The Power Pig - Formerly Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
weeb_beano

The Power Pig - Formerly Un-named 6WD Stock Clod project

Post by weeb_beano » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:05 am

It's funny, a combination of seeing CLODZ_72_2003 and zBigBadWolf's kickin 'old school thug style' 6WD mutant Clods under construction has given me the itch to deal with some unfinished business. Inspiration works in funny ways, and funny enough, things have come full circle with this particular project.

Pictured here is an uninteresting looking hunk of metal which was the chassis of my 6WD Clod from years ago... like 1991 when i was a kid.

Another angle view:

Back then the truck didn't really have a name, I think my friends called it 'Big Bastard' but i cannot quite remember what it was named... so i'll stick to the story that it didn't have a name :) Unfortunately i don't think i have any pictures from when it was set up. In either case the truck had lots of problems.

The suspension stunk. I think the total amount of articulation available was significantly worse than a stock Clod. That's pretty horrible! The steering was ineffective despite being 6WS, mainly because of my poor link geometry.

It was wired in series (which gave it no climbing power) and was very crude. With limited knowledge and tools you can see all the extra holes and random butchering in the metal had to endure, and i never ran it with a body because it never reached that level of completion.

It was delicate, flimsy, hard to run, and maintain.

Well i guess there's always a time to fix things :)

Being that i still am feeling the effects of a cold i confined myself indoors and started assembling some Clod gearboxes from parts intended as spares. So now i have three gearboxes ready for it, and here is the mission.

I'm going to use that hunk of metal as a base to finally complete this truck. Sure, it won't be built back to exactly the same spec as it was in 1991 but to use that beat-up hunk of metal as the chassis will mean a lot to me symbolically.

I'm going to try and spend as little money as possible building this truck together. I plan on driving it in ponds, mud, and things that i would never take and of my other 6WD trucks in.

Some specs i have in mind for it is:
-Triple 540 silver can motors
-Triple basic ESCs in parallel - Futaba MC330s
-6WS using Futaba S3003 servos
-Triple 6-cell packs for power source
-Waterproof and Mudproof
-F/M wheelbase: 12"
-M/R wheelbase: 8"

It definitely don't have the kind of punch or performance as any of my newer design spaceframe 6WDs but i'm going to try and make it that mutant terror FUN truck that i had in mind when i was a kid. I guess in some ways that's more important than furious speed and power :)

Well, that's all i have for now... and thanks for reading :)
Last edited by weeb_beano on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CM_113
Approved Member

Post by CM_113 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:09 am

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: man that will be sweet weeb
" I MAKE My OWN trails,following others is for SHEEP"

CLODZ_72_2003

Post by CLODZ_72_2003 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:10 am

Cmon Weeb

Let some other guys get the spotlight first before you start on another 6WD project ](*,) ...Jeez!!!..... :shock:

BTW Looks Like Another Winner Bud, Keep Us posted =D> 8)

Alfy :calvin:
You crawl with 4, But I drive with 18 :wink:

BaddClod
Approved Member

Post by BaddClod » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:34 pm

I'm curious as to,what you're going to use for a body and what else you have in store for your 6WD Thug Monster. :P :twisted:

:twisted: BaddClod :twisted:
"I've upped my standard's"...
"Now Up Your's"...
671 Monster's

zBigBadWolf
Approved Member

Post by zBigBadWolf » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:35 pm

Yea Weeb, what Alfy said! :D

I will admit that is one heck of an "old" project! :shock: Yeowza that thing looks BIG.

Just don't do a military style rig cuz then I'll have to send a swarm of locusts to your house. :lol:
Last edited by zBigBadWolf on Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you do dumb things, dumber things happen.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:15 pm

Thanks guys :) It's not my intention to steal any thunder, i figure the more 6x6 noise, the better :) But then again you guys knew that already :)

For the body i'm not sure... i might use a Bullhead body if i come into contact with a used truck in decent condition. Don't worry, it wont be military style for sure. As much as i like it, no drab olive green anywhere. Also no red, and no flame paint jobs either :)

But then again i might have some surprises in store for the body department... i built a really ghetto vacuum molding machine that is capable of 24"x24" moldings- the heat source is a pair of toasters that i gutted... but i only recently started working on the plug molds for them.

Yup, if i can get that thing working well, i'll be making Lexan bodies for myself and for sale, in generic big rig formfactor. But that is way down the road. I need to find a vacuum pump or cleaner that quite literally... Sucks!

zBigBadWolf
Approved Member

Post by zBigBadWolf » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:39 am

Dang weeb... you built a frikin vacuum molding machine????

What's next, making your own servos and ESCs? :roll:

Come on man, give us dummies a chance! :wink:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:43 pm

sweet

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:11 pm

But i'm a dummy too! :)

zBigBadWolf
Approved Member

Post by zBigBadWolf » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:43 pm

weeb_beano wrote:But i'm a dummy too! :)
Boy if you're a dummy I hate to think where that leaves me!

BTW nice site ya got there weeb... never checked out the link before.

Torquer
Approved Member

Post by Torquer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:29 pm

Weeb, that is my kind of rig…

.........................................................................................
Reporter: What is that?
Weeb: Mutant Clod!

Reporter: How old is it?
Weeb: Old!

Reporter: What did you use to make it?
Weeb: Meat and potatoes!

Reporter: How long did it take to make this Mutant Clod?
Weeb: Thirteen solar cycles!

Reporter: What do you plan to do with it when it’s completed?
Weeb: wOOt..wOOt..wOOt…!!!!
.........................................................................................

Man, I cannot wait to see that rig in action! Sounds like you’re planning some serious bashing sessions! Please do us a favor and post a ton of pics when that day arrives!

I guess that I need to find another set of axles and pull that unfinished frame down from the shelf now…

-Will

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:30 pm

Torquer... that was HILARIOUS :)
You really know me too well :)
Meat... potatoes... the bees! Woot woot!

It is my intention to outdo this guy every time i take that truck bashing :)

I haven't been getting much done on this truck because i am trying to square away some random issues regarding it... such as the waterproofing.

I needed a way to protect the ESCs and batteries from a complete immersion... in other words i should be able to throw the truck into a lake and not have to worry about anything. The motor and ESC combo i am using doesn't generate much heat so it could be completely sealed.
The electronics... easy to seal... but what about the batteries? I need to open and close the container all the time.

Then it occurred to me what the solution for the battery container would be...

Tupperware! HEHEHEHE....

Cubman

Post by Cubman » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:17 pm

Instead of Fubuta MC330R's I would use M-Troniks Eco 20's, water proof, cheap, and handle the stock silver cans!

Cubman

Post by Cubman » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:17 pm

Instead of Fubuta MC330R's I would use M-Troniks Eco 20's, water proof, cheap, and handle the stock silver cans!

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:51 pm

you just need to seal it in a radioshack project box with plumbers good or show goo