SCX-10 TR Honcho

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: SCX-10 TR Honcho

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 pm

SFC K wrote:It does Greg! Only changes were 4 link kit with all aluminum rods for linkage. The plastic stuff had to go.
Why? :?:

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:17 pm

SFC K wrote:It does Greg! I get some great run time out of it too. Almost an hour on my Nanotech 5700mah 2s lipo. Gearing is all stock 87t spur and a 14t pinion and is all original. Jeez, the whole drive line is all stock. Only changes were 4 link kit with all aluminum rods for linkage. The plastic stuff had to go.

You looking to get one?
I've been looking at the on and off for a while, would be fun in the summer, either that or a mini revo.
andymac0035 wrote:
SFC K wrote:It does Greg! Only changes were 4 link kit with all aluminum rods for linkage. The plastic stuff had to go.
To gooder it up :mrgreen:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:20 pm

I guess I'm the odd-man-out then... I only do stuff like that if the plastic parts are failing.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:06 am

andymac0035 wrote:

The plastic stuff were the weak links right out the gate and you cannot run 4 link with out going with aluminum links to tie it all in place. You also get better articulation with the 4 link versus the three link. I left the stock drive shafts alone and the stock servo alone. I am really surprised none of them have broke yet. This truck is pretty tough.
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun May 10, 2015 4:10 pm

My friend and I went out and beat the crap out of SCX-10s yesterday at a local spot in Stillwater, MN. This area is great as it has logs, rocks, sand, water, and tons of hill climbs to challenge us to the fullest. My friend John just bought his SCX-10 ram version so this was his first run with it. Unfortunately our time was cut short. I burned through one lipo pack( About 45 minutes or so)and put in a second pack but it only lasted about 10 minutes. I had steering but the ESC would run for about 10 seconds and cut out. I think my batteries are toast.

Over all it was a blast. We had a bunch of kids following us at one point asking all kinds of questions and wanting to drive our rigs; we never gave in, lol! Finally they just gave up and left us alone. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun May 10, 2015 4:11 pm

My friend and I went out and beat the crap out of SCX-10s yesterday at a local spot in Stillwater, MN. This area is great as it has logs, rocks, sand, water, and tons of hill climbs to challenge us to the fullest. My friend John just bought his SCX-10 Ram version so this was his first run with it. Unfortunately our time was cut short. I burned through one lipo pack( About 60 minutes or so)and put in a second pack but it only lasted about 10 minutes. I had steering but the ESC would run for about 10 seconds and cut out. I think my batteries are toast.

Over all it was a blast. We had a bunch of kids following us at one point asking all kinds of questions and wanting to drive our rigs; we never gave in, lol! Finally they just gave up and left us alone. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:15 am

Man, it has bee a while since I posted here. I went to my friends house a couple weekends ago and we ran out crawlers in his garage. He has been building all different kinds of obstacles for us to try out. Here are some pictures from the event. Only thing that broke: Lost a 6mm cap head screw off the spur gear. The other two were wobbly as well. Not sure how long it has been that way, but it happened right when were going to quit anyways. Checked my parts bin and did not have a single spare in my parts box.

Any way, I had a hard time with my stock Flat Irons, so John let me have a set of stock Maxxis' tires and the extra 1/2" in height helped with clearance and paid dividends on his home made obstacles. It was a lot of fun. We even tried a time run going up and down and back across the bench, but wouldn't you know it. As soon as we did that the very first obstacle took over a minute for both of us to even get up and onto it. We finally figured out the quick Crete cement was wearing away at the bottom leaving slippery situations. We screwed a 1" round branch to the bottom and it helped a bunch.

On with the pictures...

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:18 am

Jeff

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:35 am

Great indoor run. With the right tire choice, you will have a ton of grip for that course.

I finally bought an SCX10 Rubicon, built it and the stock tires are not that bad at all. Trepador? Something like that.

I really need to run my trucks more. Looks like fun Jeff.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks Dave! Yeah, these tires are the Maxxis Treps too. They grip fine and are taller than the Flat Irons, but they are glued to the rim so you can't add any weight. I was thinking of ungluing them and mounting them on bead lock rims. Not sure if I want to do that right now. I have a bead on another set of tires I'd like to get for my rig.

These courses are fun, and a great way to keep your skills up during the winter months. Only issue is finding a place to store all of the obstacles when you are done. :lol:
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 am

Cool indoor track Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks Mark!
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:54 am

A much needed update to the Honcho body. I saw that Pro-Line released a new cab which is a direct replacement for the Honcho and retains the bed/roll cage in the back, and who can't resist a Ford F100? :mrgreen:

I cut off most of the excess molding to get an idea how it will look when finished. I couldn't leave the stock bumper on it and picked up an aluminum bumper kit with shackles and lights. It also doubles as a winch mount. I have been sitting on a winch for some time, so now it will find it's home mounted on my SCX-10. 8) I had to cut off the bumper mounts a tad as they were too long and I could put the bumper towards the front of the body.

I also hated my steering radius the last time I had it out, so I ordered Axial CVDs, RC4WD HS knuckles and CHUBS. Still waiting the CHUBS to show up...

Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:39 am

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the new body painted up. :popcorn:

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:39 am

Thats gonna look very nice Jeff! Not a Ford guy at all, but do like the looks of the older ones.

Hope to see this one in person soon.