Sixtys Guy's - Racing Buggy Thread

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Re: Sixtys Guy's - Racing Buggy Thread

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Can't see your pic (as I'm at work), but I'm guessing it's the score sheet. Good to hear you are back at it. I did end up racing my raider buggy and it did decently. I usually would finish 2nd or 3rd with it, but I managed a 1st place a few weeks ago. It's not a bad handling buggy, but it sure is different to deal with. For the money, it's a good deal. Having said that....

it's funny you mentioned stadium truck in your previous post. I picked up a used traxxas rustler for a really good price. Ironically... I got it from the same guy I got my last rustler from (he got it in a trade). But wait... it gets even better! When I first started racing over 3 years ago... I had a stampede 2WD that I raced in the stadium truck class. I usually fought for last place with a monster jam "son-of-a-digger" stampede that had been converted to a rustler chassis..... you guessed it... I now own that truck. I've been working on it tuning it up and it runs so good I have lost all interest in the buggy class. I've been placing 2nd and 3rd with it. It's a LOT of fun.

Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks Andy. Kind of funny with your trading for the old truck. Cool that you are able to compete so well with it.

I've got the bug again. After the last meet I've splashed out of some new tyres and and can't wait to get there again. The club has to hire the building to use it, so we can't just go out there and practice. I think I need to get there a few hours early and just practice, and practice more!

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Oh definitely! I always show up early and practice.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Had my first race meet for about three months and had a good time. The track has changed again and I think this is my favourite version. They have reinstalled 'the wall'. I haven't ever raced on the wall, but I saw it when I was a spectator at the Launceston Cup (State Titles) about 5 years ago. It's a lot of fun.

I was a little rusty, but got better as the meet went on. A lot of the faster drivers have moved up to 2wd Mod, so the 2wd stock class seems to be a more level playing field. I qualified 5th and finished 4th and 7th in the two mains, to end up 6th.

At the end of the meet I got the club pro to drive my XB2 to get his thoughts. he thought it drove really well, but suffered from severe understeer. He put on a new set of Proline Wedge front tyres and it felt like a totally different car. So, order to Amain done already!
Attachments
IMG_0514.PNG
IMG_0514.PNG (127.03 KiB) Viewed 119 times

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am

Another race meet last night. The numbers have been down since the season started back up and a lot of the better drivers have stepped up to 2wd Mod, so last night there was only enough for one main for 2wd stock. My Amain order didn't turn up in time, but I had another set of front Proline wedges which did the trick. I managed to shave around 2 seconds off my best lap time compared to last week! I also tried the Hobbyking ultra short 2600mah packs. I'm not sure the lower weight helped at all. I will keep testing.

I had an absolute shocker in the first qualifier, but the 2nd qualifier and 2 Mains were good. The racing was incredibly even. In the 2nd qualifier there were 3 of us within 7/100 of a second! In both mains there were 4 of us within 10 seconds of each other. It was really enjoyable racing.
Attachments
IMG_0580.PNG
IMG_0580.PNG (129.82 KiB) Viewed 112 times
IMG_0579.PNG
IMG_0579.PNG (134.9 KiB) Viewed 112 times
IMG_0578.PNG
IMG_0578.PNG (133.68 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:51 pm

This weekend was the clubs big race meet for the year. 'The Cup' is open to anyone and we have a few guys from Sydney fly down and a couple from elsewhere in the state.

Apart from trophies being on offer, the main difference is that there are 4 qualifiers and 3 mains. The worst main is dropped so the results are a little different to usual.

I qualified 13th out of 18 and managed to win the first B Main. I was pretty happy with myself for this, but it didn't last long as I finished 6th in the second main and 5th in the third, to take 4th overall in the B finals. The guy that won the B main overall was stoked as he is usually at the back of the field, but he managed a few races where he didn't crash at all.

The club are trying to get the Stadium Truck class back up and running and I'm considering gettin an XRay XT2 as they are on special at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG (240.91 KiB) Viewed 75 times

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Another night of racing. A small meet this time. I qualified 5th out of 9 and ended up 4th overall so I was pretty happy with the result.
Attachments
IMG_0787.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg (255.31 KiB) Viewed 62 times