Barbarian Chassis Carnage

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
87lc2
Approved Member

Barbarian Chassis Carnage

Post by 87lc2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Finally got the bugs sorted in my Digger Barbarian and was having a blast running it in the yard, truck was working great. Halfway through the second battery pack I hit a jump awkwardly and the right rear wheel hit the corner of my shed. As soon as I hit the throttle I knew something was wrong, but was not expecting this.

The entire chassis is tweaked and broke the upper 4 link bars in the rear. Right rear wheel wont even touch the ground when sitting level. Going to have to get an entire new chassis, doubt I can repair this one. Its just bent in too many places.
Attachments
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG (95.45 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG (97.96 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG (91.98 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG (92.5 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG (87.36 KiB) Viewed 1822 times

DarkSammy
Approved Member

Re: Barbarian Chassis Carnage

Post by DarkSammy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Ouch, but as they say, go big or go home haha. Great looking truck tho. Is it repairable? Or new chassis time?
TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, Gorillamaxx G4, Gorillamaxx G1, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, DUH Engineering Titan.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:08 am

:shock: That must have been a hard hit! I feel really bad for you. :(
Jeff

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:29 am

Definitely a new chassis. Ill tear it down and give it a look, but its bent in about 3 different directions unfortunately. Shame is Ill have it get it all powder coated again.

It was a really hard hit, all on the right rear tire. Im shocked the axle is still in once piece. Glad I added the aluminum parts when I did.

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:28 am

Holy crap! :shock: that's a bummer but awesome at the same time! If it's not mangled you didn't have fun lol.

Pretty sure Brett has a promotion going on right now so it could save you a couple bucks at least
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

SWMS
Business Member

Post by SWMS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:45 am

Wow!!!

That's one heck of a hit.

Skinner
Approved Member

Post by Skinner » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 am

Whoa must've been heck of a jump!!
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:02 am

Hope you don't mind but I posted a link on Facebook for the shafty guys to see your carnage. Couple of them had good ideas. One would be to take the truck completely apart and see if screws ect are binding anything from falling back into place. Next would be to take the chassis and put it in the oven and heat it and should go back in place.
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:09 pm

1Badclod85 wrote:Hope you don't mind but I posted a link on Facebook for the shafty guys to see your carnage. Couple of them had good ideas. One would be to take the truck completely apart and see if screws ect are binding anything from falling back into place. Next would be to take the chassis and put it in the oven and heat it and should go back in place.

Dont mind at all. Ill definitely see what it looks like once I get the chassis plates separated and try to repair, but we'll see. Thats a good thought, maybe some of the cross bracing is bent and once removed the plates will take proper shape again. The oven idea sounds good also, but wonder if it will weaken the aluminum heating and bending back into place.

I probably wont work on it for a bit as I didnt plan on using it much over the winter anyway and have some other projects I want to get done. Once I get it apart Ill be sure to post back with photos of the bare chassis and to see if it can be repaired. Im just really shocked that the chassis bent like that and pretty much all other parts are OK - shocks, sway bars, axle housing, etc.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Sad to see must have been a huge impact to bend 3mm thick plates like that. Looks like a mark 1 golf gti cocking a leg now :P

Once you get new chassis plates barbarian-x time... :popcorn:

I know I keep mentioning it lol
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:55 pm

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:Sad to see must have been a huge impact to bend 3mm thick plates like that. Looks like a mark 1 golf gti cocking a leg now :P

Once you get new chassis plates barbarian-x time... :popcorn:

I know I keep mentioning it lol

Funny you mention that, my brother in law is a VW guy and he said the same thing!

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 pm

I did some similar damage to my Ground Pounder chassis Clod. I rolled it into a ditch that contained a tree :oops: The plates were mangled but easily straightened once disassembled. A little heat and a rubber mallet to do the majority then a body hammer and dolly to fine tune the problem areas. If the powder coat is quality then there should be minimal damage to it.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:17 pm

:explosion: Nicely done sir! =D>

Seriously though, I think some "X" bracing would do that chassis a lot of good. Most of the TVP chassis designs I see out there for solid axle trucks just doesn't seem to have the reinforcement to hang together after and decent crash, and that's just the way it is,

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 pm

andymac0035 wrote: :explosion: Nicely done sir! =D>

Seriously though, I think some "X" bracing would do that chassis a lot of good. Most of the TVP chassis designs I see out there for solid axle trucks just doesn't seem to have the reinforcement to hang together after and decent crash, and that's just the way it is,

Haha, thanks! I agree, X bracing like the full scale tube trucks would do wonders in situations like this.

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:18 pm

andymac0035 wrote::explosion: Nicely done sir! =D>

Holy Cow!! You know if you've impressed this guy with your carnage you've done something. =D> =D> =D>
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.