Pickle Time - A compact TLT-1 based 6x6 build

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
weeb_beano

Pickle Time - A compact TLT-1 based 6x6 build

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi all, this is a slightly different 6x6 truck that I built a few months ago with my daughter.
It's based on the Tamiya TLT-1 axle set, using the original smaller TLT tires.
We named it 'Pickle Time' and she gets to drive it far more than I do :lol:

The truck features an outrunner brushless motor which allows me to run without a central gearbox.
Parts left over from the TLT driveline helped make that happen.
It also has six wheel steering, six wheel drive, and has a turning radius of just over 15 inches.
Pickle Time is pretty fun to drive, and I was motivated to build it when the Konghead was announced.

It's pretty lightweight at 6 lbs, and is just over 16" long.

Here it is compared to Mammoet, based on the TXT-1/Jugg2 axle set.

I have a short video of it too here:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veb4rdEsxts[/youtube]

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Pickle Time - A compact TLT-1 based 6x6 build

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:52 am

That's pretty cool! I think it would be interesting if Tamiya would let you design a truck for them. :idea:

weeb_beano

Re: Pickle Time - A compact TLT-1 based 6x6 build

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks Andy! It would be pretty neat... but I've come to realize that their design goals are very different from mine.

As compromised as I think the Konghead is, it is a very fine truck aimed at a demographic that I am not considering at all - the twelve year old boy. Pickle Time would not last very long in the hands of one, considering its relatively delicate suspension links compared to the double wishbones of the GF-06. When my daughter drives the truck, she has the radio programmed with the throttle travel dialed way, way down. She's also a LOT more careful than most kids her age, which I give her a tremendous amount of credit for. All of this plus the fact that she had a major part in the construction of the truck makes her extra careful with it. She saw that it was a lot of work spread out over a couple of weeks.

When I do decide to over-engineer things though I tend to get a bit carried away however.

Who knows... I might try to emulate some of the 'factory' style of thinking on my next R/C project though... where "less is more". We'll see what happens :)