8x8?? Go big or go home....

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
abailey21
Approved Member

8x8?? Go big or go home....

Post by abailey21 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:53 am

So I've wanted to do a clod project for a long time, with parts a plenty on the market why not do what nobody else is? I'm still deployed and have to get home to sell off a bunch of vintage RC10 stuff I'm not and will never use, plus some modern racers, vintage blackfoot, CC-01 Jeep and what not to justify the funding of this massive project. Through Jim posting the seller info on another thread I found the dude in NY re-popping bennet style and Sassy clone aluminum chassis's, I know you've all seen his stuff, But I'm more interested in the 8x8...
Image Image

I want to use this chassis as the base (unless ya'll have some other wacky idea????) and the quad shock 13mm lift setup he also sells
Image Image

I also wanna go full out on the gearboxes, can anyone tell me if the integy and or hot racing aluminum gearboxes have all the same mounting holes as the stockers? I'd like to do a 4link kit on them as opposed to the stock setup, probably CPE 4 links on all 4 gear boxes. 90mm or so scale shocks similar to these..

I know the HR and Integy aluminum isn't the strongest stuff on the market, if and when it runs it'll be very lightly ran so I'm not worried about strength

I'd also probably have all the aluminum anodized for this as well

I need thoughts, practicality, possible issues I might run into???? Thoughts from you???

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Re: 8x8?? Go big or go home....

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:56 pm

This will be a monster! Essentially you will be building two clods, so yeah the price is going to be up there even if you don't make things too fancy.

I have one of sicnme's remake sassy chassis and it's great for what I wanted. If you are wanting to 4 link it all (good idea) be sure to use proper mounts for structural strength. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3505856899 ... ps&lpid=82

To keep costs down initially, I would just run the stock gearboxes. In my experience, high speed and big jumps caused the internal gears to strip, never from heavy loaded, slow speed casual driving. Also, external damage to the C's or knuckles was always due to landing bad from a big jump...with the reinforcements above installed, I would think these issues would not exist on a truck staying grounded. I may be wrong though with all the added weight you will be running - again I would wait until a problem occurs then go from there because you will have a lot of money tied up just getting this thing rolling.

RC4wd offers a variety of 540 can motors for $10 each, I would bet a 35 turn or 45 turn would be nice in this truck, but heck even the 27 turn silver can stockers would probably work and they can be found for as low as $5 each!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-Z-E0004-5 ... 58ae92c533
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMIYA-RS-5 ... 20fdbe1814
Monster trucks rule :)

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Yeah, I was figuring if I'm gonna go all out I might as well go brushless too but yeah it'll be way cheaper for a brushed setup.

I'm more debating if I wanna just take a go and my own chassis, like and ridiculously long ESP 2 style or something like that?

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Every time I am in home depot I pick through the little stand that has all the flat, angle, and c channel aluminum and think the same thing!

The hardest part for me would be getting all the holes drilled to exact measurements, but I guess nothing has to be absolutely perfect on a scratch build Clod.

I make all kinds of little brackets and mounts for my RC's with a hacksaw, hand file, and $20 harbor freight drill! Every now and then I bust out the bench grinder but rarely need it.
Monster trucks rule :)

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:11 am

That's my problem though, I'd want it to be exact and that has held me back from building my own.

Plus if I did it I'd want to do weird cool custom touches like rivet it and stuff like that

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 am

To make things easy for me i always mount the shocks to the fram first were i want the axels to be. building a fram isnt hard to do almose all mine have a home build fram.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:29 pm

abailey21 wrote:That's my problem though, I'd want it to be exact and that has held me back from building my own.

Plus if I did it I'd want to do weird cool custom touches like rivet it and stuff like that
I think messing things up is part of the fun. You could also do something like mocking up the chassis in cardboard or even plywood- and going as far as actually mounting everything to it just to determine that all screw holes and other components are exactly where they should be. Check out all the mistake holes I made on my revision 1 6x6 truck... I'm not exactly proud of this but I was like 13 at the time, and I wear those mistakes like a badge of honor because without all those screwups the newer revisions would have never happened.