SCX-10 TR Honcho

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Administrator

Axial SCX-10 Trail Honcho

Post by SFC K » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Thought I'd share my ride I have been tinkering on. I did buy the RTR version with all plastic links. alread swaped them out for aluminum links and added 4 link trusses to the front and rear axles. I also added some wheel wells for the front. Just replaced the stock radio gear for 2.4ghz so I could ommit the antenea from sticking out of the hood. I also added extra lights and moved the esc to a better location on the chassis.

These are fun to drive and the sky is the limit as to scale accesories for them.

Here are some pics.

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Axial SCX-10 Trail Honcho

Post by SFC K » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:13 pm

And here is a picture of it next to my Comp Crawler to see how big this is.

Jeff

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Looks Good :wink:

I like the spare tire mount on those.

What did you use to make the wheel wells?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:25 pm

I used the CD-R clear plastic cover that holds the blank CD's. It worked perfect and was the right diameter. Once I was happy with the shape I scuffed them and painted flat black.
Jeff

FlashGordon1
Approved Member

Post by FlashGordon1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:45 pm

It looks very nice Jeff! Did you made the links?
SOLID AXLE SHAFT MONSTER TRUCK'S
http://www.facebook.com/groups/228629583892520/

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm

flashgordon1 wrote:It looks very nice Jeff! Did you made the links?
no, I bought the kit from Axial that replaces all the stock plastic links. Well worth it. I should have bought the kit version but it does not come with all the extra parts and 4 link trusses.
Jeff

vonclod
Approved Member

Post by vonclod » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:53 am

cool man, they are awsome trucks 8)
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

SuperClod2010
Approved Member

Post by SuperClod2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:38 am

Very nice truck indeed.

B
Live Life Likes Its Your Last Day Every Day!

Rcmaniac78
Approved Member

Post by Rcmaniac78 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Very nice truck I got the same one :) but mine came with nothing I had a 2.4 radio so I put it in and I put in a venom fireball motor 55t for now my question is what motor and speed control do you use? :) also our paint jobs are almost the same lol I have a lighter metallic green and my back is all black, I want to put lights in it as well but one step at a time lol pics coming soon of mine :) but if you could give me hints on what to use that would be great! mine cost 275 bucks but I think it's because it didn't come with anything motor radio servo wise but it did come with the alum links and other non plastic items :)
Wait what?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:45 am

Rcmaniac78 wrote:Very nice truck I got the same one :) but mine came with nothing I had a 2.4 radio so I put it in and I put in a venom fireball motor 55t for now my question is what motor and speed control do you use? :) also our paint jobs are almost the same lol I have a lighter metallic green and my back is all black, I want to put lights in it as well but one step at a time lol pics coming soon of mine :) but if you could give me hints on what to use that would be great! mine cost 275 bucks but I think it's because it didn't come with anything motor radio servo wise but it did come with the alum links and other non plastic items :)
Mine was the RTR or TR version. I had to purchase the links seperately so I could use the 4 link trusses front and rear. It comes with the stock AX ESC and motor which have to go. More so the ESC. It will cut out on me when I load up the tranny with to much torque. I'm going to get the Holmes ( http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?pr ... t=0&page=1 ) ESC that is water proof. I will keep the same motor for now. It has the right speed and lower end grunt needed for steep hill climbs and such.

Next will be the stock AX servo. It is ok but lacks the hold power you need for a Crawler base truck. I did swap out the receiver too for a 2.4 GHZ so I could use my current radio system.
Last edited by SFC K on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:52 am

Nice scaler!

I always wanted to build a nice scaler but I'm working on my patience by doing some 1/35 military models. Once I think I have the patience I'll go for it.

TomT
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 am

TomT wrote:Nice scaler!

I always wanted to build a nice scaler but I'm working on my patience by doing some 1/35 military models. Once I think I have the patience I'll go for it.

TomT

It is fun and I like to scratch build/make it my own. I really need to get back into modeling. Maybe this winter I will break out the glue and airbrush.
Jeff

Rcmaniac78
Approved Member

Post by Rcmaniac78 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 am

yeah I love mine I just put in a 550 21t monster motor hehe here is a link to my build thread and I posted some vids!!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265386
Wait what?

SFC K
Administrator

SCX-10 TR Honcho

Post by SFC K » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 pm

I thought I'd share some photos of my SCX-10 Honcho RTR. Seems interest in Scale trucks has been sparked.

So far to date I have upgraded the TX/RX to 2.4GHZ.
I also added a new mount that I made for the ESC; too get it lower on the chassis.
I also converted the stock plastic 3 link to 4 link trusses front and rear.
A ton of weight to the wheels, this helped for CG and traction issues.
The stock shocks seemed a little on the soft side. I added internal springs to each one of the stock shocks for better shock travel support for the heavy rig.
I also added some more lighting for some night time driving.
I made some front wheel wells for the honcho body out of old clear CD holder covers. These were a pain as you have to measure each side separate. It took 4 covers to get the right shape. Over all I think they look great and ad to the scale look.
Lastly I added some Vanquish aluminum shock hoops. They stiffened up the body mounting locations and look trick too. No need for cross braces with these. I did have to strip the anodizing off as they were two different colors (Blue and Orange) when I got them. Now they are silver.

Jeff

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Re: SCX-10 TR Honcho

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:08 am

Looks good Jeff :D

I like the lights.

Are those Super Swampers on the one next to yours?

Any issues with rocks/dirt getting in the spur & pinion gears?