Ofna Hyper SS Brushless

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Ofna Hyper SS Brushless

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:52 am

So I decided to swap the Clod for a 1:8 scale Ofna this past Friday. I covered my reasoning in my Clod thread and stand by it for better or worse. Anyways, since our track has started a ProLite buggy class (1:8 scale buggies with 550 sized motors and 2s) I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon. It was kinda setup for brushless when I got it by way of having a 2650kv motor and a battery tray on it but I decided to swap some stuff around to clean up the layout and get it in line with class rules. I pulled the motor which will be sold off and installed the 4700kv from my Slash along with the SC8 esc. I used the battery trays I saved from the Ground Pounder chassis I bought to position the battery and I will be running it with my trusty GT3B Flysky radio. Steering duties will be handled by a Savox 1268 servo. Will be running some M4 Proline tires on lightweight Proline wheels. Couple pics.

Next couple images are how it sits now.

Now that the electrics are installed my to-do list fairly mild. I have a new body coming from the electric version of this buggy (Hyper SSe) as well as new arms for all 4 corners and new center shafts and a 16t mod 1 pinion. Also have the wheels and tires in route. As long as the mail runs smoothly and nothing gets lost along the way I should have my first shakedown run this coming Sunday.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Ofna Hyper SS Brushless

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:15 am

It will be interesting to see if that motor is up to the task. I think the pro-lites are no where near as heavy as full on 1/8 nitro and 4S e-buggy. I'm hoping it works tho... and the extra weight helps with traction.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:32 pm

She lives! I replaced the arms and camber links on all 4 corners as well as the wing and wing mounts and put in a set of center driveshafts that were missing and got to drive about 3 minutes under it's own power today vs me pushing it up the street making vrooom vrooom noises (my neighbors try to ignore me lest they encourage me :lol: ). First run was cut short when the pinion set screw backed off and she stopped cold in the road. No worries. Went and grabbed some Loctite and she is setting now. Will hopefully get a proper run in tomorrow. Going to throw my lipo alarm in and run it to 3.3v and see what kind of run time I get out of it. I need to get at least 7 minutes to make sure I last the races (closer to 8 will be better to give me room to spare and I'm hoping my 5200mah 2s will be up to it. I'm sitting on an order for some 7000+mah 90c batteries until I get some extra cash in again so hopefully I can get by til then. Will get pics up later. Just had to share with everyone :o

Edit: BTW Andy I got the new tires today and threw them on to weigh everything. Still heavy at 7.125lbs but nearly 5oz lighter than it was. Was kinda happy about that.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:32 pm

[youtube]2w9RoH3-A9M[/youtube]

First run proper. Got too hot on the 16t pinion so I dropped it to a 14t. Ran out of light to run it so I will do another run tomorrow and see if temps stay down. Motor got to 180 after about 7-8 minutes. All full speed blasting up and down the road so that probably didn't help. Also one of the stock wheels on the buggy is cracked and the hex if half gone. Not really going to bother with it as I don't plan to bash this much if at all. The runs right now are simply to find what bugs need to be addressed BEFORE Sunday race day. I learned my lesson with my Slash race trucks of what to look for.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Btw try to ignore the potato camera work. Still need to practice the Andy camera transmitter mambo a bit more :lol:

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:51 pm

I did not think the camera work was that bad. As for the buggy, man is that thing fast! All I saw was a streak... :shock:
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:04 am

The great thing is that's on 2s. The bad thing is it got too hot :cry: Hopefully a 2 tooth drop on the pinion will bring the temps in line. At least enough to get me through a 7 minute race. Then I'll order a 12t and 13t for next week. It's always something lol.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:10 am

Couple pics sitting on race rubber.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Ran the buggy again on a 14t pinion this morning and temps came way down. Highest I saw was ~120 degrees on the motor and maybe 75 degrees on the speed control. The cool thing (no pun I swear) was that speeds were almost the same at least by my eye radar most likely due to the fact that the buggy could get up to speed easier without struggling. I still want to get a few more pinions to try so that I can be covered no matter where I take it. I'm thinking a 12t,13t, and a 15t should have me pretty well set. Running a 48t spur those pinions plus the ones I have will allow me to run every ratio between 3:1 - 4:1.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:15 pm

I think you are on the right track. It will depend on the surface at the track as well. Running on pavement and dirt tend to be different all together. The more pinions in you pit box will definitely be a plus come race day. Good luck tomorrow! :wink:
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:44 am

Had a good day today. Wasn't able to race (prior engagements) but was able to practice for about 2.5 hours. I got 6 packs through the buggy. I'm extremely satisfied with it as a whole. It is majorly under-damped and it needs the diffs cleaned out and refilled so I have a known baseline but I had a blast. I like racing 2wd short course but I LOVE driving this buggy on the track. I feel like I found my calling. Now I just need to swap motors (the 4700 kept getting hot under track conditions even with ambient temps running high 50's low 60's) and I need to get a couple higher capacity packs. I kept hitting LVC right at 5:30 to 6:00 every run. I feel like the weight of the buggy was more help than hindrance as well. It wasn't twitchy or overly sensitive and flies butter smooth. The Proline Ion M4 tires had good bite and I felt like it was never suffering for traction. Don't know what else to say but can't wait for next track day.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:25 am

[youtube]St16j8Zsg0c[/youtube]

Little vid from today. Camera freaked out and shut off with less than a minute to go :evil:

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 am

I have seen that track before. Was that Andy marshaling in the center of the track??? 2.5 hours running on a track would be awesome and during practice too. Looked like a lot of fun! 8)
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 pm

No that's not Andy. And tell me about it on the track time. I never used to be a racer but I find myself looking forward to Sunday even with getting up at 7am on a weekend. And like I said driving this buggy is a joy. I can't wait to get the shocks rebuilt and the diffs sorted.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:42 am

New body!