SFC K's RC10 Worlds build

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

SFC K's RC10 Worlds build

Post by SFC K » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 pm

I broke down and bought the Worlds kit. I was going to go with the mono shock up front, but after mocking it up, realized the front tube supports were going to be in the way and not having them on their just looked funny. Any way, going to build this kit stock for now and find a different chassis for the mono set-up.

I did have some issues with the Stealth trans but faxed my concerns to AE, so with luck I will be getting the replacement parts. Thanks to all the info on RC10talk.com on what to look out for really helped me key in on these issues from the start of the build. :wink:

I ordered the four 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/8 Flanged Metal bearings for the Steering rack from Avid for a buck each. Best deal on the web that I could find for this size. :wink:

Only thing that was a real pain was building the links. I used a technique that seemed to speed things up and worked really well and save me from having cramped fingers. I took a small Channel lock pliers and wrapped both jaws with a some electrical tape for gripping the ball ends. For the links, I took chap stick and put a little on the threads of the links. This helped screwing the ball ends onto the links effortlessly using the plastic AE link adjustment tool that comes with the kit.

My work space is a mess as I have two RC's sitting on the bench. :oops:

Jeff

cummins driver
Approved

Re: SFC K's RC10 Worlds build

Post by cummins driver » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:18 am

Wow, that is clean! Anxious to see what it looks like complete. Im kind of an associated man myself. They make some good stuff. I have a T4, and a T4.1. Both bashers, but they are really good trucks. What are you going to run for electronics? Period correct brushed motor and MSC(or did they have some ESC's available then? Im thinking not).
- Clodbuster with wheelie king chassis
Traxxas Titan 550 21t's w/14t pinions
EVX-2 Waterproof ESC
- Brushless Traxxas Stampede 2wd
- Brushless Associated MGT
- A few Nitro's, a few Stadium Trucks, and a couple 1/8 Buggies too

Justinswraps
Company Owner
First real R/C car: My first R/C was a Traxxas Hawk 2

Post by Justinswraps » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:26 am

I'm fairly jealous right now. :shock: can't wait to see it finished! :popcorn:
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

Zac_F85
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunchbox and Playtron Doberman

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:31 am

NICE! I did everything by the book - save for shock oil (30/60 w/ modded No.2 pistons in rear), rack bearings (RCBoyz on eBay $1 ea.), and I had to modify the front battery cup/strap to fit my larger 2S..

My trans went together no problem til it came time to tighten the ball dif tension bolt- had to tighten it further (use more effort than felt right) but hopefully it will get easier after the first run at the Toy Box in New Richmond

I also got Pro-line - 4 rib in super soft fronts and Pro-line Square fuzzies in soft on back

I actually installed the AE SC-700BL ESC/3300kv system from my SC10 in my mine with the radio/servo and all..

I went with box art with a RE-RE RC10 driver.. twas not easy! LOL I'll probably get another body so I don't wreck this one

only thing I'll probably do to it is titanium turn buckles, RPM rod ends, and a Novak/Tekin 17.5T setup so I can race it with the rest of the guys

EDIT- just seen your post on my thread! LOL - I did not have idler gear issues although it is VERY tight yes - the otehr issue is one if the motor plate bolts (long one behind the slipper) can tighten down to much and scrape the slipper (found out the hard way grinding a groove in the back of the spur/plate) -it's the same on new AE's too so I just leave that one a bit loose so it doesn't contact the spur

2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks Zac for the info. I like your paint job on that body a lot with the driver. I would get a beater body too. Too nice to destroy that one. What part numbers are you using for the links and ball ends?

I am still waiting for AE to acknowledge my issues with the transmission. Hopefully they will be sending me a new case and idler gear and top shaft. Let me know if your trans loosens up after you run it.

I ordered the 4 flange bearings as well for the steering rack and installed them and it is much, much better now. :wink:
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:00 pm

SFC K wrote:Thanks Zac for the info. I like your paint job on that body a lot with the driver. I would get a beater body too. Too nice to destroy that one. What part numbers are you using for the links and ball ends?

I am still waiting for AE to acknowledge my issues with the transmission. Hopefully they will be sending me a new case and idler gear and top shaft. Let me know if your trans loosens up after you run it.

I ordered the 4 flange bearings as well for the steering rack and installed them and it is much, much better now. :wink:
I haven't got the links/ends yet - the part number for the RPM ends is - 73372 for black but they make a bunch of colors - these aren't much different from the newer B4's though I usually just measure the supplied links and look for titanium replacements

I have RPM ends on my SC10 and 4.1 and they're MUCH nicer than the kit one's

All my transmissions are fine I just backed off the screw that is behind the spur gear/slipper so it doesn't contact/ grind on each other

Zac_F85
Approved

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:55 am

Hear from Associated yet? I changed mine up here - The Toy Box is doing a vintage buggy class so I'm converting mine to meet that..

Rules are -

RC10 classic front arms (PN-6205)
Jconcepts RC10 classic Hazzard 1.9& 1.7 wheels
Jconcepts RC10 green soft tires ^ for 1.9 & 1.7 wheels
Tamiya silver can 27t
open ESC/Battery/servo

If you have a Worlds kit like we do you'll also need shorter turnbuckles up front they are -

Front-
PN-6261
re-use the wide arm camber turnbuckle for the short arm toe turnbuckle
I'm assuming the king pins are the same and are re-useable

(this isn't in the rules but the rear being wider than the front may have adverse effects on the handling - I'm switching to the stock rear arms)
Rear-
PN-6355 stock arm
PN-6261 for rear camber link

Sounds like a super fun class for sure!

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 am

Thanks for the info Zac! It does sound like a fun class to run in. I don't know if this one is going to be a runner though. I still have not heard back from AE. I am going to give it a until the end of the week and see if anything shows up in the mail. They were out of the office over the holidays so that could be what is slowing them up.
Jeff

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 pm

Finally after over a month of waiting AE sent me replacement parts! :D

They actually sent me two top shafts too. Not sure why but I will take it.

Case part # 6565-001
Idler shaft and gear part # 6570-001
Top Shaft B4/T4 part # 9601

If anyone is having the same issues it is definitely worth the effort. I faxed over a customer support form and emailed them a couple times with great results.
Attachments
DSCN0825 (800x600).jpg
DSCN0825 (800x600).jpg (170.58 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Jeff

Irio - esos
Approved
First real R/C car: 1997ish model RC10T
Black annodized chassis, Gold shocks, the works~

Post by Irio - esos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 am

Wow, that is clean!
Was going to say the same thing. Looks great, love the black dye job on the arms to match the chassis.

Skinner
First real R/C car: Tamiya Blackfoot

Post by Skinner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:57 am

Sweet!! Now ya can get it done! :popcorn:
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

Zac_F85
Approved

Post by Zac_F85 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Get this thing done yet?? Mine is coming back a part!

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Zac_F85 wrote:Get this thing done yet?? Mine is coming back a part!
Oh, its been done. :mrgreen: I will add some pictures posted once I get them uploaded.
Jeff