Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

6WD/6WS Clod Buster - Tiamat

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Re: 6WD/6WS Clod Buster - Tiamat

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 am

Nice looking trio! The tires do look taller and should work great that way. Might be a little bouncy but the weight should help with that.

I have three axles laying on the bench, I wonder if I should build one of these beasts? :mrgreen:
Jeff

GRAVETXT-1
First real R/C car: Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:01 pm

SFC K wrote:Nice looking trio! The tires do look taller and should work great that way. Might be a little bouncy but the weight should help with that.

I have three axles laying on the bench, I wonder if I should build one of these beasts? :mrgreen:
You lucky devil. Yes go for it :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:19 pm

SFC K wrote:Nice looking trio! The tires do look taller and should work great that way. Might be a little bouncy but the weight should help with that.

YES! Do it now! Build! :)

I did a quick test drive outside finally and discovered the tires are a bit TOO bouncy- but mostly because I had done nothing to change my shock/damper scenario. Cutting some air and swapping shock oil from 70wt to 20wt or maybe less should remedy the situation...

SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 pm

LOL, Ok, ok I will consider it. :wink: I kind of thought it was going to be bouncy, but some tweaks should help.... :wink:
Jeff

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Well, I am still working on very mundane stuff but I have a limited amount of time to my own... so i will take what I can get!

I noticed some of my old suspension links were getting a bit creaky. Too much wear for comfort, and these have lasted well since 2001.

It was time for an upgrade.

One rod done... and then all of the rest...

Link rod geometry looks a bit crazy, but i will adjust the appearance of that from the top shock mounts instead of messing with the link caster.
It turns out that altering the caster will affect my motor endbell clearance- so that's the way it's going to be.

Most of the links are 3/8"steel rod from reclaimed printers- except for the upper mid and rear axle links. I used aluminum for those to save some weight.

Also, I didn't realize this at the time but my front links were all hardened steel. Lathe and drilling operations seemed a bit slower but tapping... that was a struggle (no broken taps- just sloooooow)...

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:56 pm

No major changes... I am almost done with the body. I have found time to do some R/C stuff again.
My other hobby is distance swimming and I am temporarily sidelined with an injury.

After many failed attempts at masking with stencil to create the 'shadow' design (and much wasted brake fluid) I decided to just go straight up yellow for the time being... back to the original simple paint scheme.

The truck is functional and running. I have been working on the onboard Raspberry Pi and data collection computer with both this truck and Power Pig.

NorthernNightmare
Approved
First real R/C car: TXT-1

Post by NorthernNightmare » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 am

That rig is a beast :o

Looks with those axles and 6 rc4wd wheels, you got a bunch of money in that unit

Let me know if your ever forced to sell it. :wink: