Tuff Truck

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Dukk
Approved Member

Tuff Truck

Post by Dukk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:29 am

I've been wanting to build this one for a while. In fact, I started collecting parts a year ago. What I wanted was a 'tough truck'. Something with frame rails, shafty with straight axles. I bought an E-Maxx trans with 2-spd, an EVX2 with pair of Titan 550s, and somehow I already had a pair of wheely king axles and an HPI 79 F150 extended cab body.

So I drew up a chassis to suit the trans, axles and body:

And then it has sat for a year. I had other projects come up but the real hangup was I didn't know what to do for wheels and tires. I bought a couple sets of Axial wheels with Flatirons but wasn't feeling it. Then a buddy posted pics of his SCX10 with Clod rubber and I was sold. I picked up a set of used Clods and dug out my old plans.

I like to mock up a chassis in wood first to get all the suspension holes and what not figured out before cutting aluminum. While laying out this chassis I second guessed my battery placement and thought up an alternative. So now I have two mock up chassis, the original on the bottom, and the new idea on top:

The bottom set would have a 2S pack on edge placed lengthwise behind the trans on each chassis plate. The top set more obviously has the two batts side by side across the chassis plates in the rectangular hole.

Dukk
Approved Member

Re: Tuff Truck

Post by Dukk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:39 am

OK so now I take a closer look at the axles. I need steering and link and shock connections points. I think I'm going to order the 3Racing servo mount and probably their steering arm too. Here is the servo mount I'm looking at:

For the lower links and shock mounts I want the crawler king axle mounts. 3Racing makes an aluminum set but I can't find a set so I'm going with the HPI plastic ones for now.

For the upper links, the only prefab one I like comes out of Thailand and they're sorta pricey so I made a set.

Next comes the trans mount.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:54 am

:popcorn:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:16 am

This looks like it will be an interesting build..... Looking forward to see further progress :thumbsup:

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Looks good so far. 8)

:popcorn:
Jeff

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am

So I'm super cheap and impatient as well, so it's a good thing I don't mind making what I can. I wasn't feeling having to wait for the steering or suspension bits, so I made what I had to and made do with the rest.

First, I locked out the rear steering

And then set about to make a servo mount. I don't have the stock steering link and I see they are bent so a simple drag link wasn't going to work. I decided to center mount the servo and go with twin links

Saved myself about $40 by not buying parts for two hours of work 8)

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 am

Well, by now I was feeling quite pleased with myself so I figured I may as well get on with the links

I indexed the diffs on purpose to keep the driveshaft angle into the diff to a minimum. I never can figure out why people have these crazy angles on their u-joints. That just begs for trouble.

Then it was time to mock the chassis up. I went with 80mm spacers and 100mm tie rods to hold the plates together and keep the lower links as parallel as possible.

The shocks are from HSP and I think are 100mm. They're a little shorter (1/4" maybe) than stock Clod shocks. They might get changed out to maxx shocks if they suck.

Next came the rolling stock. Again, coming across these is what kick-started this build.

And then the body had to make it on there. Now, I did draw this all out on paper but I was still a little surprised to see it all lined up well. Sitting like this, when the shocks bottom out the body has about 1/4" of clearance to the tires.

The only thing I have going on is some minor rub on the inside of the wheels from the lockout links in the back and a little more than minor rub inside the wheels from the steering links in the front. I might just file the rod ends but, as the stance is a little narrow, I might go with 2.2 wheels inserted inside the clod wheels to both get some offset and also eliminate the clod hub adaptors. I don't like the idea of drilling out the center of the wheel but may just have to deal with it.

Now maybe I can get onto the trans mounts..

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:44 am

can you build me one once your done? :D haha looks nice dukk

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Looks great! I like the scale of the axles in relation to the body and the rest of the build. I think the WK axles are a the perfect scale for this type of build.

If you want to fix the rub in the rear, Hot Racing makes rear axle lockouts for the WK. Their are others too, but these were the cheapest.

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?par ... 6L01;c=237
Jeff

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 pm

^ Yes, thanks for that. I have seen other lockout solutions too. I'm being cheap right now :mrgreen:

Plus I want to widen the stance a bit but will probably look at those lockouts sooner or later.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Nice work so far, love how it's shaping up!

If I may.... on the steering, I tried what your doing on an axial ridgecrest:

As you can see in the pick (above) my steering makes the outside tire turn in more than the inside one does. Apparently....this is bad.

So, after looking at it and thinking about it some.... I came up with this:
There is just barely enough room to get away with this.

So now the inside tire turns more, to help pull the truck where it's aimed and cut down on the harsh angle on the outside knuckle. All I can say is that on the rocks it did seem better.

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Nice work so far, love how it's shaping up!

If I may.... on the steering, I tried what your doing on an axial ridgecrest:

As you can see in the pick (above) my steering makes the outside tire turn in more than the inside one does. Apparently....this is bad.

So, after looking at it and thinking about it some.... I came up with this:
There is just barely enough room to get away with this.

So now the inside tire turns more, to help pull the truck where it's aimed and cut down on the harsh angle on the outside knuckle. All I can say is that on the rocks it did seem better.
yeah alot of crawler guys run setups like that, it works pretty good.

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 pm

The steering setup is for sure a compromise and I know of this issue but was unsure how to fix it. Thanks for the tip - I can definitely open up those tie rods to do that if (when) I need to.

I doubt I'll get to even look at the truck again until Friday though. :?

RC10Johnny

Post by RC10Johnny » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:34 am

Just a Tip! when I use allthread I use hollow tube over the thread so it will look solid...Johnny

Dukk
Approved Member

Post by Dukk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:38 pm

^ For sure. The links are all tubed now and aluminum chassis plates on. First run out the rear diff was clicking hard so I have picked up hardened ring and pinion gears and also spiders for the diffs to unlock both front and rear. It doesn't really steer right now with them both locked! :thumbsdown: :lol:

A little wrench time this weekend and I hope run #2 goes better.