Project Swimmer

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
132NHAF
Administrator

Re: Project Swimmer

Post by 132NHAF » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:36 am

The props actually work all right. At least side to side. I'm concerned that if I put too large a prop it may go faster than I want. Remember, eventually this thing will be over 30 ft down in limited-visibility water. I'm not looking for 20mph. It's more of a solid mounting platform I'm looking for.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

JandG
Approved Member

Post by JandG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

wow...I am hooked on this.....Keep it coming and awesome project

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I think I found the solution to the direct drive.

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/prop_adapte ... 3_prd1.htm

Looks like it will allow me to run whatever prop I want and give the prop an offset from the motors.
Scott T

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

This is pretty neat! If I had a swimming pool I would totally want to do stuff like this...
I'm going to guess that not only the props are on the small side, but they are too close to the motors (the adapter you got should address some of that).
They are probably cavitating and are running so close to the motors that they aren't able to impart thrust cleanly.
Very awesome so far though!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

132NHAF wrote:I think I found the solution to the direct drive.

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/prop_adapte ... 3_prd1.htm

Looks like it will allow me to run whatever prop I want and give the prop an offset from the motors.
That looks like a great idea for your application. Did you ever look at the props I linked in your other thread?
Jeff

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:53 pm

So no new pics but my son and I make a little progress yesterday. Got the motor wires soldered, wrapped, and secured to the frame. I also ordered some prop adapters (the ones for airplanes were the ticket) and the web cam came. The camera is small and will fit inside a 2" PVC pipe which will cut down on the size. I am waiting to hear back from a company about "Water Tight Wire Connectors" made to pass wires through boxes etc. that will see water service. That should solve my camera housing needs. Hopefully we will get this thing in the pool and take some video this weekend.
Scott T

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:42 am

The prop adapters showed up today and the look like they will work perfect.
Attachments
Prop adapter resized.jpg
Prop adapter resized.jpg (123.87 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Scott T

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Worked on the housing for the camera. The foam insert is to keep the camera pressed up against the front of the housing. The rear (where the wire exits) is my own creation. It is about 95% sealed with the two pieces with the offset cable channel. After I flush-cut both ends they will be sleeved with PVC slip connectors. That will securely seal both ends. The white/blue thing is a paper towel envelop with desiccant inside to prevent moisture buildup inside the housing.
Attachments
foam resized.jpg
foam resized.jpg (251.21 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
internal camera resize.jpg
internal camera resize.jpg (166.27 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
side resized.jpg
side resized.jpg (223.29 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
sealed end resized.jpg
sealed end resized.jpg (192.6 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Scott T

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:42 am

Got a lot done today. You can see in the video that we still have some tuning to do. We need just a bit more ballast on the rear and maybe shave 1/4" off a couple of the front pieces. Also, I didn't notice it at the time but the props on the sides are not the same. One is reversed. I will buy one more instead of rewiring them. Also we need a bigger prop for the depth motor. Even at almost neutral buoyancy you can see we can't get it off the bottom of the pool. One more thing is that there was a little moisture inside the camera housing. I will try to seal it up for the next test but if it doesn't work we will have to build another (we already have plans for a simpler setup).

http://youtu.be/S1WgJiGBKSA

Here's a still
Attachments
Finished ROV resized.jpg
Finished ROV resized.jpg (240.44 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Scott T

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:53 am

So, had another test tonight. Looks like Project Swimmer is going to get some upgrades. Here are the results:

Ultimately, the deeper the ROV goes the less buoyant it becomes via compression of the foam.

Using pipe insulation is not going to work, too soft, cells too open and it actually absorbs a little water. We will use either wrapped Styrofoam or some other type dense closed-cell foam for flotation.

Next, the motors seem a bit undersized and/or the props undersized as well. We will be purchasing three bilge pump replacement motors to replace the current ones. The benefits are they are completely submersible and full of torque. The negative is we will have to use a 12v power supply for them (not a problem on the pontoon boat, but a pain by the pool). After we install the bilge pumps we will attempt to use the same props to see what happens. If they are still undersized they will be upgraded to 2".

One last thing, the housing for the web cam has at least a tablespoon of water inside. I drilled a hole to drain it and will be trying another sealer tomorrow night if it is dry enough. If the camera is toast at least we are only out about $14.

On a high note, my son is very proud of the work we did and can't wait to show it off at school Friday. (even if it kills the camera...lol)
Scott T

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:56 am

This is just such a cool project! :thumbsup: =D>