"Big Bertha" Project Update! 4-24-04. She Has Leg

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Jim511
Approved Member

Post by Jim511 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:48 am

It looks awesome! But I have a feeling she is going to be way too top heavy.

Shelby VNT
Approved Member

Post by Shelby VNT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:52 am

I like your truck and your idea. Always did from the 1st day I saw it, but I do think your ride height is way to high! It makes the truck look rediculous and I'm sure it won't help your handling. In my opinion, if it was my project I would try, at the very least, to mount the upper shock stand offs at the top of the chassis, rather then down low like you have them. I bet you lower the truck's ride height about 3 more inches just by mounting the shocks below that 90 degree bend on the chassis side plates. Then I can see you possibily running into some problems with the leading tandem axle in the reat interfering with the metal link mounts of the 2nd axle. To fix that problem you could eliminate the formed metal link mounts all together and probably mount instead, directly to the chassis side plates (the C channel).

If you really wanted to go crazy and get lower yet, you could cut a small chunk out of the frame's upper 90 degree bend (enough to clear the shocks only) just above each axle location, fab up a new shock stand off out of flat metal stock, bolt that to the chassis side plates, and mount your shocks to them. The advantage there is that your upper shock mounts could now be higher then the chassis side plates themselves. It would work for the front axle, but to make it work in the rear, you would have to raise the tank up to clear the stand offs.
-Nathan-

Sufferin' Succotash

Loaded_Heavy
Approved Member

Post by Loaded_Heavy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:19 am

Yeah I see your going to make an oval tanker 6X6 and I also gotto ask you why is it so high..lol.I wait to see someone step up to the plate and make a 6X6 with IMEX Jumbo Kongs on it.That would be the day but then again you would need the power that it's in Weebs truck and you would also need the money that the guy has too.The North American beaver has a big tail I was suppose to buy one of these 6X6 chassy's too but then I got stared down becuase rather then everything going double like on the regular Clod you now gotta go Three on everything.It's a power hungry and money eatting beast is what it is really...lol.

Dustin

CLODZ_72_2003

Post by CLODZ_72_2003 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:34 pm

I hear what you guys are saying and yess I believe as well it is a bit high.

I am going to take tha into consideration and lower the shocks a bit by raising the shock mounts about an inch or so. I'll keep you guys posted

Alfy
You crawl with 4, But I drive with 18 :wink:

CLODZ_72_2003

Post by CLODZ_72_2003 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:44 pm

Well after careful cosideration went ahead aand lowered the shocks about 1/2 inch and I also adjusted the links a bit which gave the truck and overall 1 inch lower on height

the body looks high with the body of Bullhead on top, but keep in mind the chassis hasn't been cut yet to fit the bullhead, therefore it looks makes the chassis look bit high as well

Lowered

Front View

Heres A Pic of the chassis with on side lowered . About a 1/2 inch in comparison

I'll keep you guys posted on any other modifications

Alfy
You crawl with 4, But I drive with 18 :wink:

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Re: "Big Bertha" Project Update! 4-24-04. She Has Leg

Post by Diamond Dave » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 am

No pics showing

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 am

Ya, only a few years later, hehehe!!! Well maybe some of the old members will get the email that a new response has been made. More pics!!!!!!

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 am

What happned to this build ?????
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 am

No idea, but I sent out many PM's to members from days past asking them to log back in. This was quite awhile ago CC.

Send the OP a PM and see if you get an answer, bump the topic every once in awhile. Looks to be a great build.