SMT10 required items

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
Approved Member

SMT10 required items

Post by Saito » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 pm

I MIGHT be lucky enough to have the funds for an SMT10 in the future. My question is simple, what mods does the truck need out of the box to run a mild brushless (or even a 12T Titan) and be reliable. I don't want Clod tires. I don't want stupid power, just more entertaining than the slow stock setup. Shooting for reliability. The only other thing I'd consider is shortening the wheelbase (which seems crazy-long to me). So many of the builds disappear down a rabbit hole of ever increasing build-up which confuses me as I've never had an Axial product. Depending on the poster, its a great truck or one that breaks links, driveshafts, gears, etc. on stock power, so I'm a little lost. The entry price is steep enough, but I don't want to throw a fortune at it just to get it usable. If I have to do that, I'll just get another TXT-2. Thanks for any insight. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

87lc2
Approved Member

Re: SMT10 required items

Post by 87lc2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 am

I have an SMT10 Digger that I bought new and put a Castle 4300kv system in. Haven't broken anything yet, but I wouldnt go by me as I haven't really run it that much. Mostly because I hate it compared to my custom Axial MTs, Clods, TXT 1s and 2s. Wheelbase is way to long as you suggested and the shock mounting positions are very unrealistic if you care about that sort of thing. Easily changed, but between the WB, shocks, wheels/tires its just a bad looking truck in my opinion as far as a scale monster truck goes. I just plan on upgrading a few things to make it look better, but will most likely keep the running gear stock as its held up pretty well so far.

I have heard that the tranny gears dont last long but I havent had any issues yet. Everything else seems pretty durable. I'm actually not a fan of the AR60 axles at all as I've had many issues with them in my other Axial MTs but they seem to be doing OK so far.

I doubt this post will help you much, but to answer your question, I would go ahead and go brushless. If keeping the stock wheels/tires you'll most likely just have to upgrade the tranny gears to metal at some point. Everything else should be OK depending on how hard you are on your equipment.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:04 pm

I bought two smt 10 for my nephews, They beat the crap out of them, but i would recomend getting a new parted out roller off ebay for less money

I said the same thing, like i would be ok with the tires for the kids, but they are just so damb ugly and make the truck look out of scale and unstable.

Yes the trans gears will break, also the drive shafts, as both of ours did.

So for the reason above, If i did it again, we would just get the ebay roller and put the real tires on, get a full metal trand and whatever motor sytem you want. for a similar price to out the box unit.

All is good and fixed on ours now, just extra cost with the rtr

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks. I was hoping to save the drivetrain a bit by keeping the stock tires, but that sounds like a no-go looks-wise. The trans gears I kinda figured on. I might still be on the fence. I want a scale truck and I like the my smaller CR-01 truck I built. The Axial has the beginnings of that scale look but blows it with the tires and long wheelbase. The shock position I understand is more for performance but at least they can be relocated. Its a lot of money that sounds like it needs even more put into it to get it workable. A roller might be best. Still debating.

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 pm

You can get them for around $329.99 shipped nowadays, have seen a few:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Racing-SM ... Swjk9ZVD-D

For that price I'd say its worth it. The only other out of the box option right now is the TXT-2 (unless I'm forgetting something) and that retails for around $470.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 am

The wraith I built (same running gear) I just upgraded the idler gear in the tranny to a steel one.
Driveshafts, mostly the rear one. It was okay, but I'd never build another. AR60 axles are really not meant for clod-sized tires.

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:59 am

I agree.
AR60's are at their limit with clod-sized wheels and tires with a mild brushless setup.
My SMT-10 uses AR60's with an all metal trans, e-revo shafts and a 3660 3800kv brushless setup on 2s. After each run most of the screws on the axles are starting to back out and things are sloppy. But it's still a blast to drive.