Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Any non clod 6x6s ?

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
RCMT John
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Hotshot

Any non clod 6x6s ?

Post by RCMT John » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 am

I remember years ago a company making a 6x6 conversion for the juggernaut.Wish I had bought one. Is anybody make anything non clod ? Ive seen RC4wd axles in the past that would work but I prefer to avoid them.

Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Re: Any non clod 6x6s ?

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:51 am

There are some Crawler 6wd trucks getting around. Not sure about actual monsters though.

Saito
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunch Box

Post by Saito » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 pm

RCCA's Bill O'Brien (who I believe is Hardedge, a member here) built the first 6x6 (technically a 6x4, I guess) out of a couple of Blackfoots (Blackfeet?) and some Hot Trick parts for the the August '89 issue IIRC. The very next month Jon Freed's Monster Mack appeared on the cover, but it was Clod based though. I really do admire that guy.

Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:42 pm

I remember that 4x6 Blackfoot! Had no idea he was a member on here!

Saito
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunch Box

Post by Saito » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 pm

I think it was called the Behemoth. I read RCCA issues cover to cover probably 100 times over back then. Now all the stuff is stuck in my memory banks, lol.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Hello there,
I have build a pair of non-Clod based 6x6 trucks using a fairly conventional chassis designs in both cases.

First off is Pickle Time, a TLT-1 based truck with small axles and original TLT-sized tires. The motor is a brushless outrunner, which is why there is basically no gearbox and the driveline is so compact.

Next up is Mammoet, a Juggernaut/TXT-1 based truck. Originally it had a three-speed in it, but I have since reverted to the more conventional dual brushed 540 silver can transmission. I'm not ruling out a jump to a manual transmission in the future, but the truck needs a manual clutch to make that work well I think.

I don't have many public videos of Mammoet running. This one is short but gives a decent sense of how it drives.

These images show Pickle Time next to the other 6x6 trucks to give a sense of scale- and how small it is.

RCMT John
Approved

Post by RCMT John » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:54 am

How did you modify the input shaft on the middle axle ? Or did you buy a kit back when they were available ? Input shaft would need to become an input/output shaft which is what I would need. Does anybody make them ? Nice fleet !

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks!
I don't think there was a lengthened input shaft ever available as an aftermarket part.
I ended up making my own instead.
It started off with a tool steel round, and lathed it down to 6mm on the input side, left i think 6.5mm for the splined part, and then taped down to 5mm on the output side.

I have only one spare, but it was machined out of soft mild steel so I would have a master copy as a reference if I ever broke the existing one. Unfortunately I just don't have the time these days to do much work in the hobby. I tend to get busier in the summers than any other part of the year at work.

RCMT John
Approved

Post by RCMT John » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Nice. Yeah,There was a company back in the day that offered a kit for the juggernaut but I dont think they were around long. I know what you mean about time. I bought a mini lathe years ago and never get around to really using it. More project ideas then I'll ever get to.

matt1ptkn
First real R/C car: Tamiya Clodbuster, new for Xmas in '88.

Post by matt1ptkn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:37 pm

RCMT John wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 pm
More project ideas then I'll ever get to.
Unfortunately, I know the feeling of this all too well. :(
-Matt

RCMT John
Approved

Post by RCMT John » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:28 am

Id love to make a jugg/txt one but think I'll just get a Konghead for now. They look relatively small but big enough to be fun.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 pm

I have a few reservations about the Konghead, but I think it will sell quite well- and it also will accomplish its mission of being a fun truck.