My recently acquired TXT-2

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Peter_B

My recently acquired TXT-2

Post by Peter_B » Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 am

I recently got my hands on this

It appeared on eBay a few weeks ago, with a lot of alloy upgrades, for a price that was more than I could entertain.

Turns out it ended up being bought by a chap local to me, who I bought my Clodbuster from last year. He decided it wasn't for him so tried to sell it on as it was. He didn't have any luck with that so started stripping off some of the upgrades to sell and replacing them with stock parts.

Then he put it up for sale again, this time at a price closer to my valuation. So a deal was done 8)

As it stands now it's a pretty much stock TXT-2. It's got the alloy bumpers, Traxxas springs, and RC4WD aluminium beadlock wheels.

There isn't a sticker on that body - it's all paint.

Pretty pleased with it, especially as I got it for less than the wheels and tyres would cost on their own :)

The plan is to get it up and running - it needs a full set of electrics, I'm thinking of going with a single brushless motor. Swap out the shocks and maybe change the beadlocks for a set of TXT-1 wheels. Those beadlocks are nice but they are very heavy.

Looking at it, it looks to me as if either the bumpers are on the wrong ends, or the body (and wheels) are on back to front. So I'll have to investigate, figure out which end is the front and remount everything accordingly.

GRAVETXT-1

Re: My recently acquired TXT-2

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 pm

You could sell the body separately and make back the money you spent on buying the truck the original owner would have spent a fortune having the body custom painted and then shipped back to the UK! 8)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Nice looking rig, sounds like you did a great deal on it too.

If you wana ditch the alloy rims i could understand. As i got a set of the alloy and a set delrin versions, both are a bit on the heavy side but the alloy ones are just out of control. Even when you do got the power to spin them, they feel like gyros that wont stop till there tear up something

Where are you located, i have a lighter set of delrin units, id trade for alloy if that helps.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Nice! The TXT-2 is one of my favourite trucks.

Peter_B

Post by Peter_B » Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm

NorthernNightmare wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

If you wana ditch the alloy rims i could understand. As i got a set of the alloy and a set delrin versions, both are a bit on the heavy side but the alloy ones are just out of control. Even when you do got the power to spin them, they feel like gyros that wont stop till there tear up something

Where are you located, i have a lighter set of delrin units, id trade for alloy if that helps.
I'm in the UK but think I'll hang on to the alloys for now.

I do have a question though, seeing as you have experience of the wheels.

I've just gotten round to taking the wheels off and was surprised to find 3 bushes as spacers between each wheel nut and the wheel.

I'm assuming they are there because the wheels are designed for a Clod and the TXT has longer axles.

But is there a better, more proper, solution than a bunch of old bushes?

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am

Now those are some body posts! :shock: I am scratching my head over your front/back dilemma. It's never occurred to me, that not being the builder of a truck such as this, that it would be nearly symmetric front to back. I suppose it shouldn't really matter, right? But that is an interesting situation.

Great looking truck, BTW.
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 am

Peter_B wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm
NorthernNightmare wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm in the UK but think I'll hang on to the alloys for now.

I do have a question though, seeing as you have experience of the wheels.

I've just gotten round to taking the wheels off and was surprised to find 3 bushes as spacers between each wheel nut and the wheel.

I'm assuming they are there because the wheels are designed for a Clod and the TXT has longer axles.

But is there a better, more proper, solution than a bunch of old bushes?
Yup thats normal on both the clod and txt-1 with the rc4wd wheels.

The only solution Im aware of is if you switch to thunder tech cvd axle shafts that are 8mm and uses a different mounting style but dont need the extended bushings.

I currently got the wheels on other builds that are more of a show vehicals as they just tear up shafts left and right all day...

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 am

I know when I went to install CPE wideners on my TXT-2 they didn't work as the axles were too long, as you have said. I switched to Clod axles and all good. I assume this would work the same for your wheels.

Peter_B

Post by Peter_B » Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm

As an update, I've figure out which end is the front - battery is at the back right?

I've mounted up some electrics - a Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC driving a single Speed Passion 13.5 MMM brushless motor, a Trackstar 21.5kg servo (only one for now as I need another E2 part for the rear servo).

I've also fitted a set of the TXT-2 hop up aluminium shocks. The guy I got the truck from had removed them intending to sell them separately and I was able to make a deal for them and the aluminium body mounts that had been fitted originally too.

When I mounted the servo I found that, with the kit spec servo saver, the drag link couldn't be mounted because the servo saver was in the way (the Traxxas servo that was fitted when I got it had a non kit spec servo arm fitted). AFter puzzling over it for a while I realised that the steering knuckles were mounted upside down and on the wrong sides, putting the drag link too low.

Once I realised that it was a simple job to swap the knuckles over, although I also found that the knuckles were missing the washer that sit top and bottom to prevent the king pin screws from binding - got some egenric 4mm washers on the way hopefully they'll do the job.

I couldn't mount the rear servo due to the lack of the E2 ervo saver part. But, given what I'd found at the front, I decided to check and prepare so I could just drop a servo in. I found the exact same problems at the rear - upside down steering knuckles and missing washers. Once I'd sorted those out it was ready to be driven.

My first impressions were that it doesn't turn very well at all with only the front wheels steering. Partly I think that's the weight of it, especially those wheels. I also noticed the wheel alignment was off - toe-in at the front, toe-out at the rear - which won't have helped.

Second thing I noticed was that it was quite slow. Although I think this can be accounted for by the fact I didn't have a fully charged battery so grabbed the part charged NiMH pack from my boys Lunchbox. I also hadn't done anything to the ESC other than set the throttle range. Undoubtedly the weight plays a part here too.

Next step is to get some washers in place on the steering knuckles, get the second servo mounted and sort out the wheel alignment as best I can. Then see how it drives with a fully charged battery.

After that I might try some TXT-1 wheels and see how much difference lighter wheels make.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 am

Yep, battery to the rear. It's a slow truck. You can try 3s with the stock motors for some more go. I'm running a 3900kv brushless motor. I was running 4400kv, but with the weight of the truck I was breaking stuff.

Peter_B

Post by Peter_B » Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am

Sixtys Guy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 am
Yep, battery to the rear. It's a slow truck. You can try 3s with the stock motors for some more go. I'm running a 3900kv brushless motor. I was running 4400kv, but with the weight of the truck I was breaking stuff.
Thanks for confirming battery to the rear.

I don't have the stock motors, it didn't come to me with any motors, so it is running a 13.5T Speed Passion brushless which I think is about 3300kv.

I'll sort out the other little niggles and then try a fully charged NiMH in it to see what it goes like - I don't have any LiPos for my Tamiya cars currently. I've got a bit of scope to up the motor kv slightly so that's always an option in the future.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am

yeh sorry I did read that you have a 3300kv motor. My 3900kv motor is 4 pole and I find it quite good. Can't remember what pinion I am running but it has great power down low. Maybe lacks a little top end, but I don't think it is slow for what it is.