Andy's DT-03 NEO-Fighter Buggy!

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Administrator

Re: Andy's DT-03 NEO-Fighter Buggy!

Post by SFC K » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:26 pm

With the results you been putting up, I would not change much...It's a winner and everyone must be scratching their heads as too how. :mrgreen:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Well the 2 guys that were (a lap) ahead of me were in a losi 22 and a B5... both brushless. I've got to tighten things up some, as there is a lot of slop in the linkages. I still can't believe the stock tires have worked so well, but new tires should be here this week. More power is on the way too.... One of the guys here is an old-time carpet-racer and when he heard I was running brushed he went and got 2 of his old motors and gave them to me. They are 19T double-wound mod-motors, and I'm bettin' when my XL-5 channels some juice from the 6500mah 65C lipo's I use to them... they will really fly! (or at least I'm hoping so). The magnets in these things feel 10X more powerful than the ones in the firebolt. Oh an speaking of the firebolt, it really did do well and stayed quite cool (it has a fan) so I may try it with the 19-tooth pinion when that comes in as well.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:53 pm

To be doing what you are doing with brushed and they have brushless that says a lot and the original tires too! That was cool he gave you those motors. I bet the lipos will wake them up. I have a 15T Firebolt in my MERV so I am tracking on the fan. I really love that motor in that little truck and they are light too. Much lighter than the Titan motor. :mrgreen:

Keep us updated... 8)
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Well.... interesting.

The 19t doubles topped out at about the same speed as the 15t firebolt.
However..... the punch and torque getting to that speed?...... wheelies happened at times. :)
The new tires really gripped well, and the buggy was able to do better lap-times in practice.

However getting it all figured out involved a few ... more than a few crash+and burns.
2 laps into my opening qualifier.... :explosion:

Was really wishing I had NOT put the rear turnbuckles on.... ripped the ear right off the gear case........ done for the day... :(
If you think about it, the stock upper arm holds the ear by both sides, as opposed to the ball stud that puts it all on one side making it easier to have leverage rip it off.

Ordered 2 gear case parts trees, so I'll have a spare if this happens again. Will also be putting the stock upper arms back on as well.

Up front I'd like to keep the turnbuckles, as that was out of adjustment (un-even) with the stock front upper arms, and also with smaller tires up front, and "give" since there is steering linkage, hopefully it will be alright.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue May 05, 2015 12:34 am

Interesting Andy. I am having a hard time understanding why the adjustable turn buckles would cause the breakage. Do you have pictures of the damage?
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:27 am

No pic, but think about it, you got the mounting tab sticking out the side of the gearbox. In stock form, a hinge pin goes into the arm, through the tab, then into the other side of the arm. So leverage placed on the mounting point is distributed (evenly) the whole length of the pin/arm. Now you take the pin and arm off..... run a screw through the back side of the tab, then add a spacer... then a ball stud..... and pop the end of the turnbuckle over the ball stud. .... and remember we are talking tamiya plastic.... it takes less force to rip that screw out of the housing/tab on the gear case, because all the force is concentrated at one end.

Or lets put it another way.... :)
Go up to a 4x4 fencepost and drill a hole in the top of it big enough to put a metal bar through.
Put a metal bar through the hole and then grab it by BOTH sides and pull.... (trying the break the top off).
Then slide the bar to one side a little, put both hands on THAT side and try and bust the hole out.
See where I'm going with this now?

It's not that camber links are bad, it's just that the mounting point on the gearbox is not beefy enough to withstand too many nasty crashes..... like when you come down vertically or on your side because you misjudged a jump or are not used to the new power and how it reacts to the same inputs that were fine last time around. I had the same types of crashes the last two weeks, but this seemed to break way too easily, so no more rear camber links on this one, and besides, in stock/fixed form the rear was about right anyways. You know that old addage about fixing something that isn't broken right?.... Rear was fine, was only the front that needed adjustment.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 am

Got some great runs in with the buggy this past Sunday! Knocked over a half second off my lap times, getting a best of 19.6 (was stuck in the 20's before this). Put the 19t pinion on there and now I'm able to triple-double the five-pack! We raced the stadium trucks and buggy's together, pulling on a 13.5T (sensored brushless) stadium truck on the straight is a GOOD feeling.

I had my pinion's set screw back off during the main tho.... bummer.... :roll:

Then after the races I ran more practice laps pushing to see how much I could do with it and it was really good, then I had a really nasty crash, went flipping and hit the boards... ka-boom! It was bad, it landed on it's wheels, but looked wrong (slumped) and then it also would not steer... uh-oh.... :explosion:

I broke the front shock tower (same type of break as the rear), bent the right tie rod, and snapped my servo-saver in half! :shock:

I thought I could rig up a front tower, but failed. :(
I did fix the servo saver though.. well by that I mean I had a small kimbrough one that fit, but was a different style, so I had to mount the linkage to it upside down.

Decided to splurge on tower hobbies and ordered the tamiya hop-up carbon shock towers front and rear. I also ordered a nylon wing for the arrma raider, as it looks to be about the right size and if I'm lucky the stock holes are in the right spots (they look like they are). The stock wing is getting pretty beat up. Should be here for the weekend if I'm lucky.

No carnage pics, but here's some from when I first put the turnbuckles new tires, and 19t mod-motor in.
DSCN2117.JPG
DSCN2117.JPG (224.61 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
DSCN2118.JPG
DSCN2118.JPG (190.34 KiB) Viewed 1920 times

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:08 am

My new parts came in! 8)

CF shock towers and a new wing for the Fighter Buggy!
DSCN2122.JPG
DSCN2122.JPG (198.79 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
This is the wing for the arrma raider 1/10 buggy, it bolts right up.
DSCN2123.JPG
DSCN2123.JPG (185.89 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
I just used 3M screws with washers and tamiya flanged nuts underneath instead of the plastic lower retainer and self-tapping screws.
DSCN2125.JPG
DSCN2125.JPG (195.48 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

New wing looks nice and all... but it needs something..... :idea:
That's better! :mrgreen:
DSCN2128.JPG
DSCN2128.JPG (180.08 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:28 am

Well I had some bad luck with my mod-motors wearing out, but.... I still had my 15T firebolt handy. :mrgreen:
Unfortunately I then ran into radio and esc (calibration) issue's that really messed me up. :(
I fixed these after the races and one of the guys shot a lot of footage of me practicing and made this video, enjoy!

:mrgreen:

[youtube]gj7E0Z4Q2kk&[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Nice additions to your Neo Andy. Your friend really does an awesome job at making videos for you. At first I thought it was a video marketing the Tamiya buggy. =D>
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:54 am

Well the Neo Fighter had a pretty good outing Sunday, actually winning a qualifier and placing 2nd in our 2WD buggy-open A-main. 8)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:14 pm

We switched to dirt-oval this week. The Neo Fighter proved to be very stable and consistent.
We went to 3 qualifiers and it won all 3 getting TQ.
I'm sure it helped that the buggy didn't have to be marshalled once all day.... :wink:

Then this happened .... Tamiya wins! =D>
DSCN2141.JPG
DSCN2141.JPG (193.71 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
That's against (in order) a losi 22, a kyosho RB5, and (ironically) my old traxxas bandit.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 pm

SWEET! That is very impressive!
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Dirt-oval trophy race this week, was hoping to nail 1st, but ended up with a very close 2nd making that durango sweat.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:29 am

Any updates Andy, just re read th thread. Love the underdog!