HELP! Axle/Diff questions (AR60)

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
DirtyChevy45

HELP! Axle/Diff questions (AR60)

Post by DirtyChevy45 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:54 pm

what are you guys running for gears in your diffs? i got some rc4wd spider gears and there diff case and they dont seem to be jiving in my ssd axle? i also have a axial ring and pinion gear set.... not sure what i'm failing to understand here.....any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Re: HELP! Axle/Diff questions (AR60)

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I use HPI gears in my AR60's.
Filled with 200K Silicone Oil and no issues.

DirtyChevy45

Post by DirtyChevy45 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:33 pm

what type of diff cup are you using?

rcupp

Post by rcupp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am

I use SSD housings with Hot Racing diff cups, HPI spiders...You need to make sure the inner pinion bearing is fully seated, don't be afraid to smack on the pinion with something to get it seated and it all should just fall together. With my setup I also had to be careful that the spiders were meshed right or the axle ends would bind up going in. You also need the gasket for the diff cup and if you put fluid in you need the red 1.5mm orings for the axle holes.

DirtyChevy45

Post by DirtyChevy45 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm

rcupp wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am
I use SSD housings with Hot Racing diff cups, HPI spiders...You need to make sure the inner pinion bearing is fully seated, don't be afraid to smack on the pinion with something to get it seated and it all should just fall together. With my setup I also had to be careful that the spiders were meshed right or the axle ends would bind up going in. You also need the gasket for the diff cup and if you put fluid in you need the red 1.5mm orings for the axle holes.

just an update:

with no help from the support people over at Rc4wd i managed to get the diff working decent enough to keep together and see how it runs. it took alot of head scratching and measuring different thickness o-rings and shims i had available and coming up with a combo that seemed to suffice. the end caps on the axle seemed a little tight but managed to get them on and i forsee them loosening up after everything wears in. filled it with my special lubrificant and it seems to be working great so far inside the not so sealed diff cup.

thanks for everyones help

also i ordered a hot racing diff cup to try on the front end but the hpi spiders are out of stock everywhere.... pinion bearings are nice and seated fine....thats the problem i have been fighting is the spider gears meshing properly, they just seemed like they didn't go together or were to far seperated but i managed to get them okay enough to put together....which brings me to my next question about o-rings and where they go that you are talking about?? thank you

Mike

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 am

DirtyChevy45 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:33 pm
what type of diff cup are you using?
Stock diff cups.
I just set all the diff gears in place and put some 200k in.
Not too much though. Just enough to cover the gears and closed it back up. I'm sure some will leak out over time but so far it's working out well.

rcupp

Post by rcupp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:14 am

DirtyChevy45 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm
rcupp wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am

just an update:

with no help from the support people over at Rc4wd i managed to get the diff working decent enough to keep together and see how it runs. it took alot of head scratching and measuring different thickness o-rings and shims i had available and coming up with a combo that seemed to suffice. the end caps on the axle seemed a little tight but managed to get them on and i forsee them loosening up after everything wears in. filled it with my special lubrificant and it seems to be working great so far inside the not so sealed diff cup.

thanks for everyones help

also i ordered a hot racing diff cup to try on the front end but the hpi spiders are out of stock everywhere.... pinion bearings are nice and seated fine....thats the problem i have been fighting is the spider gears meshing properly, they just seemed like they didn't go together or were to far seperated but i managed to get them okay enough to put together....which brings me to my next question about o-rings and where they go that you are talking about?? thank you

Mike
I got my HPI 86014 gear sets from Crawford but he shows out of them, someone on the net should have a set somewhere, they're all over ebay.
The red o-rings I mentioned go in the reliefs inside the diff cup and ring gear side where the axle passes through on both sides to keep the oil in. The HPI gear set comes with stainless washers that go behind the side gears and help with the sealing as well as any wear from the diff turning. If you download the SMT10 manual it calls out the orings and locations. Installing the gears they are real finicky about being in time, if they aren't the axles will not go in smoothly and will wobble out of round at the diff end, eventually it will eat the diff cup hole out. The shoulders on the keyed axle ends should slide into the diff cup hole, not be outside of it. Also make sure your axle ends are not binding on the center gear cross shaft.

DirtyChevy45

Post by DirtyChevy45 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm

thanks bud i appreciate it i got some o-rings on order and another HR diff cup to try and use these rc4wd diff gears. because its what i already have.

rcupp

Post by rcupp » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 am

I do remember when I built mine, if you are using the SSD shafts you do have to shorten them to clear the cross pin, assemble it without the diff in it and you can see how much to cut.

DirtyChevy45

Post by DirtyChevy45 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 pm

update:

i got some HR diff cups and with the RC4WD spider gear set the fit is MUCH better, waiting on some o-rings now for inside the diff cup to put it all together but just from a trial test fit everything seems to be working smoothly as it should. ill update when i am able to get everything back in the axles. moral of the story is you may be able to use the rc4wd gears as an alternative for HPI and factory axial ones.... just keeping you guys in the loop!

Mike

rknaub
Approved Member

Post by rknaub » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:44 am

I'm using axial yeti gears I believe, with some 1,000,000 wt fluid. Maybe it's ridgecrest gears? I can look, either way it's holding up to some 3s brushless power.
My flagship 6x6x6 build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29626
Peterbuilt crawler build "HellFire": viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29618
Basher build: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29750