ironcorn's TXT-2

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
ironcorn
Approved Member

Re: ironcorn's TXT-2

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:18 am

Tamiya makes a nice chrome plated ball stud that has more reach than the ones that come with the kit, which I think are too short. I used these with some Tamiya spacers to move the lower end of the shocks out a few mm. Stock the shocks angle in, now they are straight up and down. I like the Tamiya reservoir shocks, mostly for the looks, but the shocks work fine though. I had read several negative reviews on them on different forums; I think the stock springs might be to blame, they are too soft. I binned them from the start and used Team AE springs, part 6481.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
IMG_5648.JPG
Last edited by ironcorn on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:25 am

I used rubber shielded bearings on the trans output shafts rather then the metal shielded bearings that came with the kit (same for the axle output shafts). Figured it would keep dirt out better. Got them from Avid bearings, my normal go to source for bearings.
Attachments
IMG_5616.JPG
Last edited by ironcorn on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:32 am

Something else I do with all my builds, I never use the self tapping screws. I tap everything for machine screws. Tamiya makes some nice hex and cross head screws which I used to replace every self tapping screw in the kit (a ton of screws!). I normally use stainless or 12.9, but went with Tamiya fasteners for this build.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:39 am

I was curious on the weight of the TTR CVD over the stock axle. They weigh a touch more, but not too much of a penalty for the awesomeness of the CVD.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:13 am

I threw the stock TXT-2 tires and wheels on the scale. The wheels are a little heavier than Clod or TXT-1 wheels, but the tire is very light, making for a light weight tire/wheel combo. I'm mixed on the look, I like them, but the Clod tire is just better.
Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled.jpg

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:38 am

I have 10 2S packs through the truck so far. The Mamba X is awesome! I'm using a Traxxas water proof receiver box, but with the Castle Quick Connect Duo I can plug into the ESC for data logging and tweaks. The single Castle 3800kv is more than enough motor. I'm using a 16T Robinson pinion and it moves out on 2S lipo. I have everything dialed down in the ESC (otherwise it's instant back bumper wheelies with the smallest throttle input) and it still rips. Top speed is 40% higher than a stock Clod (eyeball guesstimate). Being a sensored motor, the slow speed control is very detailed.

The thing I like the best is the radio trim dial. I can spin it and instantly dial up or down the rear steering rate. With the Mamba X you can also control one of the ESC features with a spare channel trim. I'm using mine to control the "power" feature. At 50% the TXT feels like a Clod. On the fly I can dial in mild to wild.

I recently switched everything over to EC5, which I like better than the Traxxas I was using. You can find bulk, genuine EC5 pretty cheap if you look around.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Last edited by ironcorn on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 am

That's about it for now. No issues running so far. I was going to run the Proline tires but went with Clod and TXT-1 wheels for now. Only thing I've noticed is the set screws that hold the Traxxas hubs to the transmission output shafts loosen about one turn after 30 minutes of full throttle 5000 mah 2S lipo. Things are turning much faster than stock and there are only about 3.5 threads in the hub for the set screw to work with, I'll have to include a check with each battery. I'm going to try some video later this summer. I'll report back then or when I break something.
Attachments
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 am

Almost forgot, I weighed the TXT-2 in running form with a 5000 mah 2S lipo installed. Came in at 11 lbs 4 oz. Not too bad considering a box art MSC Clod with a 3500 mah Nimh battery is right at 10 lbs even.
Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled.jpg