SFC K's Puller

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Administrator

Re: SFC K's Puller

Post by SFC K » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:32 am

Budhatrain wrote:
Brad from TTR is a wizard at pulling, be sure to ask him mucho questions.

I was hoping to get his attention too. :wink: I posted my build over on RCMT as well... :wink:

That does help Mike...It is hard to find pictures of the bodies off on puller trucks...Thanks!!!!
Jeff

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 am

The guys at the track should be really cool and help you out a lot. I know thats how they are around here. Some of the guys don't want to share all their secrets but I haven't ran into any like that. That's probably why you haven't seen to many body off shots though.

Personally i dont care so I will build one too! These look easy to fabricate from raw materials we can get locally :). I will share with you what I find out. I feel we should readily share the information to get more people involved!
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:40 am

Budhatrain wrote:The guys at the track should be really cool and help you out a lot. I know thats how they are around here. Some of the guys don't want to share all their secrets but I haven't ran into any like that. That's probably why you haven't seen to many body off shots though.

Personally i dont care so I will build one too! These look easy to fabricate from raw materials we can get locally :). I will share with you what I find out. I feel we should readily share the information to get more people involved!
Totally agree on that Mike! I will be taking notes when I go to the meet. Some of the guy's are from the Crawler scene here as well. This is more so to have something to do in the winter months for some... :wink: :mrgreen:
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Added front bumper so I can add suit case weights to it...Now where are those gears.... :roll:

Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:30 am

Man this just keeps getting better! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Thunder VP
Business Member

Post by Thunder VP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 am

SFC K wrote:
Budhatrain wrote:
Brad from TTR is a wizard at pulling, be sure to ask him mucho questions.

I was hoping to get his attention too. :wink: I posted my build over on RCMT as well... :wink:

That does help Mike...It is hard to find pictures of the bodies off on puller trucks...Thanks!!!!
I've been watching. Looks like its heading in the right direction.
What's the motor and battery limit for the 7# class?

I run NR/CTPA dirt 10# ProMod.
I did all carpet pulling years ago so I do know that well also.
100:1 seems really high to me even for carpet. 50-60:1 sounds more reasonable, but if the guys you will run with are up there, I guess take their word for it.

Here's the ProMod chassis I build:
You can see a loose gearbox beginings in the background.
4wd:

If you would like to see other body off pics, I'm sure I can help out.
I will be up in MN for a few days at the end of the month. Too bad it was not a week earlier, I could have made the practice.
Brad, Thunder Tech Racing V.P.
http://www.thundertechracing.com

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks a ton Brad! That does help! I wish you were going to be here for it too. They are also having a swap meet that day as well so it is going to be a double hoot!

That Promod chassis looks really tight! 8)

I also have it all together now and ran it across the carpet. I think you are right on the 100:1 being to high. It seems to be slower than what I have seen on Youtube...PaulS is the one that gave me this advice. You might know him as he is a member over on RCMT as well. I will post some pictures tonight. :wink:
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:25 am

Updates:

I am thinking the 27T motor is too slow. I think I am going to put the Duratrax back in and see if I can get a little bit more wheel speed. Thoughts?

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 am

I recalculated my gear ratio and it is 88:1 so maybe it will be fine? I am going to leave it as is until the practice round on the 20th and adjust then....
Jeff

Thunder VP
Business Member

Post by Thunder VP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 am

27T is not what you want. I would recommend a 10-12T if you have one and want to stay brushed.

On dirt we run around 20-35:1 with a 3S and up to 6900kv motors so they are moving.
If I remember right our carpet ProMods ran 40-60:1 even before brushless was allowed. It did make the motors run hot and required frequent brush changes.
Brushless is a whole new game now.

Do they have a motor & or cell limit for the 5&7# classes?

I'll be at the NR/CTPA Worlds this weekend, are any of the MN guys going this year? I met a few of them when they came in years past.
Brad, Thunder Tech Racing V.P.
http://www.thundertechracing.com

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:00 am

Ok, I will change that out right away. I was wondering what size motor was key to starting out.

Max voltage for Brushed motor is 8.4. I am using 2s pack so I should be good. They said the follow the 5-7 lb rules...Other then they do allow the rc4wd pulling tires.

I'm not sure if any of them are going to the worlds or not. I have not met most of the club yet.
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:22 pm

If I go 12T or less would a Traxxas 12T Titan be a good choice? Just curious what type of brushed motors work the best, closed end bell or rebuildable...
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 am

Updates, All done except for the rear body mount...I went with the 12T Titan motor and the speed seems right. I am excited to go practice with this on Sunday! :)

Some more pictures...

Jeff

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 am

Looking good. now get it painted well ya
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 am

I just picked up a chassis this weekend at the worlds. Already have it at a machine shop for some weights to be added.

keep it up, you ARE my inspiration!!!
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/