Dubbl-A's KK-2

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
dubbl-a
Approved Member

Dubbl-A's KK-2

Post by dubbl-a » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:34 am

Look what's on the workbench...

Some SWMS goodness right here! Stay tuned!
Attachments
KK-2-1.jpg
KK-2-1.jpg (174.3 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

BloodClod
Approved Member

Re: Dubbl-A's KK-2

Post by BloodClod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:40 am

Wow... I've just recently come back to the monster truck scene and am not familiar with SWMS but I'm headed over to their forum to find out more now.

Very nice chassis - what do you have planned for it?
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:24 pm

BloodClod wrote:Wow... I've just recently come back to the monster truck scene and am not familiar with SWMS but I'm headed over to their forum to find out more now.

Alright dude :) I remember your cool orange TXT-2 build on tamiyaclub for your interest BloodClod the KK-2 is designed to take TXT center gearbox without mods needed.

KK-2 is a very nice piece of kit and looks sick with TXT gearbox and axles installed in it. I think I have only seen one KK-2 with TXT trans installed so pretty rare too :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:59 am

Thanks guys, it really is a great bit of kit. It's layout keeps it open to a lot of creativity which I like.

Right now I'll be using the newer Bomber spec AR60 axles. Locked rear, open front with thick diff fluid. Just front steering for now. Aluminum SCX10 box with metal gears mated to a Tacon 3660 3000kv motor. I ran this motor in my Wraith before I went with sensored setup and it was beastly. 3s all day so i figured it will be perfect for the KK-2. Hobbywing ESC.

I have ideas for all the other details but nothing set in stone. Eventually I want a set a Freestyle RC axles...why not!
Winter project!

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:28 am

dubbl-a wrote:Thanks guys, it really is a great bit of kit. It's layout keeps it open to a lot of creativity which I like.

Right now I'll be using the newer Bomber spec AR60 axles. Locked rear, open front with thick diff fluid. Just front steering for now. Aluminum SCX10 box with metal gears mated to a Tacon 3660 3000kv motor. I ran this motor in my Wraith before I went with sensored setup and it was beastly. 3s all day so i figured it will be perfect for the KK-2. Hobbywing ESC.

I have ideas for all the other details but nothing set in stone. Eventually I want a set a Freestyle RC axles...why not!
Winter project!
thanks to you I just googled Freestyle RC axles and those are amazing!

So this chassis accepts transmissions from the clod, txt and axial? that's pretty impressive. I like the very stout looking anti-roll bars.

BloodClod

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:30 am

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:
BloodClod wrote:Wow... I've just recently come back to the monster truck scene and am not familiar with SWMS but I'm headed over to their forum to find out more now.

Alright dude :) I remember your cool orange TXT-2 build on tamiyaclub for your interest BloodClod the KK-2 is designed to take TXT center gearbox without mods needed.

KK-2 is a very nice piece of kit and looks sick with TXT gearbox and axles installed in it. I think I have only seen one KK-2 with TXT trans installed so pretty rare too :thumbsup:
lol... that was a long time ago... I hear the TXT-2 is already discontinued? :)

I still have that truck though. I wish Tamiya would design a TXT-3 and continue it's evolution.

BloodClod

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:22 pm

BloodClod wrote:
GRAVETXT-1 wrote:

lol... that was a long time ago... I hear the TXT-2 is already discontinued? :)

I still have that truck though. I wish Tamiya would design a TXT-3 and continue it's evolution.
Amen to that! :thumbsup:

Yes KK-2 out the box is set up for Clod TXT & Axial 8)

And yes TXT-2 is discontinued. NIB and even used examples (which never appear) cost a fortune I lucked out recently and got one from Germany only reason I got a decent deal is because I think they had it in stock for ages and forgot to put the price up!
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Some progress. :)

Axles mounted up with relative ease. I had a bunch Emaxx shocks not doing anything so I tried the dual shock setup. I like the looks but its really stiff and I'll probably need to source some softer springs.
Also, I tossed on the 2.2 Mud Bashers for fun.

Cheers!
Attachments
KK-2-2.jpg
KK-2-2.jpg (190.74 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
KK-2-3.jpg
KK-2-3.jpg (194.98 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 pm

That is sick looking and man do I want those tires! :shock: 8) Those are what I am getting for my Clod Shafty build...
Jeff

SWMS
Business Member

Post by SWMS » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Very nice surprise to see a build thread with a KK2.

I haven't been on the forums much and it's awesome to see some action. Keep the pics coming!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:29 pm

@SFC K:
Thanks! You'll love the Mud Basher 2.2's. They're bigger than you think! Can't wait to see them on your Clod Shafty... :)

@SWMS:
I'll make sure this chassis gets plenty of exposure!
Thanks for your help!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:36 pm

A little more progress.

My shock "stiffness" wasn't just from the Emaxx springs. Apparently, having 8 oil filled shocks created a TON of dampening. Emptied the dummy shocks and found some old, lighter springs and voila. Can't wait to test it out.
Attachments
KK-2-5.jpg
KK-2-5.jpg (195.24 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
KK-2-4.jpg
KK-2-4.jpg (173 KiB) Viewed 1746 times

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:53 pm

A few more photos for fun. :)

Now...where to mount the electronics?
Attachments
KK-2-6.jpg
KK-2-6.jpg (170.43 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
KK-2-7.jpg
KK-2-7.jpg (175.07 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
KK-2-8.jpg
KK-2-8.jpg (186.31 KiB) Viewed 1746 times

SWMS
Business Member

Post by SWMS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Definitely don't run oil in the dummy shock. All you need is a light coating of oil. You can also open up the holes of the piston in the real shock to help with oil flow.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:02 am

That is the one thing I hate about the Traxxas shocks is they provide too much dampening in dual shock set ups. They are just too stiff out of the box. I had them set-up on a stock Clod and had to finally remove one from each corner. I have found the Gmade shocks are good choice for dual shocks set-ups even with the springs on both. They are way softer than the Big bores, and look better too.
dubbl-a wrote:@SFC K:
Thanks! You'll love the Mud Basher 2.2's. They're bigger than you think! Can't wait to see them on your Clod Shafty... :)
I cant wait as well. :) Finding the right rims is what is killing me. :(
Jeff