Sixtys Guy's - Racing Buggy Thread

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Re: Sixtys Guy's - Racing Buggy Thread

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:25 am

Another race night done. Probably the best night of racing I have had so far as it was the best 4 races I have put together in the one night! I also managed my best single lap time (can't quite crack 18 seconds, but I'm close!). I managed to qualify 14th out of 18, and ended up 16th overall. Doesn't sound so great, but my consistency is improving and I am really enjoying it. I tried Jconcepts pindown rear tyres and they felt better than the Prolines. I also tried using a Turnigy Ultimate lipo pack which seemed to have a little more punch than the Turnigy Nanotechs I have been using. Also went up to a 33T pinion from the 30T from last time.

Ryan also had a good night. Only two in Novice and he won both heats, but narrowly lost both finals
Attachments
IMG_0103.PNG
IMG_0103.PNG (120.44 KiB) Viewed 124 times
IMG_0102.PNG
IMG_0102.PNG (137.85 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:57 pm

FOX

I'm determined to race the Fox in the Novice class at the club. Racing the Wild One wasn't much fun due to the poor handling but I'm hoping the Fox does much better....

I ordered (locally) a Novafox chassis (which moves the servo forward), and new front and rear arms (I'm figuring these are the plastics most likely to break), and a complete set of the dog bone setup from the Novafox. I went through a local hobby shop and have been waiting for around 7 weeks so far.... should have just ordered off ebay!

I bought a few old school aftermarket goodies as well - front and rear stabilisers, adjustable upper front arms. Also got a Thorp counter gear, but it is missing the bush in the middle that holds it together. I bought another counter gear to suit a Madcap, thinking I could use that bush, but it is a different size..... if anyone can help me out there it would be appreciated. The Thorp counter gear is 46T as opposed to the stock 50T, so I can run a larger pinion to get a higher gear ratio. Stock with an 18T pinion is 7.25, but I am hoping to run a 21T pinion that will give me a ratio of around 6.10. Just need that bush!
Attachments
IMG_5116.JPG
IMG_5116.JPG (160.05 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Best night of racing yet (again!). It was a small meet this time, but out of 4 races I managed to complete 15 laps in 3 of those and 14 in the other. Not really getting faster, but getting much more consistent with less crashes.

Ryan also had a good night. Managed 9 laps in one race.
Attachments
IMG_0118.PNG
IMG_0118.PNG (124.26 KiB) Viewed 122 times
IMG_0117.PNG
IMG_0117.PNG (230.44 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:23 pm

FOX :evil: Frustrating. I needed a few parts to get the Fox up and going. I could have bought off ebay, but I decided to use a LHS as i had bought a few things off them before. Even though they said it would be a 4-6 week wait, I didn't really mind as I wasn't really in a hurry. It has now been 9 weeks since they were ordered and the think they will have the parts within 2-4 weeks. They say they can only pass on the time estimates from the wholesaler.

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 am

I'd order the parts online anyways, maybe if you break those the other one's might be in by then... #-o

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:03 am

Lol, I reckon the parts from OS (UK) will definitely be here before the parts from Aus! You might be onto something Andy, having a look around these Novafox parts are getting scarce, might pay to stock up.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:28 am

Seems to be a common theme, but had my best night of racing again! Managed to crack 16 laps for the first time..... I am at the stage where I feel 15 laps is a good, but not great race for me. No mods to the car, just getting better at driving! I only qualified 10th of 12, but managed to pick up a 3rd in one of the B Mains.

I also raced the Wild One in Novice class again. They are only getting a few starters in Novice so I thought I would try to bump the numbers a little. Ryan had a bit of a shocker, stripped a shock end, but still had fun.
Attachments
IMG_0154.PNG
IMG_0154.PNG (243.64 KiB) Viewed 121 times
IMG_0155.PNG
IMG_0155.PNG (237.58 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BloodClod
Site Admin

Post by BloodClod » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:37 am

Glad to see another buggy racer here on clodtalk. Racing can be quite addictive - a very different facet of the hobby compared to monster trucks. I love the thrill of that intense 5-minute run. Looks like a very very nice track where you run. :)
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:40 am

Thanks! Yep, very addictive!

Another race done... first at the new track. It is much more technical and challenging. I managed to qualify 7th out of 12, to top qualify for the B Main. Ended up 2nd in the B.

I also raced the Fox in Novice. It has good straight line speed, but jumps terribly and is very rear heavy. Practice was good, but I landed heavily on a jump in the first qualifier and broke the gearbox. I'm not sure that the Tamiya plastic is up to handling the jumps at the track. I might give it another go and if it doesn't improve I might have to give up my desire to race an old Tamiya!
Attachments
IMG_5323 2.jpg
IMG_5323 2.jpg (254.11 KiB) Viewed 120 times
IMG_0160.PNG
IMG_0160.PNG (209.02 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BloodClod
Site Admin

Post by BloodClod » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:42 am

You are very brave to be racing that Fox... even if it is in Novice. lol!

Cars from that era weren't designed for the tracks of today... and hence they tend to handle the jumps poorly. We trash a number of vintage cars on our large outdoor track here and the ones with the most potential are the RC10 worlds cars. The Kyosho scorpions aren't quite at that level but are also very decent handlers. I've tried Frogs, Foxes, Wild Ones, Hotshots... they all put a smile on my face on the track but really can't really compare. My favourite and best handling Tamiya "vintage" that I run with the modern buggies is actually the Egress. It's the re-release version but with a decent weight of oils in the dampers the car actually exceeded my expectations and ran really well. It isn't going to outrun any modern buggies, but it'll hang with the RC10s and feels really composed on the track and jumps.

How does your local track determine who goes into the novice class, or any other class for that matter? Maybe some lessons we could pick up for our racing programme here.
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks mate. Yeah the fact is that the Fox can't handle the big jumps. I hate to admit it, but it just isn't worth while.... Interesting with the other vehicles you have tried.... I was thinking of trying a Super Hotshot thinking it might jump better... My main aim isn't to match it with modern cars, but just to relive my youth!

As far as Novice Class goes, it's usually for kids and new comers. I raced I think 3 or 4 meets in Novice before I moved up to 2wd Stock. It was a massive jump up though. I went from winning pretty much every race to coming last in almost every race. We normally only get between 3-6 people in the class. The powers that be don't mind if I race old Tamiyas in the class as they know I'm not in it to win it.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:03 pm

I've had a bit of a break from racing, but am starting to get keen to race again. I lost my interest over the last few months.... for a reason. The last night I raced, during practice one driver was swearing because his car wasn't being picked up quick enough by a Marshall, who happened to be a kid. My son was on the drivers stand with me and heard it all. It wasn't anything he hasn't heard before but still I was not happy about it, but I let it go. This guy is well known for his poor behaviour and although I've never seen it, have heard that there have been some confrontations with other drivers.

Later in the night I was marshalling and copped the brunt of the drivers frustration as well. I wasn't exactly sure of what he said to me, but I got the jist. After the race I went over to his stand and confronted him about his attitude and language. An arguement ensued and I have to say I lost it with him. So ignorant, arrogant and rude.

The guy is physically disabled and therefore can't Marshall yet seems to be an expert in it. The funny thing is that when I was in the local club back in the very early 90's this guy was there too and he was 'hard to get along with' then.

The Race Director came over to intervene and he had words with the driver. Luckily when I had been marshalling he was standing next to him on the drivers stand so had seen and heard what had gone on. I ended up walking away because I knew i was getting too angry.

A few guys had seen what had happened and came over to me to offer support as they were sick of the guys attitude as well. The Race Director came over as well and told me that he had handled it and it was time to move on. I was still not happy about it and I left that night really unhappy that this guy continually gets way with poor behaviour. Since then I thought that most probably I wouldn't go back, but 2 months later I'm starting to think I might get back into it.

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:24 am

Some times we all need a break. I've been there when it just doesn't seem fun anymore. I've been away from it a while, but I'm getting back into it a little bit too. Been borrowing a friends buggy, but now have one of my own again. The wife saw me looking at various buggy's and ordered the one she thought I had settled on. The truth is I had NOT settled on one, but she settled for me... LOL

So I'm going to make a go of trying an ARRMA raider 1/10 buggy. Should be interesting. It handles well in practice, hopefully I'll race it this Sunday.

As for your marshal/driver problem, that's an easy one for me. If I'm marshalling and someone is yelling at me.... I slow down..... and eventually they get the idea. They may not like me.... but if they want to get going after THEY crash.... then they can learn to behave.

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:39 am

The ARRMA sounds like a challenge Andy! I still have the desire to run something totally left field, but I have given up on the vintage Tamiya idea, it just hasn't worked for me! The SCT scene is popular and they are looking to start a Stadium Truck class as well. Apparently they used to have that class and a few guys want to run their trucks again. I don't really want to go the expense of buying another truck, unless I can pick one up 2nd hand.

Yeh, this guy won't be high on my priority list when marshalling from now on!

Sixtys Guy

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Back in racing saddle! First time back at the club for a while and it showed - very slow, but still had fun! The track has changed again since I was there last but I really enjoyed racing on it.

I qualified 18 out of 20, came 6th out of 10 in both finals, and managed 18th overall. Pretty slow, but once I get back into it more I hope to get a little quicker.

On another note, I have given away the Fox idea completely. I have it up for sale as well as my Wild One. I still have a thought that I want to run something for fun, but will leave it for the time being!
Attachments
IMG_0307.PNG
IMG_0307.PNG (139.42 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.