Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #1

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Blackfoot

Traxxas Slash Basher/Racer #1

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:45 pm

This is the body I painted for this truck around 3-4 years ago right before I got out of the hobby for awhile. The truck was my fiance's basher as I had a 4x4 Slash and she likes Chevy and American flags. The paint was my first real attempt at a non solid color paint job. It's meh but it'll work.

Now, moving on. The idea for this truck is basically to have a race worthy Slash 2wd on a budget. Kinda. That never lasts but I am at least giving it the old college try for now. After breaking the rear ears off the chassis for the third time (skate parks are so fun yet so expensive in the long run lol) I decided I'm done with the high cg chassis and skids. So, I bought a complete chassis from a Bandit VXL on ebay and am going to make a homemade LCG chassis out of it. I'm torn between two methods. One involves cutting the chassis in half, then getting another chassis and doing the same to it in such a way to add the 1 13/16" extra wheelbase that the Rustler/Bandit lack as compared to the slash. The other option is cloning the STRC kit and living with the gap in the rear of the chassis. I will be doing option 2 at least to start. Gonna grab some aluminum flat stock as soon as the chassis gets here and get to stretching. I'm planning on running the Proline Protrac kit as well as their Powerstroke shocks to maximize every bit of handling potential I can get. I'm going to replace the axle carriers, caster blocks, and knuckles with RPM bits as the reviews I have seen indicate the Protrac parts tend to snap when bashed. As for electronics, I'm undecided. VXL is too common although unstoppable so that might be an option. I prefer to use the Turnigy Trackstar 120a SCT esc.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... k_ESC.html
Sensored/sensorless with 4s potential :twisted: For a motor I'll probably get something milder to start, like a 13.5. Maybe. I have a speed craving so that'll be decided later. Going to run a high C rating 2s to get used to the truck and up-volt down the line.
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Re: Slash Open Class Racer/ Basher

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Just an aside to my original plan. I decided I'm going to run the entire RPM catalogue on this truck and forget the Protrac for now. I may just buy the STRC lcg kit as well to simplify things. I'm also going to run the longer rustler rear arms and use front wheels on all 4 corners.
Last edited by shadowfocus603 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:02 am

RPM rear carriers are a good idea, as for the rest.... not ideal for racing, save your money for your clod-build. ;)

I agree on pro-track, not about breaking, but didn't like it on my last mod-truck.
(works great on a short rustler though)

On the chassis, do the 2-and-make-one. I've done it, and out of all the chassis I've done/tried for the slash, it's the only one I'd do again.

The powerstrokes I guess are nice, but pricey. All you really need are aluminum caps and TiNi shafts for what you already have. Rustler (linear) springs are a good upgrade over the stock progressive springs.

I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill, but you are getting ready to throw a LOT of money at something that's supposed to be a budget racer, and only needs a nice even amount.

Aluminum front castor blocks and steel king pins would be a good idea though.
An aluminum front bulkhead and lundsford hing pins if you are determined to spend money.

The best mod for racing?...... Pilot-wrench. :mrgreen:

I raced my stock-slash in open mod last week and took 2nd in the A-main. I don't have the fastest laps, but I'm pretty consistent, I let the hot-dogs go, and pass right on by while they are on thier lids waiting to get marshalled... and also, the XL-5 and 12T are faster on a track than many give it credit for.

Hope this helps you some. :)

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 pm

So I slapped the wheels and bumpers as well as the suspensions on a Rustler chassis and here is where she sits now.

As it sits it has RPM full suspension (arms carriers knuckles towers) and an RPM gear cover as well as the rear bumper. I have the RPM front bumper and hybrid tranny case on the way as well as a set of spline drive revolvers and a set of trenchers for bashing. It already has the aluminum bulkhead so I am covered there. I will say I ran the STRC hinge pins and snapped the heads off two of them in the front while skate park bashing so I am leery of them. The stock pins have worked flawlessly for years now. It has big bore shocks with ti-ni shafts but it still has the Slash springs so those may get swapped. I'm going to do the STRC lcg kit for awhile and purchase a couple cheap chassis plates to section so as to be able to compare back to back and see which is better. I may ask my son if he wants to Slash his Rustler (slash, synonym for cut harhar) and be able to compare the two chassis styles directly. For now I am running the XL5 and 12t Titan on 8.4 but I need to up-gear as it has the stock Rustler gearing and it accelerates like now but tops out low.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:52 am

If you get a couple of really high c-rated 2S lipo's you will see a pretty big gain. I see that's not an LVD model XL-5, but you can still run a lipo, just get an alarm or stop when it starts to fade a bit.

Reason I said no on the rpm is that those arms are going to flex instead of staying consistent as you try and track though turns. Hitting the boards and pipes on a track, while you can hit them hard, it's not the same as a bad landing from way up high onto the concrete of a skate park. I think I've broken one front arm and zero rear arms on my trucks.

Just sharing my experience, nothing wrong with trying stuff out. :wink:

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 am

I think I have the stock plastic arms so when I decide to go race it'll be easy to swap them in. Thanks for the advice. It makes sense that if they flex to avoid breaking they will flex too when you don't want them to.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Got my lcg kit from STRC. The seller I got it from had it listed as gunmetal in color but after the sale emailed me to inform me it was actually green :? I said what the heck and went with it. Maybe I'll go green theme with this truck too lol. As far as the kit goes, quality piece of kit but maybe a bit over engineered. Top to bottom it's 4 plates of aluminum. Adds more weight than I realized to the truck for sure. I also have to say I'm not thrilled with the lack of printed directions. They say go to their online guide but nearly every pic is broken. -_- At least a printed exploded view would be sufficient. It's not overly complicated but come on. Anyways pics.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:47 am

That came out pretty good. :thumbsup:

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:34 am

Ordered a Hobbywing EZRun Wp-Sc8 esc tonight as well as the EZRun 3656 4700kv motor. The motor I had in this truck before was a Sidewinder 4600 (esc let the smoke out) so I think the Sc8 esc will be a good match for my driving style. The motor is 4 pole so I think it'll have good torque and versatility. Should be here Wednesday. I'll be getting a couple 2s lipos for it soon but first few runs will be on 8.4v nimh. Can not wait to get the first run in.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 am

That's a good system, I hope you got the program card, it makes life a lot easier when you want to change stuff. ;)

You order tires yet?

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:26 am

I did get the programming card. I've been a believer in them since the first time i used one with my sidewinder before. For tires I picked up some trenchers for now to bash at the park. Still looking at race tires.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 am

Big night tonight! Got my motor and esc in so I got them all wired up minus the battery plugs (I forgot to order them firstly so it'll be a day or two til they come). Also got the RPM hybrid transmission in. The motor plate is a separate piece of aluminum which eliminates the malformation of the stock plastic case where the motor mount screws clamp down as well as the new plate acts as a heatsink to pull heat out of the motor which is always good. The new transmission also allows you to swap the arm mounts for 0 or 3 degrees toe in (or out I gouess if you wanted) which allows even more tuning. I went ahead and installed the RPM Revolver wheels I got (4 fronts) along with the new Trencher tires from Proline. You might question why 4 fronts? Because I will be running wide Rustler arms from RPM soon and the front offset wheels in the rear will align the front and rear wheels perfectly and result in a truck that is about 3/4" wider per side. Who needs the Protrac kit? Lol. I went ahead and took Andy's advice and installed the Rustler straight rate springs I had and tossed the progressive Slash springs in the garbage. They are so old they have collapsed to about 2/3 their original length. I added preload until the arms come up level front and rear after a 2 foot drop. So here goes the parts list:

RPM

Front and rear arms
Front and rear bumpers
Front and rear shock towers
Front knuckles and carriers
Rear carriers
Hybrid transmission housing
Revolver front splinedrive wheels (4)

Traxxas

Rustler chassis
8.4v nimh 4200mah iD batteries
Big bore aluminum shocks w/ titanium nitride shafts
Rustler springs
Camber and toe links

STRC

Front bulkhead
Aluminum bellcranks
Most of the hingepins
(fronts are stock Traxxas as I ripped the heads off the STRC ones)
LCG kit

Proline

Chevy Silverado body
Trencher tires

Hobbywing

WP SC8 esc
4700kv motor

Looking at this now I realize there is literally nothing stock Slash except for the gears in the transmission and the camber and toe links. I built most of this as it sits years ago when the Slash originally launched (run, break, upgrade, repeat) and only needed to add a few parts here and there to bring it to where it sits now. I am feeling kind of ill at ease because once this truck is all buttoned up (which should be within a week or so now) all my builds will be finished and I'll only be running. The horror! :lol: Alright enough of this long winded crap. I know why you're all here. Pics!

You can see in the last pic that the rear track width is wider than the front which will be remedied when I get the wide arms on it.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:33 pm

shadowfocus603 wrote: I went ahead and installed the RPM Revolver wheels I got (4 fronts) along with the new Trencher tires from Proline. You might question why 4 fronts? Because I will be running wide Rustler arms from RPM soon and the front offset wheels in the rear will align the front and rear wheels perfectly and result in a truck that is about 3/4" wider per side. Who needs the Protrac kit? Lol.
Keep in mind, if your tires don't tuck inside your fenders, no track is going to let you race that.
That is basically the biggest no-no in SCT racing, as it's pretty obvious to spot.

What I'd suggest, is using a small washer between the hex and the front wheel to shim-out the the front offset some and better match the rear. That will likely have you right at the limit of what you can get away with.

Truck looks good, and those trenchers will be a LOT better than the stockers you had on there. They may not "stick" like some super-soft tires would, but I bet you could race it like that..... and Sunday's coming.... ;)

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:58 pm

So some smart guy told me the wide Rustler arms were going to be too much for this truck. I should have listened lol. Got them installed and the tires are about 3/8" past the fenders #-o Off they came and I shimmed the wheel out to match the rear track width. Came out near perfect. I also got and installed the battery connector for the esc and have gotten the esc programmed. Took it out for a quick rip and am impressed. Still need to glue the tires (tonight) then going to run a couple packs through it tomorrow to dial it some more then HOPEFULLY try to make it down for some race action Sunday. Wrong tires for the track of course but the Trenchers will be better than the stockers. Will try to post up a completed pic later tonight.

PS: pulling the arms wasn't so bad in the long run as I needed to rebuild the shocks, adjust the front alignment, replace some bent hinge pins, and boil and straighten the arms. So overall it was a productive endeavor.

shadowfocus603
Approved

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:17 am

This is how it looked with the wheels shimmed out. I ran it like this for its maiden voyage and drained a pack ripping up and down the street. Runs well. Fast but not insane. I was having steering issues (thought it was binding but nope stupid expo and dual rate i set bass-ackwards and basically had minimal steering). Was awesome for speed runs at least lol. Truck tracks straight. After messing with the camber and toe links I had to reset everything by eye and ruler but it came out well. Need to get some kind of set up station, or at least a camber guage. After the run I fixed the steering settings on my TQ 2.4 and got max throw back. Decided to pull the shims and just leave the track width at what it comes out to. The tires were pushing the fender edges and I don't feel like having to fix it at the track. I need to throw some connectors on the 2 older 4500mah nimhs I have and see if they are any good as I am guessing most places won't let me run 8.4 packs. Andy, I am hoping to get down there Sunday and at least practice with you guys. Like I said before I have never been the racing type but I am definitely willing to give it a go. Let me know what time Sunday at the Barn.