Tell me about 6x6s

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
Approved Member

Tell me about 6x6s

Post by Saito » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:48 pm

I've been messing with Clods for decades but have never tried to build a 6x6. The other day I tore apart the Bennett Mod Clod clone I built for repairs and started looking at the gearboxes (also considering the 3rd spare gearbox I had in storage). So, what's it like to drive a 6x6? Are they entertaining? As much as I like my TXTs and mod Clods, I personally always keep a stock Clod around for big, bouncey fun. My goal (if I go through with it) is to replicate the Monster Mack from RC Car Action all those years ago. I tracked down the Buddy L truck cab used and have carefully scaled up the dimensions of the truck and materials used by studying the magazine photos. Any 6x6 experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Tell me about 6x6s

Post by SFC K » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:29 am

I would conduct a search for 6X6 in the search function and check out some of the threads here. We don't see a lot of 6x6 trucks these days. I hope this helps...
Jeff

6x6_BigDollars

Post by 6x6_BigDollars » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:32 pm

DO YOU WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE THE STOCK 6 X 6 CHASSIS OR IS THERE

SOMETHING DIFF.I BOUGHT MY CHASSIS FROM THIS GUY.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sicnmeproducts/ ... 7675.l2562

I WAS THINKING OF BUILDING IT OUT OF A GODZILLA 2 CHASSIS JUST SOME OFF THE PARTS,

I WOULD BUY 4 OF THE U SHAPE BRACKET FROM GODZILLA 2 CHASSIS ,THEN GO OVER TO LOEW'S

AND BUY THE SIZE OF ALUM CHANNEL THAT WOULD FIT THE U SHAPE BRACKET FOR THE GODZILLA CHASSIS.

THEN YOU HAVE TO FIGURE HOW WIDE HOW A BOUT 3 1/2 WIDE AND 24 INCH LONG OR 30 AND THEN YOU BUILD YOUR SPACEING.

PM ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP I WILL HELP THE BEST I CAN.JIM
Attachments
066.JPG
066.JPG (157.47 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
064.JPG
064.JPG (150.72 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Message from clodtalk admin:
Jim, aka 6x6_BigDollars, has eye problems, he can't see the screen very well.
He writes in caps so HE can see what he's typing, he's not mad/shouting.
In PM's, it's helpfull if you change your font-size to "huge".

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:55 am

Jim, thanks for posting that seller, I've seen his stuff on ebay here and there....

Now I'm thinking all aluminum 8x8 quad shock for my own build...... good grief!

6x6_BigDollars

Post by 6x6_BigDollars » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:27 pm

THAT SOUND GOOD BUT THE 6 X 6 IS HEAVY WHEN IT ALL BUILT WITH RADIO AND

BATTERY'S IN THE FRAME AND ALL THE WIRE ,NOW IF YOU BUILD A 8 X 8 MAKE SURE

THE FRAME IS RIDGET ENOUGH SO IT DON'T BEND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CHASSIS

AS THAT WILL BE HEAVYER YET.MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK MORE IN CLOD TALK AND

CHECK OUT OTHER BUILDS LIKE THE ONE UNDER YOUR'S THEN CHECK OUT MINE AND

THE REST OF THEM ON THIS PAGE BUT DOWN MORE.
Message from clodtalk admin:
Jim, aka 6x6_BigDollars, has eye problems, he can't see the screen very well.
He writes in caps so HE can see what he's typing, he's not mad/shouting.
In PM's, it's helpfull if you change your font-size to "huge".

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Saito wrote:I've been messing with Clods for decades but have never tried to build a 6x6. The other day I tore apart the Bennett Mod Clod clone I built for repairs and started looking at the gearboxes (also considering the 3rd spare gearbox I had in storage). So, what's it like to drive a 6x6? Are they entertaining? As much as I like my TXTs and mod Clods, I personally always keep a stock Clod around for big, bouncey fun. My goal (if I go through with it) is to replicate the Monster Mack from RC Car Action all those years ago. I tracked down the Buddy L truck cab used and have carefully scaled up the dimensions of the truck and materials used by studying the magazine photos. Any 6x6 experiences would be helpful. Thanks.
Hi there!
I'm a big fan of 6x6 vehicles. Most of my R/C models at this point are all some variation of a 6x6 monster truck.

The 'bouncy fun' part is one major reason i like 6x6 trucks - I spent a good amount of time trying to build one of my rigs to feel and act like a highly upsized stock Tamiya Juggernaut2.

As for steering radius you could really get some serious nimbleness out of your truck if you go with 6WS. I like using a pair of Futaba servos in the mid and rear axles while going with a Hitec up front. The reason for this is because Hitec and Futaba servos spin in opposite directions so you don't need a servo reverser or have to oppose the linkages. Two of my trucks get about a 3 foot turning radius which is a little frightening to see if you're not used to it.

As for driveline, I like using tripled parallel ESCs (both brushed and brushless) which is also really easy to do as well. I like to place batteries in the space between the mid and rear axles - generally as far back as possible to give more balance to the truck and take weight off the front axle. The end result tends to be exceptionally stable handling.

Hope this helps! Thanks for reading.