BORIS 6x6x6 Tamiya Bullhead

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

BORIS 6x6x6 Tamiya Bullhead

Post by MelvinsArmy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:28 am

I've wanted to make a 6x6x6 Clod/Bullhead for years. I happened to have 3 complete Clod gearboxes in my stash, then I happened upon a Sassy (as I later found out, Sassy clone) on eBay and the project began. First the chassis, this is a very nice chassis, although I don't think it's a genuine Sassy. The aluminum is slightly thicker than any Sassy Clod chassis I've owned, but for a project like this I didn't mind it being a knock-off, as the beefier aluminum is a good thing. I decided to four link the whole thing, and put 4 Associated shocks on each axle. Motors are 3 Tamiya Sport Tuned. Nothing too crazy, I'm not looking to make a land missile with this one, although gearing is taller than stock to give it some go. All three axles have Tactic HD/MG servos. I also have a PDI Turbo Zeta that I want to use in this, as they are kind of the ultimate old school Clod upgrade. Plus, I can run two six cell packs no problem. I haven't figured the Zeta out yet, so for now it's running on a Novak Super Rooster and one 6 cell pack. Eventually I plan to have extra bells and whistles on this thing, working lights, maybe a horn, who knows. It's controlled by an 8 channel Airtronics surface radio, so I kind of want to go crazy using up those channels with cool stuff.

It is 6 wheel steering as well. Figuring out the center axle was a real pain in the rear, but I did it. It required a custom made servo mount and steering linkage, and some modified shock mounts. The two rear axles steer together and the front axle is on its own channel. So, I can do front axle only, rears only, all axles turning for a tight turn, or all axles crab walking. FUN!

I decided to go with a plain bed. I can always make something if the urge strikes. I did make a platform to hold a JBL bluetooth speaker to crank out some tunes though! I still need to figure out some tie downs for it. I've been thinking maybe a small 8 beer can cooler for the bed maybe, then I can drive it around the backyard and deliver beers to people. The cab was chopped a bit to lower it on the chassis. I'm not a fan of high sitting bodies. The bed was made from sheet styrene.

I've decided to name it BORIS. Since it's based on a Tamiya Bullhead and Bullhead is the name of one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands (Melvins), and Boris is the opening track to that album. A song so good that another band named themselves after it. It's a massive song, this is a massive truck.
[youtube]s9wq-34xyeE[/youtube]

Initial mock up:
IMG_4554.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG (111.76 KiB) Viewed 2155 times

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: BORIS 6x6x6 Tamiya Bullhead

Post by MelvinsArmy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:31 am

Boris-3.jpg
Boris-3.jpg (197.72 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Boris-2.jpg
Boris-2.jpg (185.98 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Boris-3.jpg
Boris-3.jpg (197.72 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Attachments
Boris-1.jpg
Boris-1.jpg (202.55 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:43 am

That truck looks fantastic. Nice and clean, and the bed is just perfect. I really dig this build because it looks purposefully built and professional. I like the idea of the beer cart, but I would be cautious because you might end up rattling the cans a bit too much. kaboom.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 am

That is just awesome!.... and it's going to have the turbo zeta!..... love it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 am

That is awesome! I am thinking of building one too. The sassy clod chassis looks good, but it is a lot of $$$, especially once freight to Aus is added. I think I could make something decent with some aluminium angle.

rknaub
Approved Member

Post by rknaub » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:12 am

Pics of the center servo mount, or it didn't happen!!! :twisted:

Looks good man, I like the bullhead body.
My flagship 6x6x6 build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29626
Peterbuilt crawler build "HellFire": viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29618
Basher build: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29750

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:45 am

Nice looking truck! 8) I really like how you lowered the body. It looks much better than the stock ride height. Looking forward to seeing a video of you delivering some suds to your buds. :mrgreen:
Jeff

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Melvin! You're in Brooklyn now... a bit closer to me :) I'm out in Queens.
Anyhow this build is super clean and I really like it. Especially the speaker mounted on the back :)