The Power Pig - Formerly Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
weeb_beano

Re: The Power Pig - Formerly Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:33 pm

The body is mounted but it isn't painted yet. No pics yet because my workbench is sort of occupied at the moment. Anyhow I did start working on one other minor thing- the character design sticker for the truck. This logo will go on the doors of the Bullhead cab.

I kind of whipped this up rather quickly, it's sort of ho-hum in certain ways but the raw, unrefined look suits the truck's design. Also, this is the first six-legged pig that I drew which carries the demeanor and generally terrible attitude which I was looking for. This might be the design I end up using for some vinyl sticker prints. If I'm still happy with the design in a few days I'll whip up some bogus sponsor logos and add them to the pile.

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

I love how you are designing custom decals for this, developing it's own unique character

This is all going to come together verryy nicely, great work!

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 pm

I finally pulled the trigger on all of this after letting it sit for too long...

The first sample decal sheet arrived not too long ago-

I then decided to keep my paint job really simple and just start putting stickers right on!

So the bad news first:

1) The stickers bubble up REALLY easily. I'll chalk that up to my decision not to wet sand the lacquer though- and that the bottle I had seemed to be a bit chunky (possibly because of age). I also probably did not thin it enough.

2) The colors are lacking in their intensity. I think that I will test in the future just printing black to film, and coloring things in by hand using backing paint with flex agents. The photos probably don't show it very well but the sticker design looks really washed out. If the body had a white color it would not have mattered- when I received the sheet it still looked a bit desaturated to me.

3) The level of crispyness and line detail is only so-so. But this is to be expected. I can't imagine that a 150 or 300 effective DPI print process is going to have as crisp a line set as the screened method as factory decals would use.

All said and done though, I am pretty happy with how these are coming out. They are unique, and they are mine. So despite their drawbacks its still okay.

I am still debating whether I should DOT3 that chrome off everything and go with a matte black... or if I should go over the top and paint everything... HIDEOUS GOLD!

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Utter genius I love how you have used a six legged pig and the Chernobyl mutation theme. Not to sure on the gold though maybe stick with the chrome effect!
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 am

I love the look of the decals and the idea is pretty cool. Not sure if I would have ever come up with that. :mrgreen:

I like the chrome with the orange but the black might look better with the red accents of the shocks and bumpers. Regardless which way you go, it is a terrific looking rig.
Jeff

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks so much guys! I haven't decided on what I will do with the chrome yet, and there isn't any strong preference so I am just going to run it like this for now.

Here's how the body looks like so far.. Originally I thought the colors looked way too washed out, but after a few days and under some more natural lighting I think it isn't as bad as I had feared. You can be the judges of that too with the picture below. I have other stickers and am just trying to decided exactly where to put them. I'm just sort of winging this right now...

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Hello all, it's been a while but I've finally started working on this truck again.
Nothing big will happen visually, but I'm finally going to finish that telemetric and avionics system which I'd love to put in all of my 6x6 trucks.

I realized it made a lot of sense to put the electronics right under the hood, because the vast volume of the Bullhead longnose makes it a perfect location. I originally wanted to put it further rearwards but there just isn't any good space for it. Oh well. I found a good mechanism box in my pile of hoarded parts which should do the trick.

This was then mounted on the truck.

Each wheel also received a glass reed switch, which was encased in silicone. I opted for the reed switch instead of using a rotary encoder- but in hindsight I probably should have used the encoder instead. Without the high resolution reads from the encoder, I can't do fancy stuff like traction control. Oh well. I'll just press on forwards for now.

N50 neodymium magnets were installed into the Clod wheel hubs as well. This is what triggers the reed switches. Each wheel will have its individual speed measured.

These are thermistors for measuring temperature. Three are for the motors, one is for the battery tray, one is for the ESCs, and the last one is for the ambient temperature.

A closeup of the compute box. That small board is a DC buck converter turning the accessory stick pack voltage from 7.2V to 5.0V.

Raspberry Pi mainboard installed.

...and lastly the two Arduino Micros which will be serving data input and output duties. They are mounted on a piece of styrene sitting on top of the Raspberry Pi.

Almost done terminating all of the input sensor cables. These will in turn connect to a common ground crossbar board (not pictured yet), while the thermistors also connect to DC crossbars, and their data leads go to analog input pins. The reed switches go to common ground and digital input pins, respectively.

Well that's all I have for now. Pretty soon this will turn into a software engineering project, and luckily that is where I have more of the work actually done already. Thanks for reading!