Tamiya TXT axle durability

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
Approved Member

Tamiya TXT axle durability

Post by Saito » Sat May 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Does anybody have any experience with just how durable the internals of a TXT-1/TXT-2 Agrios are? I have both trucks, one with twin 550s and 14.4v, the other with a Castle SV2 4600 motor on 8.4v Nimh. I've never had an issue with the central transmission but the cast gears in the axles are beginning to worry me. There is a TON of slop and backlash in there. In particular, I keep slowly rounding out the semicircular hole in the MR16 drive gear, 3rd gear in, after the 2 bevel gears. I've shimmed them tightly to the shaft with shim stock and Loctite Bearing Mount adhesive but there is still slop throughout the entire axle. In extreme cases, I've seen the cast MR16 actually burst around the shaft area. I guess the pot metal gearing and sheer weight of the truck worry me.

I'm a Tamiya diehard, but I'm beginning to think I should attempt a TXT/Clod axle hybrid or give up altogether and try an SMT10. I love the TXT platform but am not sure if I'm pushing it too hard.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya TXT axle durability

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 pm

I can't say I have had too many dramas with the TXT axles. I did break the BC24 'Star Shaft'. Still not sure how that happened, but it hasn't happened since. I haven't had any problems with any of the other gears. I personally wouldn't run 4S (or 14.4v) through either of these trucks. Not saying you shouldn't just saying that I wouldn't for durability reasons. I run a 4300kv motor on 2S in my TXT-1 and a 3900kv motor on 2S in my TXT-2. The 2 is heavier and doesn't land jumps as well, hence the slower motor. If you want to take big jumps and want durability, try a Kyosho Madforce, never broken a thing on mine and they were made for 4S.

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Sun May 21, 2017 1:04 am

Glad to hear you haven't had issues with the axle. I thought turning up the punch control on the SV2 would help save the drivetrain. It actually preserved the stock driveshafts but the MR16 gear still gives me issues. Would moving to twin HPI Firebolts on 8.4v or 7.2v be less strain than the single brushless 4600 motor?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 am

Yeh definitely, but there will be a large speed drop off. I have roughly calculated Firebolts to be the equivalent of around 3300kv. My stock driveshafts didn't even handle the Firebolts!

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Mon May 22, 2017 7:14 am

i raced a modified txt for several seasons...had a castle 5700 in there, and we did large jumps and everything (off the plastic 1080 ramps)...trans and bevel gears still holding up.

i never bothered shimming anything.

used the revo driveshafts on it though.