Dubbl-A's Wraith

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
dubbl-a
Approved Member

Re: Dubbl-A's Wraith

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:01 am

While I'm waiting for the new clod adapter to arrive, I decided to mess around a bit. I've seen others flip around the lower shock/link mount to lower the Wraith so I figured I'd try it. I'm happy with the results as it lowered it more so than I thought. (free mod :) ) This also placed my rear sway bars at a much better angle than before. Its already stable with the clod tires but I bet now it'll be even more so with the lower center of gravity.
Attachments
Wraith-11.jpg
Wraith-11.jpg (198.87 KiB) Viewed 2561 times

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:23 am

Since I had some time tonight I'd see if I could fit a larger pinion. So out with the 16t and in with the 20t. :thumbsup:
Well, after a lot of grinding and persuading #-o the 20t finally fit. It was so big I had to grind down the gear cover so the pinion would clear. Mesh is a tad tight but everything rotates smoothly with no tightness or binding. Took to out for a quick test drive tonight (about midnight in PA) and all seems well. Top end is awesome, temps seem good and the torque is more manageable at speed but still only 2s... :wink:
Attachments
Wraith-10.jpg
Wraith-10.jpg (195.6 KiB) Viewed 2560 times

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:33 am

Whoops. I knew this was going to happen eventually...
This made a real mess in the transmission. :(

Also, the 20t pinion (32p w/ 54t Spur) is just too big to run with clod tires. The top end is awesome but it puts ton of load on the drivetrain and electronics with a heavy trigger finger and the temps were just getting too high. I had to pry apart the clutch plates as the pad kind of fused them together...well, what was left of the pad.
Attachments
Wraith-12.jpg
Wraith-12.jpg (195.08 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Had a little fun ripping around with the Wraith and got a little jumping action on video. :P

[youtube]14Q-HGIogCE[/youtube]

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Nice Wraith - I'm 85% complete on my FOFF build (waiting on some longer motor wires of all things !).

As you've discovered you need the metal tranny gears (I went with Hot Racing), and maybe the metal Robinson slipper spur.

I opted for Junfac driveshafts - they are a good fit, and they reduce the axle pinion gear movement to near zero. I went with the HPI bevel gears in the front diff, with Tamiya anti wear grease for a little resistance. Oh and VP stage 1 kit, and VP Ti links (yeah, I got carried away again !)

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:30 pm

I had ended up breaking an output on mine. The gears inside were fine, but I upgraded to the Robinson racing output gear. I would consider one as well if you have not swapped out the plastic gears yet and get all metal to replace the other two. I use MIP drive shafts on my Barbarian(ax-10 drive train) truck.
Jeff

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:35 am

I installed one of these, and with all steel gears in the trans now, no problems. 8)
I have some cheap ebay steel driveshafts and they're holding up but they're all held together with set/grub screws that have little to no thread locker on them (so I found out) and my front shaft flew into pieces like 4 times and before I could get everything properly thread locked I lost the inside shaft in the yard somewhere :evil: and had to install the stocker. I should've just got the JunFac's I was looking at. But the rear is holding up just fine so far!
Attachments
Wraith-13.jpg
Wraith-13.jpg (179.16 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Robinson Racing makes some really nice parts that last. You should be set now. :wink:
Jeff

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:00 pm

[youtube]zptQLYvyrO8[/youtube]

The fun doesn't have to stop when the sun goes down. :thumbsup:

I got a little footage while playing around on the pavement. The vid is a bit dark at times but you get the idea... :wink:

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:29 am

That looks like its a blast to drive!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 am

Yeah, it's a lot of fun!
Snow is suposed to fall tomorrow so I can't wait to see how it does in the white stuff!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:12 pm

The Wraith next to the Stampede I'm working on.
What a size difference!
Attachments
Wraith-Stampede.jpg
Wraith-Stampede.jpg (209.18 KiB) Viewed 2309 times

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:34 pm

I would not have guessed it being that much smaller! :shock: Even with the 2.2 wheels the Wraith normally wears is still bigger.
Jeff

Skinner
Approved Member

Post by Skinner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Nice build ! Like way ya dropped stance down and used clod tires . Now ya need a wild willys driver in seat :)
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:39 am

Thanks!
Yea, the little bit of drop with the clod wheels/ tires works really well with the wraith. (I actually narrowed the clod wheels...I'll have to post some updated photos)
Good call on the Wild Willys Driver but I seem to never get around to installing the interior...