HPI Micro RS4 Ken Block Edition

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

HPI Micro RS4 Ken Block Edition

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 pm

So after realizing how much my toddlers (ages 2 and 3) loved chasing my trucks around when I'd run them in the house I decided to downscale and get something a bit easier to drive indoors. Had seen the Ken Block bodied Traxxas cars but they were too big and people are charging idiotic prices for used ones. Then I saw the Micro RS4. I always loved the idea of them but never got one. Until now. Lol. The previous owner installed the lipo and brushless motor and esc (Hobbyking 25A esc and a 7T 6560kv motor) for which I am grateful. It came as ready to bind with a Spektrum reciever but I ordered a Flysky GT3B transmitter set for it since I didn't have any Spektrum transmitters lying around. Best part? $168 shipped. And this thing is mint. Not a mark on it anywhere. Only been ran indoors. So as of now I await my transmitter as well as an Imax B6 charger to charge the lipo (guess I can buy lipos for the other trucks now :twisted: ). All pics are from the listing since he took all the pics that mattered and I'm lazy :nana:

This car is being left completely as is once I swap in the new receiver. I ordered the tuning card for the esc and will use it to dial it down inside then turn it up to 11 when I take it outside (my local Walmart has a freshly paved glass smooth parking lot calling my name). Only thing I am going to do is order a matching set of wheels and install some drift tires on them. I thought about ordering a 3s pack for it as I am a shameless speed junky but honestly I'm not because it'll only break parts and I'd rather not hurt the body.
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: HPI Micro RS4 Ken Block Edition

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 pm

[youtube]JwH1FSkEUwI[/youtube]

That is a replication of this video.

[youtube]WUO-lPubXeI[/youtube]

Warning: May cause an addiction to drift and all things awesome.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Got my radio in today and was able to run this. OMG :shock: . Absolutely NOT running 3s. It's so fast now it pretty much lifts off past half throttle. I definitely want to hit some fresh asphalt with it and see what it can do. My road is ill suited for the low ground clearance. I've already scuffed up the body :? so I might grab another one down the line for a "show" or shelf body. When my programmer card gets here I'm going to see how far back I can dial this and try to get it sane.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Sweet! I did see on nick though. :mrgreen: I too love these little cars. I have 4 of them plus a ton of spare parts. I would love to see a video of it on 3s! I have seen that first video you posted before. Some amazing driving skills!
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:59 am

Haha yea 3s isn't happening. Either I or the previous owner blew the front diff on 2s (more likely him as it has driven funny since I got it). I realized a few days ago something was off with it and did some checking and found no drive in the front. Pulled it down tonight and found the side gears stripped smooth. I ordered a new complete front diff and will use the shims from my old one to tighten it up even more to try and negate the issue. I also had the screw holding the motor plate back off and strip the press fit plastic pinion (11t) so I got a steel 9t to replace it. I'm serious when I say this thing is too fast for what it is. At full click I can't keep the wheels on it. Try finding something that small when it comes off at 20+ #-o With the punch control maxed now and the timing at 0 with the 9t pinion HOPEFULLY I'll be able to run it without it :explosion: