Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #2

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Re: Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #2

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:48 am

Yeh that's what I did too in the late 80's when I was trying to beat RC10's with my stock Wild One lol! I just wasn't sure if that was still the done thing as I hadn't seen it done recently (not that I have looked!).

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:31 am

shadowfocus603 wrote: I probably achieved my personal best results soldering this all together. I used servo tape to install the esc to the battery hold down to keep the electronics weight central on the chassis as well as to facilitate the motor wire length I was given. I'm quite pleased with the overall fit and finish of the installed system.
I wouldn't leave it like that if I were you. between the heat from the esc, and the jarring of the track, that's going to come loose. I'd put that combo on your truck, as it has a metal plate in that spot for you to mount the esc onto. Then put your esc/combo in his truck and tone that one down. :wink:

Otherwise, consider strapping it (vertically) to the shock tower. I've seen that done with a mamba max pro on the LCG traxxas chassis before.

JKRacing37
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunchbox

Post by JKRacing37 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 pm

If you want to leave the ESC like that, mount it with a dab of Shoe-Goo.

shadowfocus603
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Blackfoot

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:03 pm

If it comes loose then I'll figure it out. I prepped the surfaces with alcohol to promote maximum adhesion. I can hold the truck up by the esc for now so it should be good. I just threw the basher tires on it and ran it on lipo. Not as fast as my 4700kv but definitely enough. I could mess with the timing to get more as it's at zero right now. Could also look into a turbo/boost firmware but that's all way down the road. As is it's faster than the 12t but not insane and the boy likes it. I'm just happy that none of my solder joints let go and the motor and esc stayed barely warm to the touch. Run time to lvc was over 10 minutes.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:37 am

So an update for the guys who are watching the esc situation. I am very happy so far with it. My son has put a couple dozen packs through it over the course of 2-3 race days and it has performed flawlessly. First thing we did when we got it was update it to the v3 mod firmware since there is no intention to run it blinky. Although, ironically, we are running it at zero timing/boost etc so it may as well be in blinky mode :lol: Anyways. There have been several occasions where this esc, alongside the 10.5t sensored Neewer, has been run through 2-3 packs consecutively and heat has not been an issue at all. Most I have ever seen on the motor was around 110*. Less than that on the esc itself. I am impressed with this combo enough I will be running it my own truck soon enough. I decided to swap the powertrain from my Slash into my new ProLite 1/8 scale buggy :twisted: There is the old adage you get what you pay for but in the case of this esc, I think the scales are weighted more in favour of you get more than you pay for. Of course, that being said, next raceday it will probably fail spectacularly and make me into a liar but until then, I stand by this review :)

Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks for the update on the esc's. My latest truck build us happening very slowly, not sure whether to run these or stick with brushed on 3S.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:54 am

So after using this truck as a step stone into racing, my son decided he wanted to trade it off for an SC10 we came across on Facebook. She will get shipped out tomorrow. She has dirt oval in her future in Missouri.

New truck