Friendly Towing Service 6x6

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
LAV25

Friendly Towing Service 6x6

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:29 am

I put this guy together... almost seven years ago now. Abbreviated build thread that hits the high points, copied over from a forum dedicated to scale stuff:
Originally designed in Sketchup, the tolerances aren't 3d printable or anything, but it helped me make sure everything could look right if I decided to go through with the build:

Gear list:

RC4WD
Black Disruptor transfer case
6 1.9 Rock Crusher XT tires
some angled ball ends

TCS Crawlers
2 Axial locked axle kits (I already had the third)
Traxxas 5mm output yokes (the plastic ones, they're going to need some filing)
Axial Narrow hexes
Axial plastic rear lockouts (more on those later)
Traxxas Stampede Half shafts #1951(then I realized I hadn't bought enough, so

Stormer Racing Hobbies
Traxxas Stampede half shaft pro pack #1953 (the one that comes with 6 full shafts)
and some paint masks

Joe's Truck Stop (via eBay)
a Tamiya 3 speed semi transmission with Joe's custom dual output mod
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

LAV25

Re: Friendly Towing Service 6x6

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:31 am

Starting out with aluminum c-channel for a chassis. Yes, the transmission is upside down, I went through a lot of different choices before the truck was finished:

Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:35 am

First go at getting the front suspension sorted. Those are delrin leafs for the Axial axles, not sure if they're made anymore.

And steering, homemade bent steering links to clear the leafs:

Three speed tranny, mounted V1.1 (which will change later on)

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 am

Transfer case mount, V1.0. Nine inch long front driveshaft frankensteined together. This is not right:

Took a day off to think. That was a good thing, actually.

Dual output 3 speed semi tranny, sitting too far back.

Motor sticking out the front.

Hmmm.

Dual output 3 speed semi tranny, sitting too far back.

Motor sticking out the front.

Flip it around already, genius!:

Much shorter front driveshaft:

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:47 am

Rear leaf walking beam (the leaf doesn't flex much) suspension. I found that Wild Willy 2000 servo savers were perfect to mount the delrin leafs to:

Using Axial three-link "Y"s to keep the rear axles centered:

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:53 am

This is where the CAD stuff really comes in handy. I wasn't sure how I wanted the rear boom/bed area to look. With a properly done Sketchup drawing, you can test different options quickly and easily. I knew my theme was going to be a bodged-together, Tucker & Dale style wrecker, not something shiny and new, but I wasn't sure about the details, so I asked the members of the other forum for suggestions.

Choice A, narrow flatbed:

Choice B, wide flatbed covering the rear tires:

or Choice C, toolboxes on the sides going up to the cab:

One of them suggested choice D, which I ended up going with, short toolboxes on the sides.

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 am

Body time!: The Bullhead had not yet been re-released, so I ended up getting one of the few NIP body sets still available at the time:

I really don't like the Bullhead's headlights, and this is not supposed to be a modern truck, so I hacked them out:

Had to hack the back of the body (not the cab, the very back plate) off to make it sit correctly on the frame rails. I did the same thing when I built Grond.

Then I dremeled the lip off the sunroof and put in a patch, along with some messy putty because I'm terrible at bodywork. That's why I do the homebuilt look :)

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 am

Magnetic body mounts, rare earth magnets and allthread. I've improved on my technique for this since, but this was my first try:

Body mounted!

Bed beginning to be built, and the paint is starting to go on the body. Those are Parma pre-cut "Devil Tail" flame masks in yellow.

Paint and weathering. I don't have an airbrush, nor anyplace to use it, so the paint is all rattlecan (Mr. Color white and Mr. Color cobalt blue), the weathering is a mix of highly diluted Tamiya red-brown (for the filthy look) and Tamiya Weathering master rust, orange rust, and silver for the rust, as well as the spots where the paint has been worn off through usage (driver's side door step).

Banged into a tree or something:

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:12 am

Needs some bumper stickers:

Chassis painted Tamiya Red Brown, and the transmission painted red to look like an engine. Not that it shows when the body is on, but I feel better when the details are all done.

FLEX:

And if there are any Marines in the audience, I swear that the logo stands for Friendly Towing Service, and nothing else. Honest :)

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 am

Officially done!

The bed:

Pioneer kit I made out of styrene (I was on a bit of a kick that year)

Safety is Job One! (bought those from RC4WD)

Gas can I made, along with some Kingsford, in case you want to have a BBQ (never did install the hibachi I made though):

And finally the sling. The winch is functional and controlled by my 9ch, but the sling doesn't actually reach down to a level where it would be useful. Oh well, looks good anyway (those are old bicycle innertube sections):

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 am

And finally a short video:

Started the build in July of 2010, finished in March of 2011, and I don't even want to think about how much I spent on it, but it's really, in all its grotty glory, one of the best and most complex things I've ever done. Thanks for looking, and if you have any questions about how it went together, shoot and I'll try and answer.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:03 am

That is sweet! Thanks for posting that!
I'm looking at everything and thinking about how much time went into that... :shock:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:45 am

=D> Great build! I like it, mainly because I don't have that much patience!

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Wow, that really turned out great! Thanks for sharing!
-Matt

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it. I just realized while I was posting the pics that the final set don't include the front bumper. I'll have to try and get some new ones, but to tell the truth, it's just been sitting for a few years. Might be time to get her back on the dirt, if I can find any.