Thinking of getting a new shafty

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
Approved Member

Thinking of getting a new shafty

Post by Saito » Thu May 25, 2017 1:08 am

I've been considering getting a new, smaller shaft driven truck. My choices are the SMT10 (really tempting now the prices have come down), Redcat Ground Pounder, or HPI Wheely King. I've never had any monsters outside of Tamiya except a Stampede (sold) and my Emaxx and thought I might step outside my comfort zone. Mild brushless and a speed around 18-20 mph are my goals. I'm not even sure I'd go with Clod tire right off the bat. As a fall back plan, I could convert my CR-01 crawler into a monster truck if I decide to stay inside my Tamiya cave. :lol: Any suggestions welcome.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Thinking of getting a new shafty

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu May 25, 2017 12:25 pm

I haven't had the Axial, so can't comment on that but it does look like a great platform to start. I love the Wheely Kings... they're cheap and easy to mod. They are 1/12 though, not sure if this is an issue. I personally think that they are too small for Clod tyres, but look great with 2.2 tyres on widened wheels. I'm not sure how well they will hold up to 20mph, but thats the speed that I am aiming for with the one I recently built up. i haven't had a chance to run it yet! The Ground Pounder...... check my thread here; viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27960

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

I would convert your CR-01. Unlock the diffs and get a set of wheely king tires, I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I love my SCX10 and if I wanted a small monster truck I'd likely convert that (same way, wheely king tires), but axial is having supplier issues right now, so I'd wait till that gets sorted out before I bought anything from them.

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Thu May 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was really intrigued by the Ground Pounder and the fact it was designed by CPE but from what I've read (dodgy electronics, snapping axle housings, etc.), I think I may run the other way. I still like the idea of a slightly stretched Wheely King but by the time I add steel tranny gears and heavy duty axle gears, the price starts to add up. Still on the fence about that one. I didn't know Axial was having supplier problems at the moment. The SMT10 sure looks cool though. I have some Wheely King tires to try out on my CR01. I'll definitely have to gear it up. At best, it looks like its still geared slightly lower than the Clod.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Do you still have the stock 27 turn silver can motor in the CR-01?
If so, consider running it on a 3S lipo battery. That will add considerable speed and power.
I do this with my clodbuster and it works wonders.

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am

I have 2 ground pounders and with a few mods like axle braces, links and ends and gear change it is alot of fun. I put clod wheels on it with cpe adaptors and am still running the stock radio electronics and have had no issues with them. I did change the rear steer pivot point to reduce the steering throw and it worked out great. Also changed the motor and makes a big difference. My other pounder is my daughters which is basically stock except for new lower links and all new ends, different 27t motor and gearing, front steering only , tmaxx tires on the stock redcat wheels and a flysky radio. She has a blast with it and with the 4wd she can run it in the yard and not worry about getting stuck. The other bonus is that down the road you can always upgrade the axles to something else and still have the cool looking chassis. The smt10 is a cool looking truck and seems that people are starting to mod the heck out of them but i don't have any personal experience with it .

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Fri May 26, 2017 10:37 pm

No Lipos in my house unfortunately. I'm quite stuck in the dark ages with my Nicads and NiMh batteries. Now I read ratpower396's post and I want a Ground Pounder all over again. I see the GPs originally came with different radio gear. Are all the issues I'm digging up in various reviews like the faulty radio gear and brittle axle housings resolved with the newer trucks? Oh, I forgot to ask. Do the exposed pinion and spur cause issues with the GP?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 pm

I never had any trouble with the radio... in fact I would say it is the best thing on the GP! I actually bought another couple of radios for my other trucks. My motor didn't last long, smoked in pretty early on. I don't remember having issues with the esc. I never had a problem with the exposed gears.

Major Issues I found;
* Axle housings are weak and break - A couple of companies (Hesse and another?) make axle braces - cost $$$ - I made my own.
* Pinion/Spur alignment is near on impossible to get right as the motor mount flexes when driving. You can go with Mod1 gears which doesn't fix the issue, but mesh doesn't seem to be as critical as with the 48P gears. You can fix the issue once and for all with a Hesse motor mount, but $$.
* Chassis is thin and will bend if you take decent jumps. Some people add braces, some buy another set of plates and double them up. I used extra braces, but it still bent, so I bolted on some aluminium angle.
* Links and link ends are weak. To be fair, this could be said of a lot of other trucks as well. I went with CPE links - a lot stronger.
* Drive shafts are weak - I broke mine when it was still stock - replaced with aftermarket steel.
* Shocks are woeful - really stiff - not so much the springs, but the shaft binds in the shock. You can take out one of the O rings which fixes the binding, but then the shocks leak. I replaced mine with Maxx shocks and light springs.
* Diff gears are weak and will turn to mush with any decent power (I was running a 3300kv motor). CPE sells hardened diff gears.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:06 am

Saito wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:37 pm
No Lipos in my house unfortunately. I'm quite stuck in the dark ages with my Nicads and NiMh batteries.

That's something you really want to address first. Everything coming to market these days seems to be intended for use with lipo power.

As for the GP, based on everything I've seen on here (see previous post lol) I'd pass on that. I'd get a wheely king first.
At this point your idea for the SMT10 looks pretty good. :mrgreen:

I stand by my original suggestion though, put wheely king tires on your CR-01 and upgrade to a 3S lipo and an esc that can run it (and a new charger).
With the swaybars the CR-01 comes with to fight the torque twist the shafties get... that becomes worse with monster tires ... I think the CR-01 would be a winner.

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Sat May 27, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Sixtys Guy! While I love the original intent for the Ground Pounder, those issues are just too much to forgive. Well andymac, I did get the CR01 on the work bench today. It looks like I'm going to have to adjust the rear axle angle. The way Tamiya instructs you to set it up puts the rear universals horribly out of phase. Not an issue at crawling speeds, but at higher speeds, the truck actually hops a bit with the driveshaft rotations. The idea does show a lot of promise though and I'm going to give it a shot before falling for the SMT10.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat May 27, 2017 2:01 am

Saito wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:07 am
Thanks for the detailed reply Sixtys Guy! While I love the original intent for the Ground Pounder, those issues are just too much to forgive.
I know there are people that have had GP's with only some of the issues I had and I my intention is not to bag our some else's truck, so no offence to anyone.... but I don't want anyone to have the experience I had.

I like the idea of the CR01!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:41 am

Not my pic... but perhaps an inspiration.... I have no idea how well it would deal with clod tires though... :shock:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat May 27, 2017 3:47 am

I like that!

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:15 am

Like i said in my post i did address the major issues with the ground pounder like the axle braces, shocks and gearing. I dont run lipos and have not experienced any gear mesh problems. My truck has a electrifly s-600 motor and has not flexed yet( knocking on wood). My daughters is a 540 sized motor & no problems either. The older pounders seemed to have more gear issues than the newer ones. My truck has upgraded shafts front and rear and daughters truck has stock shafts no problems. I agree with sixtys guy that it has issues but if you do enough research they all have some issues that need addressing. I have heard that wheely king chassis flex a whole lot so alot of people change them as well. In the end it is up to you. My experience is going to be way different than someone elses but if you set any truck up right you will enjoy running it more than fixing it.

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:18 am

one other thing to remember is that clod sized tires , brushless power and lipos are not going to be easy on any truck right out of the box...