Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #1

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #1

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 pm

So I threw on my basher gear and ran one of my new lipos today. Had the lvc set to 3.2 and ran for 18 minutes solid before it cut off. Grabbed the truck and checked the pack and it was at 7.22. So true to form it's a hobbywing with an innacurate lvc. I dropped lvc toto 3.0 and will run another pack later or more likely tomorrow. Truck is absolutely bonkers even with no timing, slipper set 1/8 - 1/4 turn out, and the punch set at 5. Even rolling 1/4 throttle if I drop the trigger she will pull the front wheels. I don't think my basherbody helps. Original owner cut the windshield out in what I am assuming was an attempt to vent the body. So it was scooping air hard. Max speed geared 19/86 is still mid 30's. Motor temp after 18 minutes was only 115 or so. So I hav plenty of leeway on my temps toplay with gearing and timing but honestly I'm happy where it's at. It has plenty of oomph to clear the triple at the track which is a hairpin turn with a shortrun up yet it still has speed for fun running at home. One thing I'm going to have to look at is goingzero rear toe bashing. I love the stability but my rear bash tires are at 1/2 tread already lol. Small price to pay for the fun. I might get a set of street tires with a 3s pack and gear it to the moon fora speed pass at some point. Pics of bash mode up in a bit.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Run those traxxas S-1's you have for street duty and I think you'll be very happy.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Keep in miind that the LVC is measuring voltage of the battery whilst under load. Once you stop the load is eliminated, so the voltage of the battery rises.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Andy I forgot I had those :oops: lol. And SG I grant that there will be some of that but not that much I suspect. I'm going to run another pack with it at 3.0 and I'll leave my external voltage alarm on it as a back-up. I'd like to get the esc set to handle it alone. It doesn't help that I have to use even increments. 3.0 3.2 3.4 etc.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:54 pm

So Here is a pic with the basher body and the Trenchers right after the first run.

And here it is after the second pack which I'll discuss in a sec.

So I was up to 17 minutes on the second pack and the truck still had ballistic power with no cut outs. Then I had a little kaboom (quite literally).

Nothing too severe. I reset the bead and re-glued it. Should be good to go. More and more I am convinced this truck is going to be a track only deal and I am going to get a Stampede to run around my yard or something lol. When I pulled the second pack voltage was at 7.6v so it still had a ways to go before lvc.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 am

Since I was working on the truck anyways I went ahead and swapped the servo for one of the metal gear servos from the Clod (it'll be down until I get a new chassis:cry:). Threw the other one in my sons truck. I'll have the wiring later this week to run them straight from the battery pack (277oz of torque and 0.16 transit speed at 7.4v). A bit on the slow side but after having my son strip one of the 2075 servos that was just rebuilt I am not worried about the speed and torque so much as the durability. The other bits are just added icing on the cake. Will grab a couple TS-920 Trackstar servos later on (maybe the TS-411 still undecided) once I get some more cash to play with. As it is I am just going to race it and be happy.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:59 am

Since it's been awhile I figured I'd post an update. This truck has been run fairly frequently with Andy and all the guys at The Barn It has treated me well. It will, however, be getting semi-retired for a decked out SC10 I bought from a fellow racer. I'll keep this one stashed away as I bought it brand new all the way back in 2010 as a stock Slash and I refuse to let it go.