Project Swimmer

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
132NHAF
Administrator

Project Swimmer

Post by 132NHAF » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Some of you have seen my questions about power loss over long lengths of wire. This thread will explain why I am asking.

Instead of waiting until the last minute for next Spring's science fair, I decided to help my son start a project that, with enough time, he can build mostly on his own (with supervision of course). I have wanted to build an underwater ROV for years. I came across a couple of DIY sites and have some great info, then I saw this kit. There are issues with the kit that I don't like. The major one is how the camera housing is mounted. Our frame will be built around the housing instead of having it look like an afterthought.

Some specs:

Power: Stick packs. Either 7.2. 8.4, or 9.6.
Motors: Clod silver cans (for testing) X3
Camera: Webcam sealed into custom housing
Controls: on-off-on toggles X3
Depth: 40ft +/-

More to come when the webcam gets here. We have almost all of the other materials already.
Attachments
underwater_rov_diy_kit.jpg
underwater_rov_diy_kit.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Re: Project Swimmer

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Sweet. Can't wait to see it working.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 am

That is cool and what a way for kids to learn as well. Good luck on the build and can't wait to see it in action!
Jeff

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:32 pm

How are you going to keep it from being front heavy ??
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

KaMaKaZeE
Approved Member

Post by KaMaKaZeE » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 pm

The trick is to get it neurally buoyant, to get it to not float but not sink. This is achieved by the foam on top and counter weight on the bottom. Since he was asking about loos of power over a long stretch of wire i assume he is only mounting there necessary electronics on it ie the motors and the rest of the electronics will be topside. With the 3 motors you have left foreward/reverse, right foreward/reverse and up/&own so a 3 channel system with a monitor and you are ready to go, sorry for jumping into someone elses thread but thats what i gather from my observations

I want to add that this is a really good idea for a science project and i might borrow the idea if you dont mind, might get my son more interested in electronics and robotics, anything to get him off the video game

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Don't worry about "jumping in" here on clodtalk.
If it's not locked, or a gallery thread.... it's fair game.

You just added a lot of good info, I'm sure Scott (132NHAF) would appreciate it if you continued. :thumbsup:

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:00 pm

KaMaKaZeE no hijacking at all. I appreciate the input. Yes on the neutral buoyancy and yes on the top water electronics. Initially we will be creating a simple three-toggle (on-of-on) switch system so the initial voltage loss may be a good thing to keep things slow and steady.

Here are two of the sites I found. The one without the camera has all the schematic and parts list. The cube is a little more inline with the design we will be going with.

http://www.mbari.org/education/rov/default.html

http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/build- ... r-250-3871
Scott T

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

KaMaKaZeE
Approved Member

Post by KaMaKaZeE » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

What would be cool is if you a two stick foreward/reverse control like the old tyco tracked rc car and use the for your horizontal movement similar to a skid steer and use a toggle for your dive/surface. You also might look at a radio for one of the cheap rc helicopters that are running 3 ch,

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:10 am

Oh man. Can you imagine the bikini shots with this thing?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hahaha. That's a cool build for a kid too do.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 am

Just think of all the golf balls you well find . :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Wow, What a ride!"

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:46 am

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's just wrong. Hilarious, but wrong. :lol: :lol:
SFC K is my hero!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 pm

vwjuice wrote:Oh man. Can you imagine the bikini shots with this thing?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hahaha. That's a cool build for a kid too do.
What's your wife's e-mail again......?
I need to send her a link to this thread.... :twisted: ...... :rofl:

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think so bud. Nice try
SFC K is my hero!

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 am

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally an update. I have been waiting since mid October for the webcam to get here and they finally refunded my money (after saying the post office lost it...three times). I ordered another that should be here on Wednesday but the deadline is approaching. My son and I hit the bricks and did all this work between yesterday and today. He did a great job helping and learned a lot about wiring and buying the proper materials (bought the wrong switches and had to rewire the whole box today).

We got it into the water today and it went pretty well. I held the leads to a standard 9v battery and it worked fine. We need some more substantial props that I can get a set screw into since this is a direct drive system. The tubing is currently sealed (except for the middle motor support which is adjustable) and the assembly is a bit buoyant right now. After the cameras are mounted we will regroup with weights and/or flotation.

By the way, the 9v battery with about 12 feet of wiring worked fine. I will go ahead with the original plan of using stick packs to power this.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Some of the basic supplies. (yes, those are stock cans that will work for a while)
Attachments
ROV Controls.jpg
ROV Controls.jpg (143.87 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
ROV on the Deck.jpg
ROV on the Deck.jpg (305.08 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
First Pool Test.jpg
First Pool Test.jpg (186.14 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
ROV Supplies Resized.jpg
ROV Supplies Resized.jpg (251.98 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
Scott T

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 am

Now I see why you need the larger props. :mrgreen: Those are really small! :shock: I can't wait to see the video of this in action.
Jeff