T_Tanks mrc mmt prototype!

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
T_Tank

Re: T_Tanks mrc mmt prototype!

Post by T_Tank » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:08 pm

I've got a bad case of ADD right now while trying to think of some solutions to behind the axle mounted servo so its more hidden but this morning threw this together its for the stock tlt-1 tires.

Offset from the hex to the rear outer rim is 19.7 I don't have a depth micrometer anyone able to give me a more accurate measurment?

also it takes 2 m2x6mm long screws to hold the "planetary" over the wheel nut and the inner dia of the "planetary" is 10.75 should give enough room for a wheel wrench.
--------------------------------------------
If first you don't succeed.. redesign it! an make it succeed!

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:03 am

Little bit of a birthday romp around

[youtube]mhbXcdJpRQ8[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Nice work on the wheel! I actually would like it to have more offset so if you could work that into it, that would be sweet instead of the stock offset. :wink:

Nice video! I did not see any jumps though. Does it jump well?
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:08 pm

With the mini t trans it's just a hair slow to get big air but the few times I've ran the 540 it flies rather level despite the rear weight.

Now with the stock shocks and no sway bar I was goofing around by some cement wash out areas and it was going full speed with the suspension going full travel and flex keeping the truck even more surprising level XD.

I can make a set of wheels with a better offset have one in mind?

Once the new chub and knuckles come in I'll get some more video footage!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm using 12mm offset adapters on my axles with the stock TLT wheels. They seem to be just from for my application. Might even be able to get away with 10mm offset as well.
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Ah got cha. Do you have by chance a accurate way to measure the stock wheels backspacing? From the rear tire flange to the face of inner face of the wheel hex location.

I'm thinking either a 16.5 or 14mm backspace which would do similar with a spacer.

Atm i'm actually running 11mm hexes so in theory the 16.5mm backspace variant would give me a width of around 220mm.

Anyways if ya give me a track width your aiming for I can see what I can put together doesn't take to long in tinkercad to do something simple like this :thumbsup:

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:28 pm

So a look at the new Chub knuckles for the mmt I need to do a minor design tweak so 3mm screws can be used over the PITA mrc ones that at this size just love to scrip easily >.< And add a indentation for where link mount screws (or shock mount with integra axle) go so they don't push the chub around.

Things are slowing down right now but i'm debating on putting the chassis open on beta so you'll just need to provide a mrc/slick rock as a donor an use your own mrc trans plate or 1/16 traxxas trans combo. This will also help me with hugely with feedback an also just getting more of these out there was at the cactus classic last week an some racers saw it an were seaming really thrilled about the truck.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Those look nice. Did you glue two hexes together to push the wheels out further? Suggestion, it appears you have a lot of room on the backside of the hub. You could increase the diameter size of the bearing on the back side to help dissipate heat and the bearings will last longer.

I think you should open up the rest of your parts on Shape ways. I could see some more potential builders of your creation in the future. :wink:

On another note, looking forward to getting my hands on that trans mount.
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:40 am

Yeah I did glue the hexes together their about 11m thick or so. I could put larger bearing in I do need to revise the design some so I'll look into bigger bearings!

I'll go ahead an put it up as beta for the few that one to give theirs a whirl just need to figure out a good way for folks to get all the

m2x12mm screws x.x I actually used a VTR215001 from the slickrock that pretty much had enough screws for putting the chassis all together.

Axles i'm still beating up on I actually managed to rip a shock off the ball stud on the chassis (chassis fine shock ball socket on the body ripped) an the shock mount on the axle, now mind you this was a earlier variant with stock mrc looking mounting tabs the newest has more rounded thicker suspension mounts.

Havent' actually manged to break a chassis yet come to think of it everything below the chassis has had issues XD

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 pm

New chassis has arrived with a 3.5 version of the axle to test out on the rear. definitely more room in the chassis now able to put the glitch buster an receiver in the nose section and have more room for the esc and batteries to be actually set in place and not zip tied!
new in bag
blurry side by side of the old an new as you can see the new chassis is just a bit taller
swap complete the batteries are actually sitting on the mrc trans skid so least I have a good idea of how to make a battery box now!
everything fits a whole lot nicer
shot of the experimental v3.5 axle which flips the pumpkin 90o though installing the pinion bearing is a little tricky but doable

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Looking great! I like the style of the new chassis versus the old!
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:25 am

Its amazing what about 12mm raising the segment of the chassis up really helps make the truck look so much better now as soon as my m3D fixed I can start prototyping bits an pieces for a battery box.

It may sound odd but i'm using 2 1cell turnigy graphine 800mah lipos in this truck in series and its made it so much easier to figure space for them an the esc compared to trying to jam a larger battery way high up in the truck an messing with the COG

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:41 pm

So I've gotten slightly side tracked since I got the mmt v2 chassis put together though I might have a good excuse! over christmas I got a m3d micro 3d printer, groovy little thing that can print in a near 100x100x100mm cube so I've been messing around with that!

So... this is something...

Hopefully friday afternoon i can get some more panels printed out waiting on a replacement nozzle >.<!
The plan is to eventually once I get this all printed an smoothed out is maybe make a positive for a little more lightweight durable body. Its a pre existing slt of a samurai body on thingverse but with the more traditional older style grill I made to fit and its printed out in m3d's carbon fiber filament hallow thick walls with varying detail settings some parts are sliced so I could fit it into the printer volume.

So what you guys think? Ya or na?

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Impressive! I like the wide wheel arches and the round headlights... I say go for it :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Micro update for anyone on clodtalk but got one of my prototype replacement rims in for the tlt-1 tires on my little mmt I think it turned out great besides the front cvd threading being to long so I can't use the cover but the rear is no issue.

Wheels have 16.5mm backspacing so they also sit a little wider then the stock tlt-1 wheels