Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #1

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Re: Slash Open Class Racer/ Basher

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:21 am

8.4v nihm packs are fine, as are 2S lipo's.
Now if you showed up with a 3S.... um.. yeah...

I can let you use some lipo's if you make it Tomorrow.

shadowfocus603
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Blackfoot

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:22 am

Have spent the last week or so just running the Slash getting used to it. Installed the rear toe mounts (1.5* per side) after running at the track with Andy last week. Tonight I got my new rear camber links installed. Also swapped in new front axles and rear drive shafts (TRA6852x). Old links:

No more skate parks. Ever. So much damage everywhere I look. As of now I THINK I have gotten everything fixed since everything has pretty much been replaced. Last thing to swap in is the Proline kingpins when I get them later this week. Here's a current pic of the truck:

I have RPM camber and toe gauges on order so I will be able to really start dialing the suspension in. Another bit of news is this truck is soon to have a son! My son's Rustler is getting swapped over to a LCG Traxxas Slash chassis. We scored the whole LCG kit for $12.50 shipped. Now I'll have the opportunity to compare two diff methods of LCG back to back.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:26 am

Andy if you have a good basic set-up for camber and toe you'd be willing to share I'd greatly appreciate it.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 am

I'd keep your camber mild, you can copy my slash next time you come down.
I'd start with 1 degree on your camber and slight tow out.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 am

So after getting my sons truck set up tonight I notice that the traxxas lcg chassis maintains the stock wheelbase whereas the strc kit seems to come up 0.25 - 0.50" shorter. Need to get a scale once both trucks are in full trim and see what weight differences may exist.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Re: Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #1

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:12 am

:explosion: So I found the weakest link on my Slash tonight. I was driving up and down the road cycling my 2 older packs that have sat awhile and ripped past myself at full clip. As I turned the truck drifted to the left and before I could react I caught a telephone pole just left of center #-o Truck was running an easy 20 - 25mph. Carnage was light. I bent a kingpin (one of my new steel Proline pins which irked me) and I broke one of the posts that the bellcranks ride on on the upper deck. That's an honest first for me. It was actually quite beautiful to watch in a twisted sort of way. I figured sure I had managed to destroy some of the RPM bits or worse had fragged the actual chassis plate but nope.jpg. Will post pics at some point if I remember. I had spare pins and an upper deck so it was fixed in less than 20 minutes. This does give me an opportunity to look into fabbing up metal posts for the bellcranks to swing on and have them be screwed into the upper deck and chassis plate to positively capture the assembly. Should stiffen things up a bit as well.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:09 am

Forgive my crude mounting method lol. That speed was with the pack levelled off not running on the initial peak of the charge so I could probably eek it closer to 40 if I measured with the pack fresh. Not the goal of this build but it's still fun to know. The subject came up when my mother in law asked how fast it went and I realized I didn't actually know other than it was faster than cars on my 25mph road. It doesn't hold a candle to Mr 99mph but I'm happy :lol:

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Your probably going to want to gear that down for track use (unless that's 3S), because you'll never have room to make use of that speed.

Having said that, pretty sweet! :thumbsup:

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm geared 19/86 for now until we can get some different pinions ordered. Thats just running 8.4 nimh with the timing at 26.5*

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:43 pm

That's a decent gear ratio, but I would knock the timing down to zero if you can.
That will make things easier on both your motor, and your battery.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Agreed on the timing. I just had it up for that speed run.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:36 am

So much like my sons truck, my truck also got a new pair of shoes. Running the same wheel and tire combo. Hot Bodies Beams in pink (super soft) compound on JConcepts Rulux wheels.

Last week at the track I got some laughs since I showed up with an unpainted body. Finally got my paint yesterday and did a little work and here is how the truck looks now.

I'm happy with how it's all turned out. I'm not usually a bright colors guy (being colorblind you learn to stay away from them) but I went with a Pikachu theme as I have liked him since I was a kid. For all you old codgers Pikachu is a pokemon lol. I should probably explain pokemon next but hey that's what google is for :lol: Anyways the truck is sitting in full race trim and tune and just waiting for the weekends action.

Edit: Should add I got a couple 2s 5200mah Floureon 30C lipos in yesterday. Ran one with the Trencher tires in each truck and all I can say is wow. Even my sons truck with stock 12t wakes up far more than I expected. I ordered a couple voltage alarms since his esc is the pre-lvc model.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Great day at the track today. First day jitters plus a a wiring issue in my first qualifier hurt me but the day ended with me at least finishing my main so I call that a success. For some unknown reason my Tamiya paint on my body didn't stick so I blew out all the loose paint then scuffed the inside of the body with a green scotchbrite pad for adhesion and filled in the missing paint with some different colors. Andy gave me the idea as well as another guy at the track. Everything not yellow was all paint that broke loose today.

Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 pm

The paint job actually looks pretty cool. At times I have motivation to race, but the local club race on an indoor carpet track about 50 minutes from where I live and they race on Friday nights at 7pm. I just fall over the line from work on Fridays, it's just not going to happen! I think I would like it though.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:01 pm

I like it more than I expected to. My son really seems to dig it as well. We both have good cars. Just need more practice.