Again this may not look very impressive right now, but I think I have a pretty good start.

I haven't done much work with the electronics since verifying each sensor as working- recently I have been sectioning out a weatherproof sealed part of the cab and painting up the body. Hopefully I'll have some more pics soon...

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Hey.... look what I found!...... :mrgreen:

[youtube]VO3p4V6e9lA[/youtube]

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Hey.... look what I found!...... :mrgreen:

[youtube]VO3p4V6e9lA[/youtube]
Hah... that was a very quick and dirty film i made after getting the truck back together.
Hopefully I'll be able to take more video soon...

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Howdys all, it is good to be back.
I have started working on my trucks again, now that the little one is older and i have (slightly) more free time to do things.

Picking up where I left off, I decided to give pneumatic tires a shot.I've been burned by RC4WD's lack of quality control in the past but figured there was no way they could screw up rims. Other than some cosmetic issues, they are pretty good rims.

I used the RC4WD Clod beadlocks (Delrin edition) as a base, and installed a needle valve into the rim.

Here is a closeup of the rim with the valve installed:

And here is the tire inflated up (beyond what I would expect to be using) next to a stock Clod wheel.

I measured the circumference of the tire after inflation, and then let it sit around overnight under some load. The next morning, it was the exact same size which was good. This meant no or very minimal leakage.

Here is the tire mounted on the truck. Now I need to make this modification to the remaining five wheels...

Thanks for reading!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:46 am

That is a great idea and does not stick out. Welcome back too!
Jeff

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks! I managed to get a few more wheels modded last night and I really like what I see so far. I plan on trying the tires inflated just a bit so that there is a slight crown- it should make the truck even more nimble than it is.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I managed to finish modifying all of the rims, and took the truck on a very brief test drive indoors... the handling difference is rather impressive. With the tires inflated, there is a slight crown on them which decreases the contact patch and allows the servos to very easily turn them lock to lock. Rolling resistance is waaaaay down and the truck feels more nimble. This has more to do with it being on the heavy side than having any problems with the original Clod tire design.

A comparison of the inflated tires versus stock Jugg and Clod tire profiles can be seen below.

We will see how the truck performs outdoors when i find some time, perhaps this weekend or one night after getting home from work.