Shaft drive Clod?

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Administrator

Shaft drive Clod?

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:57 am

:mrgreen: Yup, that is right folks! I am converting a Clod tub chassis into a center mounted trans and with G-Made R1 axles. I have modified the tub already to fit the G-Made Transmission. Axles will be 4 linked using a CPE Aluminum Chassis brace drilled to hold the transmission.

Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Shaft drive Clod?

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:16 am

Awesome! Different, I like it! I have always been intrigued by those axles. Keeping a Clod body?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:33 am

Sixtys Guy wrote:Awesome! Different, I like it! I have always been intrigued by those axles. Keeping a Clod body?
They are different. and I like how they have the portals built into them creating more clearance. I thought abut doing a Clod body, but these axles are so wide, it might look funny even with fender flares. I need to find someone with a Bullhead body that can measure the width from fender to fender.

Maybe I could find a Blazer body for cheap, as the width is much wider than the Clod body. :?:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:10 am

The Bronco body for the Acender drops right on that tub! I test fitted one to a stock clod once and the wheel base looked spot-on.
Looking at your layout, I'm surprised you didn't reverse the transmission to put the drive shafts on the same side that the old steering linkage was on.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:33 am

andymac0035 wrote:The Bronco body for the Acender drops right on that tub! I test fitted one to a stock clod once and the wheel base looked spot-on.
Looking at your layout, I'm surprised you didn't reverse the transmission to put the drive shafts on the same side that the old steering linkage was on.

The old Steering linkage cut outs were not wide enough for the centered output for the axles. Also, I wanted the motor to face forward and it needs the clearance to fit. I still have to cut away a bit more to get a brushless set-up to fit. I'm still not completely sold on this Transmission yet either. It may be swapped for a SCX-10 trans...
Jeff

KONG
Approved Member

Post by KONG » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 pm

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 am

Its funny I considered doing something like this a while back but then thought it a bit crazy... go Jeff! 8) :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:12 pm

I got a ton of work done over the weekend. I will update this tonight with some pictures. :)
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:06 am

Its a roller. Working on mating a SCX-10 Transmission now and for the first fitment test with a brushless system, its going to work perfect! I just need to mount the plate to the bottom of the stock Clod chassis now and get slightly longer drive shafts. I shortened one of mine a while ago when using DIG on my old Comp crawler.

For the links, I ended up keeping the links in line and installed custom pan hard bars to keep the axles centered underneath. Using a center mounted transmission does not allow much room for a traditional triangulated 4 link set-up. Shocks are Traxxas big bores, with some spare silver springs I had laying around. The stock red ones were to stiff and the front is shorter in length.

Next, I pulled out a body I had laying around. :mrgreen: Looks good, don't it? :mrgreen:

Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:09 am

=D> :thumbsup: =D>
I am liking how this is turning out! :popcorn:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:55 am

Tough looking truck!

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Impressive! 8)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:20 pm

THis is cool, mix and match and using the spine from the original bad Halgars trucks are cooler than mine monster truck itself! Should be a good working and looking combination in the end.
Monster trucks rule :)

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:00 pm

I got some more work done it. Drive shafts are in. I got some spares from a friend for an SCX-10. Had to modify one a little as it was too long. Body is now painted and detailed.

I still need to get a TX/RX and servo for it to be a runner and mount the body. I am still looking for Tire and rim combo for it. I think I will settle for GMade black 2.2 beadlock rims, and RC4WD Tractor tires for it.

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 pm

I forgot to mention earlier, when using the SCX-10 transmission, a AX-10 crawler skid plate fits perfectly in-between the stock chassis for mounting the transmission.
Jeff