Black Betty - a Drag Custom

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Dukk
Approved Member

Black Betty - a Drag Custom

Post by Dukk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:11 pm

I posted a pic of this in another thread and thought I should put the rest up. I built this a couple of years ago. It sits pretty much the same today although I do have a driveshaft upgrade in mind. I wanted to build a scale onroad drag car. Reality is the monster motor up front is so heavy it has zero traction and is a real handful to drive. :roll:

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Re: Black Betty - a Drag Custom

Post by slapshot1979 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Well that is refreshing that people are building out of the mainstream stuff. I love it , 2- 6s lipos sitting in back should help with weight. Muhhahaha

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 pm

It looks killer Dukk!

Did you make the chassis?

Slapshot1979 has a point there, maybe mount the lipo directly above the rear axle.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:12 pm

This is cool and I said it before when you posted it. 8) I like how you integrated the Radiator housing to hide the servo and the electric motor add-ons to hide that beast of a motor. I bet this is a handful considering you have it direct drive right from the motor shaft! Does it spin the tires at all like that?
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:17 pm

That is truly incredible!.... I love it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Must see a vid of it running! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:58 pm

simple yet elegant! Awesome
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks all. Yes I made the chassis. I wanted it to look like a real Z'd chassis. I wanted to try to model it as much after a 1:1 build as I could.

The servo inside the radiator is one of my favourite things. Originally I wanted a cowl steering setup but I could not find an extension for the servo to attach the horn outside the body and so that was my solution. BTW I found them after :roll: http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_to_ ... CyFxqN0zDc Maybe on the next one.

All it does is spin the tires :shock: The reason I went with a 1/8 MMonster motor was cuz I knew I needed the torque with the only gearing being in the axle and I wanted low KV. (Plus I had it lying around) It was kinda overkill. That little lipo is a 3cell and it lights the tires like mad. Plus calculated top speed on 3S is over 100mph so I need to try a 2cell to calm it down. I have another drag car with similar drive arrangement that I am half done that will use a 540 can with an HPI Crawler King reducer. I hope it's more manageable.

I'll try to get video but with lots of wheel speed and lots of weight up front it isn't much of a driver. It's better suited for the shelf. :roll:

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:45 pm

Nothing wrong with is sitting on the shelf either. I have a lot of them. :mrgreen:

Were you talking about the HPI GRU? You said reducer and I am assuming that is what you meant. I have one in my CC-01 build and it is stupid slow, but has a ton of torque. I believe they are 1:7 ratio.
Jeff

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:59 pm

That's right, the GRU. It looked to be the cheapest option for something like that. I figure 7:1 with a more 'standard' 5700-7700kv motor should be ok.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I think it will work just fine. It will slow it down for sure. You might not be able to chirp the wheels though. One thing with these is they are really loud so it is normal if you decide to use one.
Jeff