Sixtys Guy's - Racing Buggy Thread

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Sixtys Guy's Kyosho RB6 & Others - Racing Buggy Thread

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:19 am

:shock: I think I have a problem....! I just bought a Fox off Ebay. I had been looking for one for a while as that's what I wanted to race in the Novice class. I ended up buying the Wild One instead. It only turned up today and then this Fox gets listed on Ebay! Not sure which one I will run in Novice, might alternate between them.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (227.29 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:53 am

Got most of the Wild One built today. I was hoping to have it finished to race tomorrow, but I have run out of time. I built it as per the instructions, except I used a Kimbrough 200 servo saver and made steering links from 3mm threaded rod and Traxxas ball ends. To get the servo saver to clear the bottom of the chassis I had to lift the servo a little. Instead of using the supplied posts I used a taller set out of my spares. Not 100% sure where they came from but the are 5mm taller than stock. These mods should make the steering a lot better.
Attachments
IMG_4780.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG (107.58 KiB) Viewed 268 times
IMG_4778.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG (115.14 KiB) Viewed 268 times
IMG_4777.JPG
IMG_4777.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Sweet! Can't wait to see how the older buggy's do out there. :popcorn:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:13 am

andymac0035 wrote:Sweet! Can't wait to see how the older buggy's do out there. :popcorn:
Chances are not great, but I really just want to run the old Tamiyas around for a bit of fun! The guys at the club take the racing pretty seriously, but this should lighten the mood a little! I hope a few others dig out their old Tamiyas too!

The club had an extra meet on Saturday and I was hopeful to improve my times with some tweaks I had made to the RB6. I increased the timing to 30 degrees and went up a pinion size to 34. I had also replaced the old Kyosho servo with a Savox 1258. Unfortunately I had a tumble in practice and broke the steering plate. I had taken the ZX5 (with removed drive shafts) with me to practice with so I entered it into 2wd Stock. I really didn't like the way it drove - very twitchy in the steering and wanted to nose dive on jumps. I didn't have a good run at all. I qualified 14 out of 16, but didn't race any of the finals as I had to leave early. Consequently I decided that my ZX5 experiment was over and I listed it for sale on FB. It sold in a couple of hours, so I may have sold it too cheap! I kept all of the electrics out of it so they may find their way into the Fox when it arrives.

Best time with the ZX5 was the first heat. It actually wasn't too bad a run considering I didn't enjoy driving it at all!
Attachments
IMG_0001.PNG
IMG_0001.PNG (132.42 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 am

Nearly done building the Wild One.... need to fit up an esc and radio and thats about it. Really looking forward to getting it running!
Attachments
IMG_4810.JPG
IMG_4810.JPG (158.86 KiB) Viewed 266 times
IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4809.JPG (163.04 KiB) Viewed 266 times
IMG_4808.JPG
IMG_4808.JPG (161.95 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:34 pm

FOX - Well the Fox turned up and it's in really good nick. It has a small crack on one of the rear arms and one of the rear wheels is broken, but apart from that it's all good. I'm going to rebuild it and install Novafox dog bones, move the servo forward, replace the wheels and then race it in Novice class.

Wild One - got it up and running, and it's a blast! I put in a cheap Towerpro servo and it crapped itself at the end of the first run. I have a few spare servos so will try another one. I took to the club to practice with, but didn't get much of a run due to the steering. It rolls really easily in corners, the rear suspension is really stiff. I had a look, but there doesn't seem to be an easy fix as the springs are just too stiff. CRP made a spring kit for it back in the day, but these shocks are slightly different and the CRP springs don't fit. I will check the local hardware shop to see if they have something that will work.

RB6 - had an absolute shocker of a race night. I didn't finish one race.... in the first race I crashed and the shock cap came off, so I had oil everywhere. After that the rear ball cups kept coming off during the race. I also broke an axle shaft, so a really deflating night. The club champ let me drive his Xray XB2 for a few laps.... so tempting to upgrade, it drives so much better than the RB6..... Not sure whether to persevere and upgrade this or to cut my losses and buy an XB2 or an RC10B6...

B4.1 - Ryan made his racing debut! He finished last in every race, but he did really well and ran 9 laps in one race. He was very happy with his efforts. It was an awesome debut!
Attachments
IMG_0030.PNG
IMG_0030.PNG (234.58 KiB) Viewed 265 times
IMG_0031.PNG
IMG_0031.PNG (125.48 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:50 am

Just a thought.... sell the kyosho and get another B4.1 (or B4.2). There are already tons of established set-ups out there as tuning guides.... parts everywhere.... and you and your son can share parts. :idea:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 am

Hey Andy, I can't say that I had thought of a B4. I would prefer to stick with mid motor.... I have a truck for sale and if it sells I will just get an XB2 and be done with it I think. In the mean time I will replace the rear shocks in the RB6 and keep racing!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:48 am

Raced again last night. Had my best night of racing as I managed to finish 3rd in one of the 2wd Stock Buggy C Finals. In the other final I lead for a while and was 2nd most of the race, but two crashes meant that I finished 5th, and 5th overall.

I also raced the Wild One in Novice Class. It was a handful and not anywhere near as enjoyable as I thought it would be. It steers, jumps and turns poorly - as would would expect for a 30 year old plus design! I could only squeeze 9 laps out of it. I don't think I will bother again. Might take the Fox out there and see if it fares any better.

Oh yeah, and this happened!
Attachments
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG (248.3 KiB) Viewed 263 times
IMG_0042.PNG
IMG_0042.PNG (249.93 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:57 am

Got the new car built ready to race tomorrow night.... looking forward to racing it! Pretty happy with how the paint job turned out too!
Attachments
IMG_5027 (2) 3.jpg
IMG_5027 (2) 3.jpg (254.15 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Re: Sixtys Guy's - Racing Buggy Thread

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Love seeing your progress! I will be starting this winter I hope in a Indoor clay track a couple hours drive away!

I will be starting my racing debut in 17.5 stock class with a RERE RC10 Worlds hahaha - against RB6's, B5's, B6's, and Tekno buggies

I plan to go on Sunday's to just putz around the track to get used to the layout before entering a race.. as it's around $150+ to race for the season plus a 2 hour drive one way..
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Thanks Zac. I'm experiencing the highs and lows of racing! The 17.5 class is so competitive and I'm finding that driver skill is by far the biggest variable. Everyone is looking for a mod that will cut lap times by 1/2 a second. I reckon if I never crashed I would be around middle of the pack at the club. I'd be interested to know how the RC10 goes! I'm waiting for a heap of Fox parts to turn up from Japan, so I can get it up and running in the Novice class. I have to say I find the 17.5 class quite mentally draining at times!

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:44 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:Thanks Zac. I'm experiencing the highs and lows of racing! The 17.5 class is so competitive and I'm finding that driver skill is by far the biggest variable. Everyone is looking for a mod that will cut lap times by 1/2 a second. I reckon if I never crashed I would be around middle of the pack at the club. I'd be interested to know how the RC10 goes! I'm waiting for a heap of Fox parts to turn up from Japan, so I can get it up and running in the Novice class. I have to say I find the 17.5 class quite mentally draining at times!
It is VERY competitive to say the least.. I am putting the RC10 on a SERIOUS diet, so much so in fact I'll probably have to add weight to it, but feel free to check out my thread in here for it.. it's getting expensive haha if you can believe it for a RC10.. they are VERY light ROAR rules over here has a weight minimum and limit- min is 1,499 grams.. I weighted my RC10 with a bunch of stock parts and a heavy Novak brushless combo and it was 1,496 grams haha 3 grams under! It's going to get lighter as well haha

My local track is large, and the stock 17.5 class is the largest field at over 25 drivers so it's crazy as far as racing haha
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:11 am

Zac_F85 wrote:It is VERY competitive to say the least.. I am putting the RC10 on a SERIOUS diet, so much so in fact I'll probably have to add weight to it, but feel free to check out my thread in here for it.. it's getting expensive haha if you can believe it for a RC10.. they are VERY light ROAR rules over here has a weight minimum and limit- min is 1,499 grams.. I weighted my RC10 with a bunch of stock parts and a heavy Novak brushless combo and it was 1,496 grams haha 3 grams under! It's going to get lighter as well haha

My local track is large, and the stock 17.5 class is the largest field at over 25 drivers so it's crazy as far as racing haha
Yeh, I have checked your thread out.... nice work! The club here are pretty loose with the rules - no weighing, no checking esc timing or even ROAR approved motors and batteries. I hope everyone is playing within the rules as I reckon if you were that way inclined it wouldn't take much to up the esc timing.

I was planning on running 4wd Stock as well and bought a ZX-5, but they get so many more people to 2wd stock. A few weeks ago we had 22 in 2wd Stock, 16 the other night. 4wd Stock only had 2. SCT is the next most popular class, but they just don't interest me, thats why i want to race an old Tamiya in Novice.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 am

Got to race the XB2 for the first time on Friday night. I had a mixed run. I managed to beat my lap record and most laps in a race, yet still only qualified 14th out of 16. The second race was great, mid way I was actually coming 2nd, but crashed twice in the next 2 laps which saw me drop to 7th, then ended up 8th. I finished 8th in the first B Main and the was a non starter in the second final as i had a motor cogging issue (haven't looked at why just yet). I am improving, but it seems those around my speed are also improving! If I could avoid crashing my results would be a lot better! The XB2 felt a lot quicker than the RB6, but the lap times didn't indicate a big difference. I was quite conservative on the gearing, so I will try going up a pinion size or two.

Ryan had a really good run in Novice. He managed to win one of the mains. he was very happy with his result. The other two kids racing are around his age and they have become mates. He really enjoys going to the racing, probably more for the social apsect than the racing, but at least he is eager to go!
Attachments
IMG_0104.PNG
IMG_0104.PNG (215.31 KiB) Viewed 261 times
IMG_0072.PNG
IMG_0072.PNG (138.16 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.