Andy's DT-03 NEO-Fighter Buggy!

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Administrator

Re: Andy's DT-03 NEO-Fighter Buggy!

Post by SFC K » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:Any updates Andy, just re read the thread. Love the underdog!
Funny you bring this up. Andy was very kind in sending his winning machine to me. 8) 8) :pray: :handshake: I disassemble it and rebuilt it just like Andy had it. I'm just waiting for spring to get here to run it.

Thanks Andy! You are very generous! =D>
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:27 am

Your welcome Jeff!

I was meaning to post in here sooner, but it's been a busy time for me. I had Taken the fighter buggy about as far as it would go and was starting to break parts, mostly gearboxes, due to the suspension mounts and adjustable camber links... they just could not take the air I was getting on some of the jumps with the power I was running... and well the jumps were really sending it on the layout at that time.

Still... it was a great buggy and I had a lot of fun with it. =D>

I decided to pay it forward to Jeff. It worked out pretty good too, as I gave it to him around veterans day.
(he's in the National Guard and has been deployed previously)

Can't wait to see what fun you have with this one Jeff. It'll last a long time if you leave the stock motor in there... something I probably should have done... :lol:
:explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:58 am

Great story! I have been researching the local club..... I probably wont join, not sure I can commit to 7pm Friday night racing! It's a small club and they only run SCT (open), 4wd (open), 2wd (stock 17.5T), and novice. They have enough numbers for one race for all but 2wd stock, where they run A & B mains. I'v been researching 2wd stock buggies.... like I said though, the time of the races is a major turn off though (plus indoor carpet racing).

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Oh, it will stay stock just like you sent it to me Andy! :wink:

My friend John and I went to "The Toy box" with local Club racing just across the border. We would like to run our SCT's and I plan on bringing this buggy as well. It is a small course but I think it will do well as long as I don't crash it. :lol: We are only going to run in the open track days.
Jeff

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:46 pm

SFC K wrote:Oh, it will stay stock just like you sent it to me Andy! :wink:

My friend John and I went to "The Toy box" with local Club racing just across the border. We would like to run our SCT's and I plan on bringing this buggy as well. It is a small course but I think it will do well as long as I don't crash it. :lol: We are only going to run in the open track days.

Well despite me trying to convince Andy it probably wasn't a great start point for the 2wd racing class (unless he wanted a challenge !), he well n truly proved what a decent driver can do with the most basic of kits.

Provided you keep the motor sensible, and in keeping with the cost of the kit initially, they are quite a good buggy - you can flip the front arms over to increase the wheelbase a little (an old trick from the DT-02 cars that share the parts) if you want, but the increased wheelbase of the DT-03 over the DT-02 makes it a little pointless, and if you have a tight track keep it as per the manual ;)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:24 am

Percy was a great advisor..... and I did my very best to do..... the exact opposite of what he told me to do..... #-o :lol:

I wanted to be "different"..... and also represent Tamiya. Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to pick up a TRF201 and hi-end electronics.
Having said that.... I was able to get the DT-03 with minimal upgrades to give the hi-end buggy's fits.... and that was indeed priceless. =D>

The DT-03 is a great beginner-buggy, very simple, yet effective.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:57 pm

Having watched Andy run this buggy for quite awhile I can say it was comical to see. The things he was doing with it powered by 12-15t brushed motors were incredible. He pushed the guys with far more racing inspired designs and made them earn every position from him.