Well got hit with the racing bugg...

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Zac_F85
Approved Member

Well got hit with the racing bugg...

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Was out at Full Throttle (510) Raceway in Foley MN yesterday with a couple friends and was watching the stock 2wd buggy class with interest.. so much so that I want to build a buggy, get some practice and start racing around mid January..

I wasted no time this morning, after not getting home til 1am from the track (1.5 hour trip 1 way from me) and searched for a 2wd buggy.. after having a TRF201 and relizing the lack of USA support for parts ect.. I knew not to get that..

My friend I go to the track with has a Team Edi. B4.1 that is well very fast and well sorted.. and after having a SC10 and loving it - I knew it had to be AE

Searched for about 30-45 minutes on eBay and found the best deal to be a B4.1 worlds roller scored it for $170 shipped with a AE 2.4 radio/ AE servo, big bore shocks, and a bunch of parts..

My plan is to race in the stock buggy class (17.5t). once my offer was accepted I searched for a brushless combo that was of quality, had to be name brand, and most of all cheap. An hour or so search came up with the best deal = Novak Club ESC/17.5t combo brand new for $104 shipped, and then on to bearings. It was a no brainer for me having used Fast Eddie Bearings on my Losi XX/XXX to go with him.. $22.50 for a full rubber sealed kit

The B4 I got has hex mount in front and pin drive rear, so I will probably swap back to the stock bearing in wheel style axle as I feel it is a nicer setup than the 12mm hex..

I have a Turnigy 5000mah/60c 2S battery, Savox 0252 servo, Racers Edge power cap, and RC10 decals waiting for it

The body (hopefully it fits with the +8mm chassis) will be an AE Interceptor, and will be done Florecent Orange, with re-re 1984 RC10 decals.. yes a retro RC10 I feel it's going to be AWESOME

I will post pics when I get the buggy this week, and may sell my 2wd Slash to fund this build so it can be done by mid December to get at least 3-4 Sunday's in a the track to get used to the track itself..
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Well got hit with the racing bugg...

Post by SFC K » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:11 am

Cool! Good luck with your new quest! Can get addicting super quick so you have been warned. :mrgreen:
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:51 am

Awesome! I just started racing in 2wd mod with a B4.1 Factory Team I got on a trade for my Micro RS4. I won the B-Main the first time I raced it even on wrong tires for our track. I just got the tires we use and will be going back for round 2 this coming Sunday. Will be running the B4.1 and my SC10. I never thought I'd be much for racing but now I don't even bash anymore so you could say I am hooked.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:59 am

I made the same decision...going to try the 2WD buggy class as a return to racing after a couple years off and many years before that racing anything with wheels (Touring car, 1/12 scale, 1/8 nitro, Nitro MT, etc...)...

I went out and bought a B5M updated to FT/Lite levels, fully RTR including a netbook to tune the BL system...

And then when I got home saw the announcement that Xray was finally releasing their new buggy...so now it's on order too and I'll likely be selling what I just bought...lol...

The 2WD buggy class is crazy to watch..looking forward to hitting the track! Best of luck with your adventures!!!!

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52 am

SFC K wrote:Cool! Good luck with your new quest! Can get addicting super quick so you have been warned. :mrgreen:
You should try to get out to Foley! It is a blast out there! I need to sell some RC's to fund this so hopefully I can sell my Slash to get a good start for sure.. Thanks guys!

Ya I'm a horrible driver LOL it will take me a full day driving to get used to the track and will be January before I sign up, base membership is $130.. so not cheap but will be SUPER fun entertainment as the stock buggy class at my track has the highest number of drivers (around 20) so the A main gets a little crazy.. haha

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:36 am

I should sometime. Its a drive for me too. I did check out MMRC a month ago and it looked fun and all, but most of the guys setup stations made me feel this small. I don't have the budget or the time to commit to racing. I wish you luck though and look forward to hearing how your first race goes. :wink:
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:10 pm

SFC K wrote:I should sometime. Its a drive for me too. I did check out MMRC a month ago and it looked fun and all, but most of the guys setup stations made me feel this small. I don't have the budget or the time to commit to racing. I wish you luck though and look forward to hearing how your first race goes. :wink:
LOL ya they're that way at this track as well.. all high dollar stuff.. I was honestly surprised at how many were running Traxxas Slash's in the SCT classes..

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:36 pm

SFC K wrote:I should sometime. Its a drive for me too. I did check out MMRC a month ago and it looked fun and all, but most of the guys setup stations made me feel this small.
Oh jeez ... :roll: .... get that blitz and new buggy you just got :wink: ...... and get out there already. :P

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:41 am

andymac0035 wrote:
SFC K wrote:I should sometime. Its a drive for me too. I did check out MMRC a month ago and it looked fun and all, but most of the guys setup stations made me feel this small.
Oh jeez ... :roll: .... get that blitz and new buggy you just got :wink: ...... and get out there already. :P
LOL plus you could bring a clod.. I bring and break my Barbarian everytime haha they(regular racers) all get a kick out of it..

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:52 am

SFC I didn't know my head from a transponder until Andy dragged my butt to the track and now it's pretty much the only thing I do RC related. No one to bash with locally so all my rigs are race prepped.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:54 am

Zac_F85 wrote:
andymac0035 wrote:
LOL plus you could bring a clod.. I bring and break my Barbarian everytime haha they(regular racers) all get a kick out of it..
Breaking everytime you take a Clod to the track.... Andy does that sound familiar? :lol:

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:58 am

shadowfocus603 wrote:SFC I didn't know my head from a transponder until Andy dragged my butt to the track and now it's pretty much the only thing I do RC related. No one to bash with locally so all my rigs are race prepped.
I have built 4 race ready rigs, to try racing and never panned out, now I want to give it a honest try at the new track I found in Foley..

I have a B4.1 Worlds roller coming and it needs a full rebuild, plus it's missing some key Team parts it should have but doesn't so tear down and inspection as well.. plans are to race 17.5t stock buggy which has around 20-24 guys racing (the same class, and also the biggest class they have)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:11 am

shadowfocus603 wrote: Breaking everytime you take a Clod to the track.... Andy does that sound familiar? :lol:
Hitting VERY close to home.... :explosion:

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Well I splurged over the xmas holiday! I bought my friends B4.1 Team Edition as I got took on the "worlds kit" I bought from a 13 year old on eBay.. (an expensive parts buggy)

SO I bought my friends roller for $250 - came with a few spare parts, 2 sets of brand new tires, and 2 high discharge 2S lipo's.. On top of being in VERY good shape LOL

I will be tearing it down tonight, will post pics when I start reassembly!

I have bought -

Turnigy 4200mah 65c-130c 2S shorty pack Lipo
Spectrum DX2E 2.4 radio
Associated FT Aluminum Shock Ball End Blue
Associated Body Clips Metallic Blue Short (6)
Robinson Racing Pinion Gear Aluminum Pro 48P 24T
Associated Blue Anodized Self Threading 4-40 Locknuts
Associated Shock Caps 12mm
Associated Battery Pads
Associated Rear Axle Wheel Spacer
Associated Factory Team Chassis Weights 1/4
Associated Silicone Shock Fluid 27.5 Weight
Associated Rear Dish Wheel White
AKA Racing Tire Gluing Kit w/Glue & Bands
Associated Shock Rebuild Kit 12mm
Associated Shock Piston Assortment 12mm
Associated Front Dish Wheel White
RPM Heavy Duty Rod Ends White
Associated Battery Spacers RC10B2
Novak Black Cooling Fan 25x25x10mm 2mm Mini Plug
Associated Molded Gear Cover Clear B4/T4
Associated Factory Team 2WD Offroad Rear Ballast Weight
Associated Mounting Hardware 12mm
Associated Chassis Protective Sheet
DE Racing Chassis Brace Associated B4/T4
Associated Rear Soft Spring Kit 12mm
Associated Milled Motor Plate Black
Associated Factory Team Center Drilled Axles
Lunsford Racing SD Titanium Turnbuckle Kit
Associated Driver Clear RC10
Associated Front Soft Spring Kit 12mm
JConcepts Dirt Webs 2.2" 2WD Front Tire Gold
JConcepts Dirt Webs 2.2" Buggy Rear Tire Gold
Associated Factory Team 4-40 Aluminum Locknut
Associated Posi-Lock Quick-Change Pin Retainer
Associated CVD Rebuild Kit
Associated Bearing .187x.500x.196"
Associated Factory Team Axle Shim Kit
MIP Ball Diff Rebuild Kit
Associated Titanium Nitride Shock Shaft 21x3 x2
Associated Titanium Nitride Shock Shaft 27.5x3 x2
Associated Shock Bush (Comp) B5

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Well I'm back with another update..

Got a fair bit if work done on the B4.. still waiting for parts though sadly.

rebuilt a solid 90% of it, got it wired and working after finding out the reciever I bought won't work with the Spectrum DX2E transmitter, so I stole the SR300 out of my Losi XXX..

I replaced the arms with the new one's as they had play, and plan on tearing it back apart here to replace all the hinge pins with Lunsford pieces, as some are hard to install/remove..

I got the shorty lipo, and must say it is TINY lol. I got the battery leads hardwired in, bound the radio, fired it up, programmed the ESC, has no reverse, but it all works! I need to figure out how to get the buggy lighter yet I think as it's gained some weight from the front hinge pin mount, added the rear ballast weight, and added a fan to the ESC, which itself is mounted above everything.. which I may raise a bit more so I can tune the weight distribution of the battery a bit more - it can only move about 3/8" right now

My other B4 from ebay came with Big bores, so I ended last night by rebuilding and installing them - had to reuse the black plastice pieces as the rebuild kit's white pieces did not fit the front shocks, but got new O rings and a good cleaning - went with 1.5 pistons all around, 30wt front, 27.5wt rear, green springs rear (2.0lb/in), and we'll see front as I don't have them yet (looking at Brown or Black)- and I may change the pistons here not sure- I am running the rear sway bar as well so that will play a huge roll as well, and I'm not sure if it's legal even so we'll see hopefully it is..

PICS!

The race body as the decals were crappy quality!

PARTS!

Electronics mounted

Big bore rebuild!