T_Tanks mrc mmt prototype!

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
T_Tank

T_Tanks mrc mmt prototype!

Post by T_Tank » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:01 pm

I've got this little bugger on a couple of other forums but a guy can always use more feedback!

Anyways it all started with a rather crude drawing after seeing a few mrc around the Web with mt tires. Think im2tall was the first to get his actually together more than others :thumbsup:

So here was the concept drawing that started my journey

Yup you read that one note right this thing was to be designed around a 1/16 Traxxas vxl trans and a massive 540 motor!! I figured monster trucks have insane amount of power so why in Sam hill can't a 1/18 mt be the same!

That lead me to work on axles and already made c-hubs for the mrc to make it a little stronger and a little better. Axles that let me flip the ring and pinion to negate some torque twist. C-hubs with king pin inclination to help steer those tlt-1 tires/wheels.

I'll try to keep this from getting to long winded no promises though!

So here is a early render of the truck in tinker cad (I'm to cheap for a better cad program)..

The chassis by the way came out really good for a first run its taken so much time to get this little guy into the physical world

A picture of the first parts on a mrc scaler to see how they help up well they passed!... Mostly later on I'd find out the axle couldn't survive landing from jumps!

But to continue on this story I was able to finally get the chassis printed! (probably forgot to mention I use shapeways to bring my designs to the material related!)

It is same width at the trans mount as the mrc and uses the same bolt pattern :wink:

Fast forward a couple weeks and taking my mrc scaler apart for a donor and we get this!!

Wait a minute that's not a vxl trans!?
Remember how I said it has the same bolt pattern and width of the mrc chassis? This truck is setup to be a drag and drop conversion for your mini crawler!!!

So I broke down and put some mounting holes in my mini lst body dag gummit I think Im onto something!

So after breaking the custom axle I ended up designing a new one hopefully it's stronger!
This has mostly stock mrc link shock mount geometry so once again drag and drop if ya get my theme with this truck.

And now the axle as of a few days ago

And that's all so far I could go into more detail bit I'll let yall ask me some questions and any feedback.
I do plan on having this chassis and axle available for folks down the line on shapeways!

Sorry about the long opening post and lots of photos!!
--------------------------------------------
If first you don't succeed.. redesign it! an make it succeed!

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Re: T_Tanks mrc mmt prototype!

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:10 pm

:shock: Freakin' amazing man! looks like a TLT killer!
Monster trucks rule :)

SWMS
Business Member

Post by SWMS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:18 pm

I've been following your build on RCMT and I love this thing. Really freaking cool to see you design and follow through. Keep it coming.

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Hehe thanks guys!
To be fair the tlt-1 felt more like a 1/16-1/14 scale but it's wheels (which I'm using) are perfect scale for 1/18.

The truck by the way has close to the same wheel base length as the mini lst and is almost as wide as its long.

Currently trying to figure out how to hide a micro servo behind the axle without getting in the way of anything to allow for more scale look.

Any suggestions?

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:08 am

rather embarrassing driving but a video none of the less!

Thanks mod for fixing the vid!

[youtube]SyRq_vJO9j8[/youtube]
Last edited by T_Tank on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWMS
Business Member

Post by SWMS » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:29 am

Oh man. That thing is so cool!

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Utterly adorable. Chassis is a work of art. Love the torque twist! Reminds me of my Kings Bounty build when I stuck a full TXT-2 trans into Wheely King chassis plates. Maybe you should do a small production run and sell some chassis's :P
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Yeah it twists a bit with the big motor/trans in I still need to get some mrc wb8 style tunes printed to better test the mrc/mini t trans option which initial test with the mini trans is almost no torque twist with a 18.5 novak three 80.

There is a second revision of the side sections I'm saving up to get printed next with a few tweaks to shock geometry

Actually final plan is to have the chassis axles and a few other parts available through shapeways!

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:13 am

So fiddling around some on this in the background but here is a variant of the MMT axle I call integra.
Which has the upper link mounts integrated, only thing I kept separated is the C-hubs which shown in the picture are some heavier duty style ones which... are likely over kill

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:25 am

This is pretty cool! I'd be interested in that trans mount for the 1/16th Trans for my MRC build! I love your dedication to this little truck! 8)

I fixed your video as well. THAT TRUCK IS FAST!
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:16 am

Well did a minor change to the vxl mount its two parts now the little center rungs were actually in the way of the shafts so should work even better and mounting it to the trans makes it rock solid.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 am

T_Tank wrote:Well did a minor change to the vxl mount its two parts now the little center rungs were actually in the way of the shafts so should work even better and mounting it to teh trans makes it rock solid.
Good to know! I just ordered one. It took a while to find it but I did. :wink:

I love this build, keep up the great work!
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:25 am

Thanks for the support man it does use the stock mrc plate mount pattern so should be a easy install and the trans sits pretty much flush.

What size motor you gonna use wiht the vxl trans 540 or the 380?

Oh an you think the truck is fast in that vid I've had a 9.5t motor in that truck! That is so much top end the diff holds out surprisingly with that the locker on the other hand... it rounded out o.o

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I will be using the 550 size motor mount on mine. It has been sitting because I have been waiting for a trans mount so I can use this on my build. Things are looking up now. :wink:

Thanks!
Jeff

T_Tank

Post by T_Tank » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Well that shall be madness I've used a 4.5t 550 before with this trans but not in this truck.