The Power Pig - Formerly Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:20 pm

I already have the MC330Rs kicking around so i'm just using existing equipment... the Radio Shack box would be fine for the electronics but a Tupperware container would be better for the batteries since it needs to be opened and closed all the time...

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:01 am

Well, the chassis is at the point where i can mount the gearboxes on it.
It looks funny with all the holes i had drilled in it in the past, but overall it's not too shabby. Keeping with the spirit, it has all of my 1988 spec parts. No machined bits. Lots of crooked holes. It's not the fanciest 6WD that i have but it's mine and i'm still proud of it :)

Cubman

Post by Cubman » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:31 am

heres some containers to consider for your battery protection
http://www.otterbox.com/category.cfm?Category=33

austinsclod

Post by austinsclod » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:15 am

:twisted: me like me link

One Q: did you make that chassis years ago or did you buy it

Cubman

Post by Cubman » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:41 pm

He made it, way beyond my talent. I was wondering, are you going to put pvc pontoons along the sides of the chassis, it might help to make it float higher out of the water?

monster_puller

Post by monster_puller » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:19 pm

oh heck, if you think thats kool, just look at his more recent ones. All this one is is a bent peice of aluminum with supports, lol. Weeb's new ones RULE. They are like a sassy chassis, only they look 20 times better! But I must agree, there isnt anything better than a stock clod covered in mud.........same goes for a 6x6!!

http://www.freewebs.com/offroad_rc

weeb_beano

Re: Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Oh wow... hahaha I forgot about this thread :)
Thanks for flofox for pointing it out to me!

I have actually been doing a bit of work on the side with this project.
It has a name now - "The Power Pig".
I also finally have a body in mind for it- perhaps not very original but I saw a great deal on a NIB Bullhead body parts set that I couldn't refuse.
It will get a super gaudy paint job though, in line with what I would have liked when I was still 13- keeping in the original spirit of the truck.

There's been a pretty major change in direction in that I decided to go brushless with this rig. I picked up a bunch of SkyRC Leopard 2 10T motors, and Toro 60A ESCs on eBay. Again, an offer I couldn't refuse as the cost of all four units equalled just ONE Hacker C50MAXX and Jeti ESC that I used for Tiamat!

These photos are already a bit out of date- as I have already wired the truck up fully, but I'll take more when I get home tonight.

The sealed mechanism box is something I had left over from years ago. It is IP65 rated and fits all the ESCs. The only thing I need to do with it is mill a cutout on top for the placement of a muffin fan and a sponge air filter.

Another view of the truck

A view showing more carnage of past badly drilled holes and cuts... but I have an emotional attachment to this truck, I consider it equal to its other 6WD peers.

I'll post more photos, but the major changes are that it is already wired up and ready to go, alongside with sheer luck letting me fit three stick packs inside the chassis channel. The truck loses some of its water proofness, but I think running it in a lake even with everything proofed would still leave the motors exposed... and that would be BAD :)

weeb_beano

Re: The Power Pig - Formerly Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 am

Some more pictures...

Brushless driveline wired up and working...

I had to think about where I was going to mount the three stick packs- in the front was no good. I like keeping as much weight as possible on the rear and middle axles. With a bit of servo repositioning- I found some room...

...and the mechanism to keep the batteries in place was ghettotastically simple. A pin secured with a body clip.

This is how it looks embedded in the chassis.

flofox
Approved Member

Post by flofox » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 pm

whehe, i was only joking in the other thread
but this build has come along niceley
(although its been taken ten years!!) :lol: :lol:

that brushless set up has lifted this build onto the level of your other builds!
that bullhead body is gonna be nice on that thing
its fairly easy to mount also, compaired to a big rig body

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:34 am

i like this chassis, looks like a fun rig especially brushless!

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks guys!
Flofox- you're right- mounting this body is a piece of cake compared to the Aeromax. I'm currently designing a logo and then will look into printing some vinyl stickers for this truck. The idea for the logo is actually pretty straightforward - a representation of a 'power pig' hehe. I'll hope to have something mocked up soon, printed to paper first and then just taped to the body for prototyping.

As for bringing the truck up to the same performance level as Tiamat- I would think it is very likely that it's easily 80% of the way there. I haven't been able to drive this truck yet- but i'm okay with being patient. The truck is just not ready as well. As brutally tempting as it is to drive in the snow we just got here, I've had other responsibilities. There's definitely time enough in the future to catch up!

One thing I just thought of doing was to build a swiveling camera boom, and make it a common design that would fit on any of my trucks. A video of what I am talking about can be seen here:

http://youtu.be/LEgXniVg1_Q

flofox
Approved Member

Post by flofox » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 pm

That swiveling camera thing looks nice

You know what the colour has to be right?
Pigs are pink!! :lol:
Although black with pink stripes can be cool

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm

flofox wrote:That swiveling camera thing looks nice

You know what the colour has to be right?
Pigs are pink!! :lol:
Although black with pink stripes can be cool
I am totally considering a two tone paint scheme of pink and brown right now :)

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for posting the swivel camera idea. I wonder if that would work on a boat? :shock: :mrgreen:
Jeff

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 pm

SFC K wrote:Thanks for posting the swivel camera idea. I wonder if that would work on a boat? :shock: :mrgreen:
No problem! I imagine it would work well on a boat if the motion of the swivel was damped somewhat... i am just shooting from the hip on this one. A damped swivel would help keep boat rocking motion in check. Also, in calm conditions further from shore there might not be any reference points in the background, so it would help keep some viewers from getting nauseous.