Is RC4WD stuff any good ?

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
RCMT John
Approved Member

Is RC4WD stuff any good ?

Post by RCMT John » Sun May 14, 2017 5:00 am

When rc4wd 1st started I bought some driveshafts for my txts and they were garbage. After swearing off them for a couple years I tried them again buying some ballend links. They had a ridiculous amount of play and were garbage. I got out of the hobby for some years and I see they are bigger then ever. I gotta think their quality has improved but would like to here from others.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Is RC4WD stuff any good ?

Post by andymac0035 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:17 pm

My opinion is that they are hit-or-miss. I bought a set of tires from them for my CC-01 and one of them doesn't run very true. Their mini wheel extensions are nice, but with the advent of aftermarket 2.6" wheels you don't need to use a widener these days if you don't want to. I would say post what things they make that interest you and go from there.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Andy sums it up perfectly its hit or miss quality or cheap and nasty looking feel to their products. RC4WD is an ideal place to get internally threaded links which are either decent quality metal or " dust " like internal threading.

Severely over priced but they often have parts you cant get anywhere else so it is a honey trap I guess!
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Mon May 29, 2017 5:20 pm

oops double post :explosion:
Last edited by NorthernNightmare on Mon May 29, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Mon May 29, 2017 5:20 pm

RC4WD Parts I test that are good and bad include:

TXT-1 and 2 billet axle housings Very nice great look/strenght, fit is 95% very good the knuckles area bit tight

Punisher shafts gen 2 is "Junk" falls apart, Gen 3 is ok they are much stronger but the pins are splined and a press fit no c-clips can be a problem.

RCV axles, overall good maybe great but not perfect, one older set is more like the thunder techs more slope but bigger set scews, 2 newer set I got are tighter almost too tight in spots I did break a few on 2200kv 2s at the pins lock set scews on the newer gen units is too small

Any sort or gear reduction unit, I tryed a few back in the day rock crawling, total junk. Major warning there!

Rod ends steel ones sloppy buy usable, billet ones Junk, if the bronz pressed in bushing dint fall out they would be ok maybe.

Billet Clod wheels Very nice very heavy, also delrin still heavy but I like them.

The wheel gold adapeter are also Nice, and the older 12/14/17/19mm hubs wideners and adapeters also good

Basicly anything solid steel or billet is great or at least ok, its sad when some things are 90 percent good and have one light thing that makes them need mods to be great.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm

I've only bought a few things from them. With the Rumble tyres I found that they were a really loose fit on TXT-1 wheels. Ok as I shoe gooed them but it's weird that they were so sloppy. The B&H tyres were a little loose but ok. Everything else I have bought has been fine, so I have no complaints.